Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Howdy everyone! So since the weather is supposed to be nice for it this weekend I was thinking of taking the fam out to Death Valley for a 1 or 2 nighter of some nice ground camping. It will be the wife, 2-year-old and my dog (hes old). Myself also of course. Any suggestions of some family friendly trails or camp spots? I'm in a stock 16 Titan NON Pro4x so nothing crazy please. I'm also gonna try to use the app and see what I can find. Thanks!

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I would recommend Echo Canyon - this location is kinda central so you can see some of the sights, and while a washboard road, very doable with a stock car.
Once you find a site ( first come/first served) go back to Furnace Creek Visitor center and get your permit for the exact site. Otherwise you will get booted out :(
There are some very nice sites once you get into the Canyon. ( E5 and above )
Have fun!

Reactions: Lil Bear

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I would recommend Echo Canyon - this location is kinda central so you can see some of the sights, and while a washboard road, very doable with a stock car.
Once you find a site ( first come/first served) go back to Furnace Creek Visitor center and get your permit for the exact site. Otherwise you will get booted out :(
There are some very nice sites once you get into the Canyon. ( E5 and above )
Have fun!
Awesome thanks! Good to know about the getting the permit thing cause I didn't! lol

Ocean_Ranger

Rank VI

Expedition Master I

Santa Barbara, CA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Pickton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6SRP (GMRS WROQ518)
I recently enjoyed dispersed camping up Trail Canyon. It is off of the north end of Westside Road. Great views across toward Artist’s Pallet. Easy to do in your rig. Just be sure that you are at least a mile or more up from Westside Rd.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If you take I-95 out of north Vegas, you cross over to Beatty. That puts you on the east middle of Death Valley. Right below you is the ghost town of Ryolitte. From there you can hit most everything pretty quick. A couple of miles below that is Titus canyon. Its a long, one way drive that starts from your end.
When you come out, your on a major road. Right is Eurika Dunes, tea kettle junction, Ubehe Crater. I would camp my first night at the Dunes then back track and drop down to race track.
I would next go back up and head the other way towards Titus. Drop into devils cornfield, mesquite dunes then stove pipe wells. Fuel up and have an ice cream. There's a public campground there also.
Right now your literally in the center of Death Valley with a few exits home. Depending on your time frame you can go back up to Beatty, go up to 190 and go left to Baker or the real long way, go down and across Panamint Valley (more stuff to see).
Heading toward Parump on 190 I think there's only 20 mule team
Heading towards Baker you would turn down bad water road. There's Salt Creek, Artist Drive, Devils Golf Course. Baker is about two hours (ish) from Vegas.
Heading towards Panamint will literally take you all day and eventually putting you on I-395 to I-15 and about 4 hours from Vegas (once you hit I-15).

I normally take several days at a time out there. Everything is pretty much scattered. You need a good map or you will miss things. Almost the whole park is accessable with a stock 2wd truck with the fun stuff accessable with 4wd and good tires.

I could send you my Death Valley route/way point file but its a bit scattered and I don't have easy vs hard routes designated. I normally just wing it and pick a route based on what I want to do. Your welcome to it. just PM me. I also have the Mojave mostly mapped from south of vegas all the way down.

Last edited:

Contributor III

USA
First Name
Victoria
Last Name
Johnson
Howdy everyone! So since the weather is supposed to be nice for it this weekend I was thinking of taking the fam out to Death Valley for a 1 or 2 nighter of some nice ground camping. It will be the wife, 2-year-old and my dog (hes old). Myself also of course. Any suggestions of some family friendly trails or camp spots? I'm in a stock 16 Titan NON Pro4x so nothing crazy please. I'm also gonna try to use the app and see what I can find. Thanks!

Sounds like a great plan! For family-friendly trails and camp spots in Death Valley, consider checking out Mesquite Spring Campground and the Badwater Basin Salt Flats. Don't forget about the pictures. I was looking for this Free Essays on Kindness, Examples, Topics, Outlines - WritingUniverse website online and when I was searching for it online, I found your post as well. I will wait for your reply. They offer accessible trails and scenic views suitable for all. Enjoy your trip!
Don't forget about the pictures :)

Last edited:

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Methinks a lot depends on where you are coming into the Park from. There are 600 miles of roads in the Park. I'm not sure which ones are open after this years storms. Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
The Queen of Sheba mine is off Westside Rd and offers a unique view, I've spent a night there. For a real treat go up Warm Springs Rd and stay in the Geologist Cabin in Striped Butte Valley. Climb the Butte! There are a few adopt a cabins in the desert open to public use, if the flag is not up the cabin is unoccupied, if the flag is flying someone has staked it out. Leave no trace.

Pics are Geologist cabin and Queen of Sheba

DSC00033.JPGDSC00055.JPG

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

this book has lots of trails in the area with a good description for what to expect and ratings on difficulty. i have this one personally and like it, i always take it with me to new areas in case i decide to explore different trails.