Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, ca
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Brodsky
As an alternative to crossing the high water on the Mojave trail I routed the following trip through Death Valley. Does anyone see any glaring issues with this plan?

1. 12/26 50miles from big pine to eureka dunes (camp)
  2. 12/27 26miles from eureka dunes to crystal pool/saline valley (camp)
  3. 12/28 35miles from crystal pool to racetrack (camp?)
  4. 12/29 85miles from racetrack to furnace creek (camp/gas/ water; 200 miles from last fillup)
  5. 12/30 50miles from Furnace creek to Barkers ranch (camp)
  6. 12/31 100miles from Barkers ranch to Alabama hills (camp/gas; 160miles from last fillup)

Attachments

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Looks like you are planing on staying in Furnace Creek, you might want to go a little further south on Westside road and camp at one of the many mines to the west.

Norcalocal

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, ca
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Brodsky
Looks like you are planing on staying in Furnace Creek, you might want to go a little further south on Westside road and camp at one of the many mines to the west.
Thanks for the advise. Staying in furnace creek for a couple of reasons: mid trip shower, restaurant dinner/breakfast the night arrive/morning leaving, and gas. Will consider moving to west valley for camp.

Norcalocal

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, ca
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Brodsky
Currently it's just my dad and two (young) sons. having another capable vehicle/driver along is always a welcomed safety net.

Blue Falcon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Looks like a good plan. As you leave the Saline Valley warm springs you could encounter a lot of inbound traffic for the new years weekend. I doubt most will be using Lippincott on your way to The Racetrack. There is a no-fee campground near The Racetrack called Homestake. Be prepared for very cold temps up there. Heck it will be cold the entire trip.

Park regulations state camping should be 1 mile away from mine structures. Also not sure about camping at Barker Ranch. I'd suggest something in Butte Valley on the way to Barker Ranch since there are better options.

If you haven't been to DVNP please have good maps and read about the roads to be traveled. Lots to see and do.