Daniel Boone Backwoods Byway

• HTML tutorial

JOSX2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mebane, NC
Member #

Yeah, but in my understanding, if he impedes public traffic in any which way.... he'll be arrested if reported

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wingmann5

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Birmingham, Al
Member #

I’d love to join you guys if there’s room but I’m not sure I can get off work. I’ll keep an eye on this thread for updates. This would be my first major off-road trip as well.

Reactions: Theo

Bill Guerre

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kokomo, IN
Member #

Started an event page on FB if anyone is interested in doing the DBBB April 5-7th. PM your name and I can add you to the event.

PaulK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Spruce Pine, NC
Member #

Will do. I think we all got a lot of pictures and videos of the trip. Ill definately report. once i get some time to edit the videos to the meaningful clips and sort/gather all the images ill post them as well. One thing is for sure though, there are a LOT of trails NOT listed on maps. The ones listed on the maps offer a nice challenge mixed with quite a lot of dirt/paved road driving. Each trail is between 1/2 and 1 hour long. Some outliers are longer, some shorter, but the majority fall in the range mentioned. Very nice trip all in all. Callies (the campsite we used) does make a great home base and we left our gear there to optimize time seems like a good safe campground.

Reactions: Bill Guerre

PaulK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Spruce Pine, NC
Member #

I got my first video up. This is one of the "non-trails". We found it by accident from a wrong turn and after we had progressed down it a little, the roadway got progressively narrower and offered no-where to turn around. So progressing onward and onward we finally found a viable u turn. Unfortunately it was already well into a trail i would never have brought my tall and wide tundra. This video shows the return part after the U turn.

Reactions: Bill Guerre

Bill Guerre

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kokomo, IN
Member #

Vehicles Utilized:
Myself- 1990 Jeep Comanche with 3.5 inch lift and 33s, locker in front dana 30 and ford 8.8 with limited slip in rear
Paul-2012 Toyota Tundra with 35s and 3 inch lift (maybe a little taller)
Brother- stock 2016 jeep wrangler sport with 33s, no lift or lockers

Pros:
DBBB offers a variety of different terrain. The eastern portion of the train seemed to be more general trails that provided many small river crossings. Most of the dirt is made up of a combination of a sand red clay mix. never really had much of an issue as far as getting stuck or traction issues. The western portion of the DBBB has some of the same general sandy red clay trails with river crossing, however the western portion also provides more rocks to crawl and elevation changes. Overall, DBBB provides lots of scenic trails and variety of obstacles and can be completed comfortably in about 2.5 days.
We set up basecamp at Callies Campsite. Callies is a clean well maintained campsite that has some of the best bathrooms and showers I have used at a campsite. Using Callies as a 3 day basecamp was a decision that we made after the first day on the trails. I will explain in the Cons portion why. Overall I enjoyed my time on the DBBB and would definitely visit this area again. Also, had a great time with Paul (member 10831) who I had met through this forum.

Cons:
One of the biggest negative aspects for me was the map for the DBBB. I utilized the Avenza Maps App downloaded the CartoTracks DBBB map. This map is accurate however could definitely could be more detailed. On the map, the DBBB is depicted in a solid black line. However, there are large portions of the DBBB that are regular roads or gravel roads. This made it hard to figure out how long you will be on a trail vs a road. This I why we decided to use a basecamp to go back to rather than stay on the trail. If the map would simple change a solid black line to either a different color or some sort of dashed line to differentiate paved roads and dirt trails, it would go a long way in helping with planning your trip on the DBBB. Also, There many times that we would come to a section of the trail that would open up to 2-4 different trail heads, however the map would only show one trail or road. Therefore, often times you had to kind take and educated guess as to which trail the map is referring to. This often time led to getting a couple hundred meters down a trail before noticing that you chose the wrong trail. Causing use to stop and backtrack back to the correct trail.

Overall my experience was very good and had an enjoyable time. Met a very cool fellow overland bound member. I would not hesitate to overland the DBBB again.

Reactions: PaulK