First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Hi everyone - Need some advice...

I will be attending a photography workshop in Joshua Tree NP from March 8th to the 12th 2019. Since this is a pretty good haul from Western Iowa, I was thinking about adding on to the trip by also visiting Yosemite and Death Valley, since I'm "in the area."

I know Yosemity well enough to figure out what and where to visit, but am drawing a pretty good 'blank' on Death Valley ('DV').

So, first of all, should I stop in DV BEFORE or AFTER the workshop; does it make a difference? I will hit Yosemite definitely after the workshop, so DV is a possibility either before or after.

As for what to do there, one idea I stole from watching Youtube would be to go via Goler, visiting Barker ranch, then over Mengel Pass (ok to pass with Ruby?) to 'the geologist's cabin' by Striped Butte, for a sunset shoot and an overnight in the RTT, before heading on to photograph Badwater Basin for sunrise and sunset the next day. Between sunrise and sunset, I have free time I can use to get to some other places to photograph. There are the obvious ones (Zabriskie, Dante's View, ...), but I am wondering if there is something less obviousm, something less often photographed there I can reach with Ruby - Would be great if it were close to an overnight opportunity (RTT).

Keep in mind, I have a non-lifted Rubicon, albeit with 33" tires...

Any hints, suggestions, options, cautions welcome!

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

AlOrMi

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Kennesaw, Georgia
Member #

I will be attending a photography workshop in Joshua Tree NP from March 8th to the 12th 2019. Since this is a pretty good haul from Western Iowa, I was thinking about adding on to the trip by also visiting Yosemite and Death Valley, since I'm "in the area."

I know Yosemity well enough to figure out what and where to visit, but am drawing a pretty good 'blank' on Death Valley ('DV').

So, first of all, should I stop in DV BEFORE or AFTER the workshop; does it make a difference? I will hit Yosemite definitely after the workshop, so DV is a possibility either before or after.

As for what to do there, one idea I stole from watching Youtube would be to go via Goler, visiting Barker ranch, then over Mengel Pass (ok to pass with Ruby?) to 'the geologist's cabin' by Striped Butte, for a sunset shoot and an overnight in the RTT, before heading on to photograph Badwater Basin for sunrise and sunset the next day. Between sunrise and sunset, I have free time I can use to get to some other places to photograph. There are the obvious ones (Zabriskie, Dante's View, ...), but I am wondering if there is something less obviousm, something less often photographed there I can reach with Ruby - Would be great if it were close to an overnight opportunity (RTT).

Find your way to the Lippincott Trail to or from Race Track Playa (sliding rocks). You will not regret it. Tea Kettle Junction is a cool stop for a picture.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Slow Poke

Barclay

Local Expert Southern CA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Los Angeles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6BDO

Striped Butte is gorgeous! We didn't see another human for a good day or more, nice and remote, gorgeous sunrises.

My GF and I did Goler/Mengal, W to E (the direction you're talking about) in a Rubi with a 1.5" lift on stock 32"s, in Apr 2017. But, we had to get out and build some bridges, it wasn't a gimme. Came down hard on my sliders a couple times. We exited out the east, so I'm not sure the difficulty E to W. It does look like a trail that can change substantially depending on recent weather.

Closest gas on the W side is Searles IIRC, so make sure you fill up there, because it's about 50 miles to gas if you exit east. Inbound trail was about 11 miles once we finally turned on Goler Wash (several miles of washboard before that) and took about 2h.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Eric Neal

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Find your way to the Lippincott Trail to or from Race Track Playa (sliding rocks). You will not regret it. Tea Kettle Junction is a cool stop for a picture.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app
Thanks. I'll check it out!

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Striped Butte is gorgeous! We didn't see another human for a good day or more, nice and remote, gorgeous sunrises.

My GF and I did Goler/Mengal, W to E (the direction you're talking about) in a Rubi with a 1.5" lift on stock 32"s, in Apr 2017. But, we had to get out and build some bridges, it wasn't a gimme. Came down hard on my sliders a couple times. We exited out the east, so I'm not sure the difficulty E to W. It does look like a trail that can change substantially depending on recent weather.

Closest gas on the W side is Searles IIRC, so make sure you fill up there, because it's about 50 miles to gas if you exit east. Inbound trail was about 11 miles once we finally turned on Goler Wash (several miles of washboard before that) and took about 2h.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, the guy I watched did hit a couple of times over Mengel Pass. Will definitely have to be careful, stop and assess, and possibly build up if I do that one. On the good side, looks like once I'm past Mengel should be easy sailing... Still. Solo, it seems a bit risky in a non-lifted Rubicon with 33" tires...

Barclay

Local Expert Southern CA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Los Angeles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6BDO
Yeah, the guy I watched did hit a couple of times over Mengel Pass. Will definitely have to be careful, stop and assess, and possibly build up if I do that one. On the good side, looks like once I'm past Mengel should be easy sailing... Still. Solo, it seems a bit risky in a non-lifted Rubicon with 33" tires...
There's nothing I hit on the East exit that a stock Rubi couldn't handle. Mostly basic rock gardens.

Reactions: Wotan

Slow Poke

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Torrez
Member #

My wife and I travel guite a bit solo. Have the right gear and supplies and be safe if you decide to try it. DV is great place for photo ops. Have a great, safe trip. Looking forward to checking out your trip photos.

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
My wife and I travel guite a bit solo. Have the right gear and supplies and be safe if you decide to try it. DV is great place for photo ops. Have a great, safe trip. Looking forward to checking out your trip photos.
Thanks./ Yeah. Got my winch, recovery equipment, will have plenty of water and food, as well as tire repair kit(s) etc. Just don't want to wreck Ruby :)

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Might want to also check out the Mojave Road while you are in the area...
I agree with BlackJeep and Barclay, DV and Mojave Road are excellent places to overland and the sites you'll see will fill several SD cards with pics. As for Mengel Pass, I also got stuck twice going over it when I didn't have lifts on the 4Runner. I did make it through though and got lifts as soon as I got home.

Also, Make sure you carry a rock to place on Travelers Monument when you go.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Do you want to photograph scenery or old structures? How much time will you spend in Death Valley?
I'm interested in your response to this as well. The idea of going back to DV in maybe Oct with my father-in-law on a photography trip is already floating around in the back of my mind. lol

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Do you want to photograph scenery or old structures? How much time will you spend in Death Valley?
Both. Thinking about some sunrise and sunset photographs, plus some structures (probably during the day, between sunrise/sunset.) Right now thinking about 2 days, but I am somewhat flexible...

OffWheelin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Torrance, CA
Member #

It sounds like you filled your two days already, but here are some things in the same general area. In Goler there are mining ruins, plus the remains of the Manson hideout. Striped Butte and the valley are beautiful in the morning. There are more mine ruins and cabins in Warm Springs Canyon, where you will pass on the way to Badwater. Your plan to leave Striped Butte to get to Badwater for sunrise is ambitious. The roads are slow, it will probably take 1.5 hrs to get there. You will miss the things in Warm Springs Canyon. Devil's Golf Course looks good in photographs. Just north of the designated parking area, head west on West Side Road for about two miles. You will be in the middle of the area with no people to mar the shots. Dante's is closed for repair right now. Rhyolite has lots of old structures to photograph. Mesquite Flat sand dunes are nice for photographs if you can find a spot without people or footprints. Ibex Dunes to the south, or Eureka Dunes to the north, are better since they are less known. Well preserved mining cabins and equipment can be seen at Inyo Mine in Echo Canyon.

Have fun.

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Thanks. That is a lot of good info! I actually already figured that I'd probably be better off shooting both sunset and sunrise at striped butte, since I plan on overnighting there already, before heading over to Badwater to shoot the sunset there. To fill the time, I am thinking about driving around to shoot some ruins/structures (probably B&W, depending on the light), before Badwater, then finding a good spot nearby to overnight. I can add another sunrise and 'into the afternoon' time to shoot additional stuff, before starting my trek back to W. IA later that afternoon; the trek home will be part of my shooting schedule, and I plan on mainly overnighting as I go.

Again, thanks for the ideas. I think this should definitely get me some great material; as I said. it'd be silly not to use the opportunity of being there already, since it's quite a ways from W. IA...

It sounds like you filled your two days already, but here are some things in the same general area. In Goler there are mining ruins, plus the remains of the Manson hideout. Striped Butte and the valley are beautiful in the morning. There are more mine ruins and cabins in Warm Springs Canyon, where you will pass on the way to Badwater. Your plan to leave Striped Butte to get to Badwater for sunrise is ambitious. The roads are slow, it will probably take 1.5 hrs to get there. You will miss the things in Warm Springs Canyon. Devil's Golf Course looks good in photographs. Just north of the designated parking area, head west on West Side Road for about two miles. You will be in the middle of the area with no people to mar the shots. Dante's is closed for repair right now. Rhyolite has lots of old structures to photograph. Mesquite Flat sand dunes are nice for photographs if you can find a spot without people or footprints. Ibex Dunes to the south, or Eureka Dunes to the north, are better since they are less known. Well preserved mining cabins and equipment can be seen at Inyo Mine in Echo Canyon.

Have fun.