Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I just got my first DECKED system for my F150 5.5' bed. Got it all installed and I'm super stoked on it. Ordered a Softopper and when funds replenish looking at an Xtrusion bed rack. I found it used on CL for a good price and jumped on it. I am new to overlanding, not new to campng but certainly no expert hence my membership here. My questions are with what seems like the infinite options to what and how you store gear in your decked system what are you guys doing and how are you doing it? Do you keep some stuff in there 24/7 and then add the rest when you head out for a trip or do you keep your drawers full all the time? What are you storing towards the back and what do you prioritize upfront if you prioritize at all? I do not work construction or anything like that so no need to use the drawers for job-related items. Any advice, suggestions, pics, etc would be greatly appreciated.
Matt

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Nice got a pic?

You should decide what you would need if broke down as a daily driver and store that 24/7, say fluids, tools, clothes, maybe some water/food for a day....and then have your items for camping set aside ready to load when heading out on an adventure.....IMO

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I found that the dividers and tool boxes for the Decked system limit your options. I store my recovery gear, camping gear, tools, foul weather clothing. Didn't take long to fill both drawers. With locking dreawers and locking tailgate I feel everything is well secured.

Reactions: WTSMatt

drrobinson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evergreen, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0DRR
I’ve got a Frontier with 6’ bed so my Decked drawers are one narrow and one wide.

The narrow drawer contains (listed front of truck to back)
Tool roll (ATC shop roll)
Tire repair kit
Bottle jack, extensions, axle saddle
Jack base
Lug nut breaker bar
Snow broom
Katana hand saw
Recovery gear (in BRO strap bag)
Dynamic recovery strap
Bridle
2 soft shackles
2 Bow shackles (for front recovery points)
Hitch link and shackle

The wide drawer contains (front to back)
Extra clothing (in Decked large box)
Extra boots for 2 people (soft bag)
72 hr get home bag (in backpack)
First aid kit
Fire extinguisher

The side cubbies contain
Tie down points for Utilitrac and L-track in my bed
Ratchet straps, rope, and ultimate bungies

The first aid kit and fire extinguisher are all closest to the opening for rapid access. The recovery gear is also because I was worried about access if I could not open the drawer full due to obstruction. Basically the rest is organize for fit and weight distribution.

The drawers are full, but not stuffed so they don’t hang up when opening and closing. All that stuff is full time in the truck. It’s not my daily driver and if we are taking the truck, needing this gear is a real possibility. So for our load out, no camping gear in the drawers (survival gear is)

I had to think long and hard about purchasing Decked. They are pricy, but ultimately it made it possible to get into a pickup platform to tow our Hiker Trailer EOR. Giving up an SUV’s storage was hard. The weather tight drawers made it doable.

Last edited:
Reactions: bowdy85 and WTSMatt