Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

I only mention my garage opener because as you just noted my garage / home is 20 years old lol. It’s on borrowed time. So when I do take out my daily driver I’m like, hope the garage opens when I get home lol.
It is a PITA to switch cars all the time, that is why I downsized. In Europe there are no driveways like in US, I live in a city, so to get out the car from the garage, I have to move the car it is blocking it somewhere on the street, I park the one that was in the garage on another place in the street, I take the other one and put it in the garage.. it is like car tetris.. I had enough.
The plug in hybrids are significantly higher priced than the ICE equivalents, and even with the fuel economy and less tax, one insurance still need about 5 years to pay off the price difference, maybe more. But this added bonus of simplifying everything was priceless for me. I started to do this with many things, my life improved a lot since I started decluttering..
Even for overlanding, got a small fridge, a solar panel, and a Ecoflow, i don't want to hear anymore about dc to dc, wiring and other crap for 30 days per year of camping maybe..

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Ah the 4xe was my number 1 (initial) choice for exactly those reasons but I couldn't swing the payment right now. We also need a vehicle that's able to tote the kids and dog around and we often drive to my mom's house 12 hours away. My wife has a Honda HRV that we've outgrown. That had me looking at the 4xe ZJ, but that's even further out of reach. Ultimately settled on selling the Xterra and buying a Subaru Outback Wilderness.
This is why I'm such a fan of the 4Runner. Reasonably priced multi-purpose vehicle. It does only get like 18mpg though.

Cool variety of opinions and rigs in this thread!

I'm going to try to rig up this new Outback with a bunch of temporary/removable options for solo overlanding, family camping, hunting, etc. while still being able to comfortably drive long distances and get the car seats in and out easily as needed. Roof rack, receiver hitch for a cargo basket, REI car cot, cheapo rolling under bed storage, etc. I'm probably going to drive these Yokohama Geolander ATs that came with the wilderness trim for now, but I've already been looking more aggressive options. They do make the KO2s in the right size for my Outback and that could look pretty dang sweet.
The LP Adventure kit sure does make those things look sweet! Although, the Wilderness is a cool package on its own with a nice lift.

Reactions: dsayer

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I say build, drive, and maintain one vehicle per person. My wife has a stock econobox for going to dinner or to visit family. Financially, considering not only purchase price, but also operating/maintenance costs, taxes, registration, plates, insurance, etc., just feeding your overland rig a little extra fuel will more than make up for the difference.

The times I've had more than one vehicle, I very often found myself in a situation where something I needed with me was in the other rig.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

My rig is my daily, although I still have my 05 wrx as a backup just in case. It’s a manual so I don’t daily drive it anymore because of traffic.

For me, I knew I could only afford one truck to build up and use for the trails so it became a happy medium of offroading/overlanding.

Once I’m done with this truck (which seems like never), I’m going to get a dedicated off-roader for my day trips.