Darthyota's Raptor Build

• HTML tutorial

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

Yea, here's your sliders boss! Darth can you knock me up a set while you're at it? Those should fit an FX4. :tonguewink:

They look awesome! It's good to have a shop and the ability to fabricate.

Reactions: darthyota

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Yea, here's your sliders boss! Darth can you knock me up a set while you're at it? Those should fit an FX4. :tonguewink:

They look awesome! It's good to have a shop and the ability to fabricate.
If I started building these for people they wouldn't be stainless as that would put them close to $2000 for set of sliders between higher material & welding costs

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

I know it, I'm just messin. We don't have many uses for sliders in the flats lands of southern Georgia. I'm just as well suited with some heavy duty skids and watching where I drive. Lol

I am impressed by your fabrication work though. Keep it up, I think I speak for everyone when I say WE LOVE PICTURES!

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Did a quick brake upgrade tonight. Threw in a set of Carbotech pads front and rear. The front pads are their XP20 compound and the rears are XP12's. I can now lock all 4 tires up with ease, where as before with the stock pads it would just blow through them which in some situations was a little scary.

Reactions: Jimmy P

Tom-j

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Palo Alto
Member #

Great looking Raptor! I'm thinking about going with the Garmin marine gps system as well. How hard is it to get road and or trail maps loaded on it?

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Its pretty easy to do. For now I just have the Garmin Topo maps but plan on getting the Alberta and BC Backcountry maps as they are much more detailed, as well as the Garmin City Navigator maps both should just drop in and work with this unit. For trip planning I find the Basecamp program easier to use and your routes will follow roads but I have to transfer everything to the Garmin Helm program to get it to load onto my SD card with out an error that crashes Basecamp.

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

I am thinking of building some sliders too. I would love to see how you are mounting yours. I would like to mount to the frame rather than the body where the step rails are mounted. I imagine you are welding yours, with your obvious abilities.

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I am thinking of building some sliders too. I would love to see how you are mounting yours. I would like to mount to the frame rather than the body where the step rails are mounted. I imagine you are welding yours, with your obvious abilities.
Yes i will be welding them to the frame as opposed to bolting them on. The only vehicles that I'm aware of that have body mounted sliders are some Jeeps. And so you know for the future (not trying to be dick) any step mounted to the body (Jeeps excluded) are side steps, frame mounted made out of round or square structural tubing (at least .125 wall) are sliders.

Reactions: Matt L.

bulldog4xfour

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nice build , I like what you have done so far. Do you add filler rod when you tig weld? If not do you ever worry about it being a strong enough weld especially for something like rock sliders, that could be holding the weight of your truck? The only reason I ask is because when I use filler rod my tig welds look like crap, and was wondering if I could build a bumper with out adding the filler because it would look so much cleaner.

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Yes all those welds have filler wire added. Theres nothing wrong with an autogenous weld as long as your joint geometry has planned for it. The biggest thing with tig and getting it to look nice is practice practice practice, you dont even need to be welding to practice. Theres some good videos on YouTube that show good non welding practice techniques.