Excursion28705

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Bakersville, Mitchell County, North Carolina, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Beaver
I’ve got a 2001 excursion 7.3 diesel and a 2000 F-250 7.3 diesel I’m trying to decide on which one would make the best rig. This is new to me,I’ve got early onset Parkinson’s at the age of 47 and it’s time I start the things I enjoy and have always wanted to do. Money is tight because of being on disability now but this is something I really want and I’m gonna put every dame into it to make it true. I’ll be staying in my vehicle for months at a time to really enjoy the good times I have left. Any and all help is so appreciated as far as advice goes, thank you all and I look forward to hopefully seeing y’all out there soon. I’ll becoming a member as soon as the founds Allow 

Attachments

Reactions: El-Dracho

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

I'd look at which one is in the best condition, to reduce expensive repairs later.
Does one of them have better equipment (lockers, winch, aux battery, suspension, etc.) already?
Are you going by yourself, or do you need room for passengers?
Do you prefer a roof top tent, camper shell, trailer, sleeping inside the vehicle, or ground tent?
Would you be comfortable hauling gear on a roof rack? And getting the gear down/loading it back up?

All things being equal, an Excursion built out to sleep inside, with a roof rack sounds pretty cool to me. But I would evaluate the list above before I committed to that.

Good on you for prioritizing quality of life/adventure. Best of luck whichever way you decide to go.

Lief_WJ

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Independence, MO, USA
First Name
Lief
Last Name
Humphreys
Service Branch
US Navy
I’ve got a 2001 excursion 7.3 diesel and a 2000 F-250 7.3 diesel I’m trying to decide on which one would make the best rig. This is new to me,I’ve got early onset Parkinson’s at the age of 47 and it’s time I start the things I enjoy and have always wanted to do. Money is tight because of being on disability now but this is something I really want and I’m gonna put every dame into it to make it true. I’ll be staying in my vehicle for months at a time to really enjoy the good times I have left. Any and all help is so appreciated as far as advice goes, thank you all and I look forward to hopefully seeing y’all out there soon. I’ll becoming a member as soon as the founds Allow 
If it were me I'd build that F250. Put a topper on it or a roof top tent some camping gear and call it ready to roll. Those 250s take a beating and come back for more.

Reactions: Excursion28705

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Being on fixed income and what I exoect is a tight budget, first determine the one that is in better shape and will lead to less repairs down the road. Second, which will be easier and less expensive to build to fit those needs. The excursion would not need a topper and an air matress in the back could do the trick, if the rest of the vehicle can store everything you need/want.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Since both the Excursion and F250 share the same 3/4 platform… if the body is in better shape on the Excursion build it… take the best parts of both trucks to make one truck.
The reason I suggest the Excursion over the F250 is comfort and ease/cost of build. In stock form all that you would have to do do is remove the third bench seat and you have room for your kitchen on one side and room for a cot on the other. No need to buy a separate cap, no need to exit the cab just to crawl in the back and get a snack, the list goes on.

Ot looks like you have a good start on the Excursion.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
First of all, I would like to say that I think it's really great that you don't let yourself be deterred from your project despite your health restrictions and that you say, now more than ever and enjoy the time as long as you can. Great!

Otherwise, good and important points have already been mentioned here. I see it similarly. Plus, what I always recommend to everyone is to listen to yourself, which rig suits you best and for which rig you have a passion. It is of no use to anyone if hundreds of people recommend a certain type of rig and you yourself do not enjoy this rig. You have to like it and you have to enjoy it!

I wish you a lot of fun on your upcoming trips.

Safe travels,
Bjoern

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
id definitely go with the excursion. lot of great reasons already mentioned and ease of access is better. this is the second pickup i've had a topper on and it can be a pain. getting in and out and climbing over the tailgate while scraping your head and back on the topper is fun. also, if it is bad weather or something is going down and you need to drive off quickly...in an excursion, you are already in there and can hop into the drivers seat without having to get out.

Lief_WJ

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Independence, MO, USA
First Name
Lief
Last Name
Humphreys
Service Branch
US Navy
I know you will have a great time with during the build and after it's done, which the most important point in the final analysis.

Reactions: grubworm

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I can’t wait to hopefully see some of you guys out there!! I definitely need to become a member!!
This is a great community. So many people have knowledge and experiences that they are more than willing to share. If you have any questions post them up on the forum or search through the threads and you are bound to get your answer.

Hope to see you out on the trails sometime.

Reactions: El-Dracho