First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Hello All,

My group of friends is trying to hit death valley before it gets too hot. Wondering what are peoples must see spots are?
My first time must sees were Racetrack/Grandstand , Teakettle Junction, Ubehebe Crater and of course Lippencott Mine road. These places are a little touristy but still must sees. There’s lots of info available, good luck!!

mdupray

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Laguna Niguel, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dupray
Member #

Entering on the Swansea Pass, past the salt tram and thru the Saline Valley is a pretty amazing start, and it’s a free entry point. On a 1-10, parts of Swansea are about a 7+. Bring some clearance.

Reactions: Magic Mike
My first time must sees were Racetrack/Grandstand , Teakettle Junction, Ubehebe Crater and of course Lippencott Mine road. These places are a little touristy but still must sees. There’s lots of info available, good luck!!
Ya, we had racetrack, teakettle and ubehebe crater on the list already. I'll look into lippencott mine road.

Entering on the Swansea Pass, past the salt tram and thru the Saline Valley is a pretty amazing start, and it’s a free entry point. On a 1-10, parts of Swansea are about a 7+. Bring some clearance.
Okay not sure we will be able to do that one on this trip, one of the cars will be a stock awd crv so I don't think it fair well on that type of trail.

Titus Canyon is definitely a must see for me. Absolutely beautiful..
Ya, that looks amazing and is on the interest list.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Ya, we had racetrack, teakettle and ubehebe crater on the list already. I'll look into lippencott mine road.

Okay not sure we will be able to do that one on this trip, one of the cars will be a stock awd crv so I don't think it fair well on that type of trail.

You won't be sorry, I loved that place.

mdupray

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Laguna Niguel, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dupray
Member #

Lippincott as a descent is manageable. I was there in November and the trail was in good shape. I drive a massively long, 145” wheelbase F150 and it drove right on down the trail without any multi-point turns. It does get tight if you meet uphill traffic but most people are dropping down from the Racetrack and Tea Kettle into the Saline Valley.

Enjoy!

Blue Falcon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I would be wary of taking a stock CRV on most back country routes in DVNP. That's just me though. I'd rather err on the side of safety. All entry points are free. The place to pay your entry fees are either at the Eastern Sierra Interagency Center or ranger stations located at Stovepipe Wells and Furnace Creek.

If it is the first time for your group I would suggest the major tourist points in DV proper such as Artists Drive, Badwater, Dantes View, Zabriske, Furnace Creek, and Stovepipe exiting via Panamint Valley.

Superduty

Rank II

Enthusiast III

CRV? don't take that off pavement in DV unless you are running a true off road tire. 4wd in most areas of DV isn't critical, but in my opinion, a good quality off road tire is a necessity.

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

Don't be affright of taking your CRV, I saw a Prius way up in a canyon where it should not be but be sure to take a full size spare tire. You can at least go to Teakettle junction and race track.
Inyo mine via echo canyon is also fun and easy see: 36.493690, -116.702794

Superduty

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Don't be affright of taking your CRV, I saw a Prius way up in a canyon where it should not be but be sure to take a full size spare tire. You can at least go to Teakettle junction and race track.
Inyo mine via echo canyon is also fun and easy see: 36.493690, -116.702794

Just bc you saw a prius in a place it shouldn't be, doesn't mean the op should also go there with his crv. Regular street and highway tires are not meant to be used on the roads to teakettle junction or racetrack. I think it's bad advice to recommend anyone drive those roads with street tires, even with a full size spare. If you can guarantee only one flat, then going with a full size spare is all good. But no way to guarantee only one flat. The rocks on those roads destroy regular tires.

The times i have driven to the racetrack i have seen numerous cars with flat tires on the side of the dirt road.

Last edited:

Blue Falcon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

The tow fee for services that far out begin at $1000.
Poor advice to suggest it should be done just because a lesser type vehicle was spotted in another area it should not have been either. Bad advice to suggest Lippincott. Take the CRV places that are paved or well graded. Not the backcountry of DVNP.

mdupray

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Laguna Niguel, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dupray
Member #

Side note: If you're going to Death Valley via HWY395 north, a lot of people continue on 395 all the way to Olanca as a turning spot to enter the park. There's a short cut that's actually an interesting drive. At Red Mountain you can turn onto, Trona Rd. and take that to HWY178, (Trona Wildrose Rd.) This "T's" into HWY190. Turn right there and it will take you right into Furnace Creek. Be sure to top off your gas tank there bc there's no gas in the park. There's also a pretty nice store there where you can get some snacks and water, souvenir stuff . . .

Error on the side of caution. DV is an awesome and hazardous place. Enjoy!

Blue Falcon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

There is fuel available at Stovepipe Wells and Furnace Creek. Mind you it is in the park and costs more. Getting gas in Trona helps the local economy which has been on the downturn for years and the earthquakes last year didn't help them either. Gas is also available at Panamint Springs Resort but it is the most expensive in the region.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to talk more with my friend about the potential problems with the CRV. Also just to note I'll be in an offroad tacoma, so I'll be fine, the friend was planning on taking their CRV.