Damon's Rubicon JLU build

• HTML tutorial

dbungard

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

TN
Member #

Here's the evolution of my JLU Rubicon. I had a JKU Rubicon that had served me very well for 10 years on numerous great adventures, and while it was hard to see it go, it was time to either put a lot of money into it, or upgrade. I opted to trade it in, and staring a new chapter with the new JLU Rubicon. Kudos to Jeep - they did a great job listening to their customers and most of the weaknesses or 'problems' with the JK have been addressed by the JL -- 33's stock on Rubicons instead of 32s. Steel factory bumpers. More cargo room. Got rid of the exposed exhaust and evap canister underneath, Mopar roof rack now available -- there's more, but if you thought JK Rubi's were incredibly capable off the lot, the JL Rubis are even better for sure. Here's some pics from the day driven home.

Attachments

dbungard

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

TN
Member #

IMG_1140.jpg IMG_1142.jpg IMG_1150.jpg IMG_1144.jpg IMG_1147.jpg IMG_1152.jpg One weakness that remains on the JLU are the exposed door hinges -- especially if you live on gravel roads. The high fenders now on Rubicons makes throwing rocks on them even worse. So while new I Plasti-Dipped them, hood hinges, and made a bug guard on front edge of the hoodIMG_1140.jpgIMG_1140.jpgIMG_1142.jpg

Reactions: SubeeBen

dbungard

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

TN
Member #

First trail ride on a local public Wildlife Management Area. Added the Yakima LoadWarrior cargo rack to the Mopar roof rack. IMG_1404.jpgIMG_1405.jpgIMG_1406.jpgIMG_1407.jpgIMG_1408.jpg

dbungard

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

TN
Member #

The high fender flares on the JLU Rubi's really throw on the sides of the vehicle -- onto door hinges and handles, and the wife doesn't really care for the latter. I was planning to add the optional Mopar Premium Rock Rails anyways, so I went ahead and did that. They are bedlined from Mopar, add about 4" step to help with entry and exit, will protect the sides better, and are an easy swap for the OEM rock rails. They blend in nicely with the Rubicons wheel flare width.Mopar_premium_rails_side.jpg rails2.jpg rail_step.jpg

dbungard

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

TN
Member #

Last step for now was adding my custom tailgate table. I had this in my JKU and removed it before trade in. It's made of Starboard marine board (basically HDPE sheet), stainless piano hinge and hardware, and some paracord. No drilling except through the plastic cover piece. I put extra loops into the paracord to help with securing it folded, and let me hang utensils or garbage bags in camp. There's a couple magnets recessed it also that I use to keep knife blades from sliding around or off. Pretty clean install overall. Table_closed.jpgTable_closed 2.jpgTable_open.jpgTable_open2.jpg

Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
That's a good looking jl. Nice table. I got the teraflex one and yeah drilling holes sucks. After looking at this I may have to send my jku rubi down the river. Wait.... nah not yet lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

dbungard

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

TN
Member #

Added some more Yakima accessories. Extended the roof rack with the LoadWarrior extension, added shovel and hi-lift mounting brackets, and the Slim Shady awning. Everything is coming together nicely. IMG_1531.jpgIMG_1532.jpgIMG_1533.jpg

Reactions: dj_mccomas
S

SubeeBen

Last step for now was adding my custom tailgate table. I had this in my JKU and removed it before trade in. It's made of Starboard marine board (basically HDPE sheet), stainless piano hinge and hardware, and some paracord. No drilling except through the plastic cover piece. I put extra loops into the paracord to help with securing it folded, and let me hang utensils or garbage bags in camp. There's a couple magnets recessed it also that I use to keep knife blades from sliding around or off. Pretty clean install overall. View attachment 50928View attachment 50929View attachment 50930View attachment 50931
Dumb question but what is hdpe sheet & where do you get it. Love the diy table awesome job

dbungard

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

TN
Member #

HDPE = hi density polyethylene. Just Google 'Starboard Marine sheet'. I got that sheet from West Marine.

Dumb question but what is hdpe sheet & where do you get it. Love the diy table awesome job

dbungard

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

TN
Member #

Here's an install video on the Yakima accessories like their LoadWarrior extension, shovel and Hi-Lift brackets, and Slim Shady awning systems on the Mopar JL roof rack

dbungard

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

TN
Member #

Installed WARN Zeon10s on factory steel bumper using WARN JL Winch Plate

dbungard

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

TN
Member #

Got some trail time at the TN Mountains Jeep Jamboree. Everything performed as it should, back in the garage now with just some skid plate marks and rock rash on the wheels.

Attachments