Enthusiast III

Star, Idaho, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Spencer
Member #

Hey fellow Adventurers,
I'm taking the Colorado out this weekend for a little trail run in the Sierras. Planning to leave Roseville tomorrow at 8AM which should put me at the Deer Valley trail-head /Hermit Valley Camp around 11 o'clock.
Should be a nice rocky climb up to camp at either Deer or Clover Valley (depending on the available camp spots).
This will be the first time using the roof top tent so I'm anxious to see how that goes. It'l also be the first off road trip for my golden retriever so I'm sure it will be memorable one way or the other..
Sunday morning I'll roll out thru Forrestdale Rd. and over to Strawberry Pass, then home on HWY 50.
Currently running solo and monitoring GMRS CH15.

If anybody wants to tag along give me a shout or meet me at Hermit Valley (Probably the only Chevy Colorado on 37s in the area).

I''ll be sure to post back on how this works out, hopefully with pics of beautiful country and perfect weather!

Happy Trails,
Jim

IMG_0708.jpg

Garlic Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Gilroy, CA
First Name
Jarad
Last Name
Derosa
Member #

I’m heading up tomorrow 8/1 and plan on running Deer from North to south (88 to 4). Probably won’t be on the trailhead until noon or so. Will be in a green Wrangler lifted and locked. Also just my daughter and myself.

Garlic Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Gilroy, CA
First Name
Jarad
Last Name
Derosa
Member #

Well I didn’t see you but there sure were a ton of people on the trail! We got on the north entrance at around 2:30 and exited Hermit around 5:30. I was surprised at how technical the trail is, especially the lower 1/3. Is that the normal condition of the trail? I have read and seen a lot of video and it is tougher than I was expecting. I cannot imagine anyone getting through there on less than a 33 and a rear locker minimum.

Overmodified

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Star, Idaho, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Spencer
Member #

Bummer. You must have passed as I was getting camp set up. I was tucked way back in the trees at the lower crossing.

The trail did seem a little tougher than I remembered, but last time I was in our FJ40 on 40's. It's a completely different deal in a 126" wheelbase weighted down rig on 37's.

I agree that it would be a chore to drive it with less than 35's and a locker. There was a jeep on 33's and rear locker only that was being towed out after breaking on the uphill portion at Hermit Valley.IMG_0959.JPG

Hopefully we'll meet up next time!

Reactions: Garlic Overlander

Overmodified

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Star, Idaho, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Spencer
Member #

Deer Valley was beautiful as usual and the truck did great. We have a couple of battle scars on the sliders and I found out where I need to clearance a little more on the front fenders, but otherwise it was a great trip!

My pup (Holly) had a great time on her first camping trip. She wasn't too sure about the water at first since she's used to our pool at home, but she adjusted quickly.IMG_0954.JPG
IMG_0948.JPG

Reactions: Garlic Overlander

Overmodified

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Star, Idaho, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Spencer
Member #

The trip from Blue Lakes to Caples Lake was pretty spectacular !

Upper Blue Lake:

IMG_0973.JPG
Lost Lake:
IMG_0974.JPGIMG_0979.JPG

It was unbelievable how many people are escaping to the mountains. In 30+ years of traveling the back roads of the Sierras I've never seen this many people up in the mountains.

I think next time I'll start at Slick Rock Trail and skip the Strawberry Pass route. Definitely want to spend some more time exploring the Blue Lakes area.

Garlic Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Gilroy, CA
First Name
Jarad
Last Name
Derosa
Member #

There were too many “yahoo’s” for my taste with the blasting music and “hold my beer” crowd. I passed 2 different groups pulling out broken rigs. This year has been one for the record books. I think I’ll stick to the quiet ones like Dusy Ershim. He are a few of my pics.

Attachments

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, California, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
Hi guys. I’m running 255/75/17 (32”) with 3” lift and high clearance bumpers and rock sliders and rear lockers. Do you recommend I go into Deer Creek (Hermit Valley to Blue Lkes)?

Overmodified

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Star, Idaho, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Spencer
Member #

Hey Chris,
You're going to struggle with 32" tires and no front locker, especially with a long wheel base truck. I'm sure you could make it, but you would likely spend a lot of time stacking rocks and may need a strap at a couple of spots.
If you decide to try it I would go in from Blue Lakes so you are traveling down the more difficult part of the trail near Hermit Valley.
You definitely don't want to go alone.
My truck sits pretty tall on 37's and there were several times that I had to engage the front locker on the portion from Hermit to Deer Valley. The gate keeper obstacle was giving the group of jeeps in front of me some serious trouble and the one rig with 33" tires ended up breaking and being towed out.

If you wanted to do a really nice loop (ish) trail without risk of damage, you could take Strawberry Pass from Hwy 50 to Hwy 88, then a short ride over Carson pass to Forrestdale Road, which would drop you out at Upper Blue Lake. From there you could go to the Deer Valley Trail head at lower Blue Lake and take Deer Valley Trail to the camp area at the first water crossing. Then back out thru Forrestdale or take the pavement from Blue Lakes back to Hwy 88.

There is a lot of beautiful country to see in that area so you'll have a great adventure either way.

Good Luck!

Sierra Bound

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Cupertino, CA, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hobert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6UYI
Thank you both for the pictures and guidance. I'm a newby and was considering Hermit Valley up to Lower Blue Lake this Friday but now I'm reconsidering given my Jeep Rubicon on 33's (owned for 1 month) and only NF roads under my belt. Any advice on the difficulty of Corral Hollow for those with limited experience?

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
@Sierra Bound Corral Hollow should not be a problem for you. Take it easy on the Bear Valley (East)side Going up; it took me just under 1hr to get to the camp spot. The route on the west side which passes by the Bear trap cabin is 11 miles, easier and scenic, but takes longer to get back to 4.

Myself and two Jeeps are actually going up Corral Hollow, Bear Valley side this Friday. Then figuring out our next trails as I don’t want to venture out to Deer Valley from Hermit based on the informative feedback.

Reactions: Sierra Bound

Overmodified

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Star, Idaho, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Spencer
Member #

Corral Hollow would be a great place to start. Your Rubicon will have no issues and there are some great views at the top side of the trail near Bear Valley.
You can also take a side trail down to the cabin at Jelmini basin. There is a cool Forrest Service Cabin at Bear Trap basin thats right off Corral Hollow.

Reactions: Sierra Bound

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
Hey Chris,
You're going to struggle with 32" tires and no front locker, especially with a long wheel base truck. I'm sure you could make it, but you would likely spend a lot of time stacking rocks and may need a strap at a couple of spots.
If you decide to try it I would go in from Blue Lakes so you are traveling down the more difficult part of the trail near Hermit Valley.
You definitely don't want to go alone.
My truck sits pretty tall on 37's and there were several times that I had to engage the front locker on the portion from Hermit to Deer Valley. The gate keeper obstacle was giving the group of jeeps in front of me some serious trouble and the one rig with 33" tires ended up breaking and being towed out.

If you wanted to do a really nice loop (ish) trail without risk of damage, you could take Strawberry Pass from Hwy 50 to Hwy 88, then a short ride over Carson pass to Forrestdale Road, which would drop you out at Upper Blue Lake. From there you could go to the Deer Valley Trail head at lower Blue Lake and take Deer Valley Trail to the camp area at the first water crossing. Then back out thru Forrestdale or take the pavement from Blue Lakes back to Hwy 88.

There is a lot of beautiful country to see in that area so you'll have a great adventure either way.

Good Luck!
@Mr. Fixit
Thanks for the great feedback. I’ll be with one Jeep on 35” full lockers, but the other Jeep is on 33” open diffs.
The plan now is Corral Hollow Friday, hang out Lake Alpine Saturday, then make our way to Markeville on Sunday and loop back to Deer Valley trail via 88(Forrestdale) as you suggested. Do you have the xy-coordinates for the camp along the First water crossing?
Time permitting and see how the group feels we will consider Strawberry from 88 to 50.

Overmodified

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Star, Idaho, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Spencer
Member #

@Mr. Fixit
Thanks for the great feedback. I’ll be with one Jeep on 35” full lockers, but the other Jeep is on 33” open diffs.
The plan now is Corral Hollow Friday, hang out Lake Alpine Saturday, then make our way to Markeville on Sunday and loop back to Deer Valley trail via 88(Forrestdale) as you suggested. Do you have the xy-coordinates for the camp along the First water crossing?
Time permitting and see how the group feels we will consider Strawberry from 88 to 50.
I don't have the coordinates, but the first crossing from the Blue Lakes side is only about 30 -45 min from the parking lot. It's an easy section that follows the creek to Deer Valley Meadow which has great camping. If it's too busy there it's only about 1 to 1.5 hrs of intermediate rocky trail to the second crossing where I camped in the photos above. The section after the second crossing is where it gets more difficult.

I wouldn't suggest Strawberry Pass unless you needed to get to HWY 50 on a scenic route. It's very easy and only required me to engage 4wd for 2 small sections.

Reactions: 06tacodude

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
@Mr. Fixit
I don't have the coordinates, but the first crossing from the Blue Lakes side is only about 30 -45 min from the parking lot. It's an easy section that follows the creek to Deer Valley Meadow which has great camping. If it's too busy there it's only about 1 to 1.5 hrs of intermediate rocky trail to the second crossing where I camped in the photos above. The section after the second crossing is where it gets more difficult.

I wouldn't suggest Strawberry Pass unless you needed to get to HWY 50 on a scenic route. It's very easy and only required me to engage 4wd for 2 small sections.
We had a great time despite the ashes falling on us Saturday evening at the Hermit Valley area. Sunday we took the paved road from Hwy88 to Blue Lakes and made it ~15mins past the first creek crossing on Deer Valley Trail. We turned around because of northbound traffic and we wanted to set camp that we scope out earlier.
Monday we drove out along Forrestdale Rd, making a stop at Lost Lakes, then connected back to Hwy88 for the drive home.