Todd
Last Name
Guse
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0NTP
Service Branch
NA
I’m having a hard time with a decision I need to make so I’m reaching out to this great community. First, I’ll be purchasing a 2022 Tundra in August. I have been wanting a pickup to travel in for sometime so I’m pretty excited. Now for the dilemma, I currently have a 2014 FJ that I love and would love to keep but the trade in as well as private sales are really good right now. So, my question is do I keep the FJ and have a higher payment on the Tundra or trade it and cut the price of the Tundra in half? What would you do?

*Note: I’m also getting the Tundra because my kid and dog are getting bigger and we need more room. I’m also hoping to eliminate hauling a trailer on trips.

RadioGuy75067

Rank V
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Lewisville, Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Compton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5COU
Service Branch
ARMY VET
I’m having a hard time with a decision I need to make so I’m reaching out to this great community. First, I’ll be purchasing a 2022 Tundra in August. I have been wanting a pickup to travel in for sometime so I’m pretty excited. Now for the dilemma, I currently have a 2014 FJ that I love and would love to keep but the trade in as well as private sales are really good right now. So, my question is do I keep the FJ and have a higher payment on the Tundra or trade it and cut the price of the Tundra in half? What would you do?

*Note: I’m also getting the Tundra because my kid and dog are getting bigger and we need more room. I’m also hoping to eliminate hauling a trailer on trips.
If this purchase is something that you planned in your budget and the FJ is paid off, then just keep it. You can turn it into a trail and/or winter rig. But your right about the selling price being high right now. (I'm in the car wholesale business) So maybe im not really helping.... LOL

Reactions: warriorlabs

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
good bye FJ...hello Tundra!

i have a tundra and it hauls my small excavator, pulls equipment trailers, and is my stand alone camp/travel vehicle, etc
besides, thats extra insurance and registration and upkeep to keep the FJ...sell it while the selling is good

Snapspinner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fuquay-Varina, NC, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Whipple
Member #

Since you said you are getting a loan on the Tundra I'm making a few assumptions about your finances. Based on those guesses, I'd say sell or trade in the FJ to ease the cost of the new truck and give yourself a little extra budget money to enjoy the new ride.

If you where in a different financial position I'd change my vote to keeping the FJ. I think you will probably regret selling the FJ a little bit in the years to come. I believe they will continue to rise in value since they are unique and beloved vehicle with nothing on the horizon to really replace it.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

FJ's sell better now used than they ever did new, and seemingly at a premium.

I like having 2 vehicles, I don't like owing money/paying interest on loans.

How much I was going to finance and interest rate would make the decision for me. If you're paying cash, or you think you will NEED the FJ then keep it. If you are going to get drug through the finance briar patch then sell while selling is good.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Tough choice. As stated, the big considerations (finances, space, budget, time) are, understandably, private. Everyone has their own way of doing things though.

My personal philosophy with vehicles is a simple one: They're meant to be used.
Everything else should be considered a luxury.

My current situation would dictate the ability to afford a Rig #2, but not the time to use both on a consistent basis. One vehicle would sit and, therefore, is not worth my investment. It should also be noted that I'm not the type of person who will hold onto rare, unique, or otherwise "valuable" vehicle for the sake of showing/owning.

Obviously none of this is to say that my way is right. It just works for me, which is what matters. Your personal preferences and sensibilities should inform your decision. I certainly have nostalgia and sentimentality for the vehicles I've offloaded along the way, but I don't have any regrets for sticking to my way of doing things.
Good luck.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I agree with all of the above.....sounds like it's time for the FJ to go, and you are fortunate that it will go at a premium price! Take advantage of the market!!

RedDogMaster

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE USA
First Name
RDog
Last Name
Master
Totally agree. We took advantage of a crazy used car market and sold our 2012 JK Rubicon. It financed our 2022 Tacoma build and we've never looked back.