Death Valley - Trip with kids recommendations

• HTML tutorial

BKO

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Hi all,

I am planning a trip to Death Valley with my family (2 kids - ages 4.5 and 2 y/o) in January. We will be coming from Bakersfield and looking to spend a few days doing dispersed camping. I've been searching trying to get an idea of where is a good place to spend the first night in the park.

I was originally planning to get to at least Furnance Creek (as it seems very central), but any reccs on good points of interest to dry camp near there? This will be our first time there so trying to get an idea of first night's stay and map the trip around that. Any reccs are appreciated.

Thanks!

Superduty

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I would start by searching the forum. There is a ton of info about death valley.

What kind of vehicle are you in?

What is your experience level?

Are you traveling solo?

BKO

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

I would start by searching the forum. There is a ton of info about death valley.

What kind of vehicle are you in?

What is your experience level?

Are you traveling solo?

I have searched. Saw many post on points of interest but not too much on places for dispersed camping.

Vechicle is 80 series Land Crusier. Lifted with OME 2.5 and 31’s.

Traveling solo. Comfortable with the outdoors from backpacking but only a couple of trips with the LC since it was purchased last year.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

I don't recall seeing a lot of dispersed camping in DV. We spent a week there but just used the campgrounds. We were there in March and it was empty, the campground at Racetrack had one other truck. Thorndike campground have a few people, but plan on cold temps at that elevation, probably teens in January. And we stayed a few nights in the tent campground at Texas Springs in Furnace Creek.

I don't think you will find dispersed camping around Furnace Creek. You have to be in very remote areas to find dispersed camping. It's not easy to find spots like on Forest Service land.

Todd

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

If you have the Gaia app load the National Parks map layer and look at DV, you can see all the yellow areas you can't disperse camp. You'll see it's in all the areas around the major roads and points of interest.

Superduty

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Last edited: