Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Sloan
Member #

I am going to Death Valley (and Joshua Tree) at the end of Feb. I really liked this route plan on YT, so I recreated the route in a GPX.

I'll be solo on my Feb trip. Most of those roads seem too challenging by myself, so I will be sticking to tamer trails this time.

Def want to hit Titus Canyon, though I think it is closed right now (for weather?). Hopefully it opens up.

GPX viewer

Attachments

Alain M

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Saint-Hyacinthe, QC, Canada
First Name
Alain
Last Name
Messier
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HUA
Titus is a must! The Racetrack is interesting too and don't forget your photo at Kettle Junction. I got almost stuck in the South Pass in March 2020 has it was just a mud & snow fest. Pick your route wisely. :-)

Reactions: Zackb

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Heading to Death Valley for a five day trip. Any good suggestions on trails are good dispersed camping?
We'll be there at the end of March, let me know how it goes.

I'm just watching videos to see what to add to my list, there is a ton on information.

Reactions: Zackb

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I am going to Death Valley (and Joshua Tree) at the end of Feb. I really liked this route plan on YT, so I recreated the route in a GPX.

I'll be solo on my Feb trip. Most of those roads seem too challenging by myself, so I will be sticking to tamer trails this time.

Def want to hit Titus Canyon, though I think it is closed right now (for weather?). Hopefully it opens up.

GPX viewer
Let me know if the Rocks still move.
Have you ever done a trip to Dante's Inferno during the summer?

Reactions: SteveSln and Zackb

Jibs

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Reno
First Name
Jibs
Last Name
Lundemo
Member #

I'll be heading there the Valentine's day weekend. Definitely check out Rhyolite and Titus Canyon it's a beautiful drive. You can do it with 2wd high clearance.
I'll be down there over Valentine's Day weekend as well. I'm planning on doing some backpacking in Lemoigne Canyon, and also checking out some other slot canyons around the valley.

Jibs

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Reno
First Name
Jibs
Last Name
Lundemo
Member #

I passed you
I'll be in Death Valley and the eastern Sierra's that week as well. If you see my 68 bronco on the trail, please be sure to say hi!

Planning on Swansea/Gordo, Mengal Pass to Barker Ranch, Masourka Canyon/Papoose Flats, Reward Mine and Alabama Hills. View attachment 186829
I passed you on 190, just north of Furnace Creek!

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

Hmm... wasn’t me. I was on Swansea/Cerro Gordo Yesterday. Went in on the Swansea side and made it bout 3 miles past the Salt Tram before having to turn around due to a abandoned Toyota Tundra that was stuck in the snow blocking the trail. We hiked for about a half hour looking for the the driver. Couldn’t find him.. We doubled backed down to Swansea and called the CHP to report the abandoned vehicle. Hope the driver is okay! Our guess is that he got a ride back into town...

We’re set on getting up to Cerro Gordo. We’re going to head up there today via the Cerro Gordo side.

Next up is Barker Ranch on Wednesday!

Reactions: rdrjohn and Zackb

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, California, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
Hmm... wasn’t me. I was on Swansea/Cerro Gordo Yesterday. Went in on the Swansea side and made it bout 3 miles past the Salt Tram before having to turn around due to a abandoned Toyota Tundra that was stuck in the snow blocking the trail. We hiked for about a half hour looking for the the driver. Couldn’t find him.. We doubled backed down to Swansea and called the CHP to report the abandoned vehicle. Hope the driver is okay! Our guess is that he got a ride back into town...

We’re set on getting up to Cerro Gordo. We’re going to head up there today via the Cerro Gordo side.

Next up is Barker Ranch on Wednesday!
How deep is the snow up Swansea thru the Salt tram? I was planning on going up that way early April.

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

How deep is the snow up Swansea thru the Salt tram? I was planning on going up that way early April.
As of last week it was passable all the way to the salt tram. Snow drifts were only a few inches deep and maybe a foot at best in the deepest areas IMG_8360.jpg20210215_143809.jpgbut had tire tracks in them from other vehicles busting through. The last snow drift between Swansea and Cerro Gordo was blocked by a abandoned Toyota Tundra... with no way around. We called the local authorities to alert them in case the driver was missing. The next day we talked to Brent (the owner of Cerro Gordo) and he said that he was aware of the vehicle and that the driver was okay.

Neuvik

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Trent
Last Name
W
Member #

Cool photos, love that area, and really wished the fire didn't happen at Cerro Gorodo. Man that place has some amazing history.

Still have mixed feelings about the hotel at Cerro Gordo standing for 100 years and some kid buying the place and letting it burning down within the year... guessing he didn't know what knob and tube is.

Beautiful Bronco! Sure you hear that all the time haha.

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

Cool photos, love that area, and really wished the fire didn't happen at Cerro Gorodo. Man that place has some amazing history.

Still have mixed feelings about the hotel at Cerro Gordo standing for 100 years and some kid buying the place and letting it burning down within the year... guessing he didn't know what knob and tube is.

Beautiful Bronco! Sure you hear that all the time haha.
Thanks for the kudo's on the Bronco! Yes... the fire is a real bummer. The new owner of the Cerro Gordo seams to be doing a good job of restoring the place. We had a chance to spend some time with him last week. He's determined to rebuild the hotel to exact specs as the original.... sans bullet hole and blood stains. IMG_0138 1.JPG

Reactions: TimChap

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, California, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
As of last week it was passable all the way to the salt tram. Snow drifts were only a few inches deep and maybe a foot at best in the deepest areas but had tire tracks in them from other vehicles busting through. The last snow drift between Swansea and Cerro Gordo was blocked by a abandoned Toyota Tundra... with no way around. We called the local authorities to alert them in case the driver was missing. The next day we talked to Brent (the owner of Cerro Gordo) and he said that he was aware of the vehicle and that the driver was okay.
I'm planning to go up Swansea to Cerro Gordo to Father Crowley in a couple of weeks. Was the Tundra stuck in snow or just broken down? I'm sure (by now) it should have been recovered.

TimChap

Rank 0

Contributor I

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Chapman
Service Branch
USAF
Thanks for the kudo's on the Bronco! Yes... the fire is a real bummer. The new owner of the Cerro Gordo seams to be doing a good job of restoring the place. We had a chance to spend some time with him last week. He's determined to rebuild the hotel to exact specs as the original.... sans bullet hole and blood stains. View attachment 188611
Great picture!