Rank VI

World Traveler I

Usk, Kitimat-Stikine Regional District, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

After a long 9 month wait, I take delivery of my new Jeep. I now have to decide on extended warranty and their in house protection packages.

First up, extended warranty, my thought is yes. I plan to keep my rig for a long time. Thoughts?

Next is the protective treatments. They offered:
Rust protection, ( inside the door panels)
Underbody protection
Paint protection

My quick google skills make it seem this is a dealer cash grab. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Reactions: Coreymol

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
It's a dealer cash grab. I always opt out. They try to charge you to put nitrogen in the tires for crap sakes. When I found a mismatched lug nut that wasn't even the right kind for the wheel that was on the van we were looking at I told them their "multi point inspected certified pre owned vehicle" was anything but if they can't even bother to replace a totally inappropriate lug nut. I doubt the tires were ever filled withy anything more than 78 precent nitrogen.

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
After a long 9 month wait, I take delivery of my new Jeep. I now have to decide on extended warranty and their in house protection packages.

First up, extended warranty, my thought is yes. I plan to keep my rig for a long time. Thoughts?

Underbody protection
Paint protection

My quick google skills make it seem this is a dealer cash grab. Does anyone have thoughts on this?
I do the extended warranty but the others are cash grabs for sure.

Reactions: KonzaLander

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Oddly I would think the rust I inhibitor may be worth it while extended warranty often is not. Plus, if you change your mind on the extended warranty you can bet they will be happy to sell it to you 3 years down the road.

I wouldnt go with black rubberized underbody. Some sort of clear coat or lanolin based oil

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
The rust proofing does not work. ( period ). You would do just as well going to the auto parts store, buy a couple of cans and do it yourself. Extended warranties? I’m not a fan, just another cash grab. It already ought to have a 7-70 on the drivetrain or better. If anything major is gonna fail because of shoddy parts or workmanship it’ll fail within the warranty. Extended warranties do not cover normal wear & tear on any items such as brakes, bushings, shocks, etc etc etc. I turn down extended warranties on everything I purchase.

Reactions: Arailt

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Underbody protection
Paint protection

Added rust protection for a jeep is a absolute necessity!
But it needs to be done right. Frame inside and out plus cavities and such things need to be protected as it will rust like nothing else and the factory treatment is a really bad joke.
Extended warranty is most of the time not worth your money.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

The rust proofing does not work. ( period ). You would do just as well going to the auto parts store, buy a couple of cans and do it yourself. Extended warranties? I’m not a fan, just another cash grab. It already ought to have a 7-70 on the drivetrain or better. If anything major is gonna fail because of shoddy parts or workmanship it’ll fail within the warranty. Extended warranties do not cover normal wear & tear on any items such as brakes, bushings, shocks, etc etc etc. I turn down extended warranties on everything I purchase.
Rust proofing doesn't work, but do it yourself? A little contrary, there, sir. And I can attest, living in New England, rust "proofing" (prohibitor) does prolong the life of the frame and body of your vehicle when done properly. When not done properly. It can still help a lot.

Fluid film is pretty effective when applied every couple of years. The rubberized stuff, though, if pierced or torn at any point, can actually trap moisture that seeps into the tear.

However, to your point of doing it yourself, yes. If you can. I know I would have gotten into more nooks, crannies and insides of cross-members that the body shop that last did my truck

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Rust proofing doesn't work, but do it yourself? A little contrary, there, sir. And I can attest, living in New England, rust "proofing" (prohibitor) does prolong the life of the frame and body of your vehicle when done properly. When not done properly. It can still help a lot.

Fluid film is pretty effective when applied every couple of years. The rubberized stuff, though, if pierced or torn at any point, can actually trap moisture that seeps into the tear.

However, to your point of doing it yourself, yes. If you can. I know I would have gotten into more books, crannies and insides of cross-members that the body shop that last did my truck
Agreed 100%. Many people in our big club use fluid film every year. It has drawbacks, but it does work. And - You can do it yourself. Not contradictory at all. Fluid film states “ rust prevention” does it not? The dealers claim “ rust proof “ do they not? One is completely different than the other. The rubberized junk? Your vehicle could rust out from under you, but the rubber would hide it. Zeibart only warranties their treatment for 10 years, , no sense I that either. Sorry to word my post in such a way that it necessitates explanation & clarification.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Yeah I had my truck Fluid Filmed while it was in the shop a year ago. There had been some dirt on top of the lower shock fastener. The sprayed right over it. And, the did not spray down into the inside of the truck bed cylindrical cross member. I would have cleared tha dirt a d sprayed down that pipe. Sometimes you dont even ge what you paid for...

So, I whole heartedly agree, if you can do it, do it how you want. If not, stay on them like a hawk. And you have to repeat application ever year or 2.

Saw a mechanic scrape away some of that black rubber stuff on another vehicle and what had been masked looked worse than my 1994 Chevy Blazer. It was appalling
No apologies necessary at all @MOAK.

Reactions: MOAK

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
In a dealer the profit isn't in the sale but the financing, extended warranty and addons.

I cant count how many repairs I've done, repairing screwed up wiring from the add on security systems where the factory installed one was actually better. Proper ceramic paint coatings can cost you close to $1000 if you did it your self. If the dealer is charging $1000, its probably not good. I've seen people charged $500 for nitrogen not done correctly. Interior protection is $10 in scotch guard barely sprayed on the material. I can go on for hours about this.

The profit margin on aftermarket lifts and accessories is normally 200% or higher. Buy cheap parts, cheap labor and sell high.

Aside from that. The only extended warranty to buy is the factory one. There's a ton of profit in the "aftermarket" extended warranties and not only do they do a poor job of covering you but, some shops wont accept them due to issues getting paid.

Spending almost 3 decades working in dealers taught me a few things. The biggest lesson was "a salesman is not your friend". Once the sale is done, the problem now belongs to the service department. Whatever lies they tell, we had to deal with and there was no consequence back on sales.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

In a dealer the profit isn't in the sale but the financing, extended warranty and addons.

I've seen people charged $500 for nitrogen...
Good post. The statement COULD end right there. Nitrogen is a frigging joke pulled on people who know no better. Unless you are in NASCAR or driving on the surface of the moon, Nitrogen is a gimmick of no value to the consumer.

Reactions: Skeena_renegade

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Truth guys, truth. And my family wonders why I refuse to buy a new car. Can I tell you about the time a salesperson chased me through the showroom screaming at me? Or, the time that a service manager flat out lied to me and I called him out? There was nearly fisticuffs on that one, but I remained calm. I mean really, they had my jeep for a week, for factory warrantied repaint of the hood. A week and a day later, he stood behind his high and mighty counter and without looking, at his computer told me we’re waiting on parts. I looked him square in the eye, why do you stand there and f-#%**^ lie to me? On the other hand, I’ve got a guy at my local Toyota store that will bend over backwards to find unobtanium parts for me. He once located a power steering pump bolt in St Louis. Had it in three days. For less than 3 dollars. The parts guys can be golden, the rest of em can take a long walk off of a short pier. Bottom line, dealerships are not to be trusted, unless you have that very special parts guy that’ll find parts for your 25 year old vehicle. This is a shout out for Mike at Performance Toyota. Best parts guy in the region!