Enthusiast I

Rosedale Avenue, Dallas, Texas 75205, United States
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Balding
Member #

Hey OB community,

I'm fairly new to all this and will be planning a trip from Dallas to Gunnison with my girls this summer. I'm looking for any advice, knowledge, suggestions for trails, remote camp sites, etc... Also, will be taking the wifes GX 460 with standard road tires on this trip instead of my LR Disco2 because safety first with the kiddos (kick in the ____)!
The itinerary so far goes like this: Day 1 Dallas to Santa Fe, camp at Blackrock Canyon; Day 2 Santa Fe to Gunnison... planning to go through Pagosa Springs and Lake City, found a good looking trail Los Pinos - Cebolla Pass to run and camp... any thoughts? Days 3, 4 Staying at a campground near Almont, looking for ideas here... Days 5, 6, 7 Staying at a campground near Crawford, looking for ideas here... Day 8 high tail it back to Dallas.

If you have any ideas, suggestions, thoughts or comments send em' on!

Tim

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hey OB community,

I'm fairly new to all this and will be planning a trip from Dallas to Gunnison with my girls this summer. I'm looking for any advice, knowledge, suggestions for trails, remote camp sites, etc... Also, will be taking the wifes GX 460 with standard road tires on this trip instead of my LR Disco2 because safety first with the kiddos (kick in the ____)!
The itinerary so far goes like this: Day 1 Dallas to Santa Fe, camp at Blackrock Canyon; Day 2 Santa Fe to Gunnison... planning to go through Pagosa Springs and Lake City, found a good looking trail Los Pinos - Cebolla Pass to run and camp... any thoughts? Days 3, 4 Staying at a campground near Almont, looking for ideas here... Days 5, 6, 7 Staying at a campground near Crawford, looking for ideas here... Day 8 high tail it back to Dallas.

If you have any ideas, suggestions, thoughts or comments send em' on!

Tim
Are you aware that at Lake City you'll be passing by some of the most amazing trails CO has to offer:. Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass, Stony Pass, etc?

Reactions: DMS1

DiscoWanderer

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Rosedale Avenue, Dallas, Texas 75205, United States
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Balding
Member #

Are you aware that at Lake City you'll be passing by some of the most amazing trails CO has to offer:. Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass, Stony Pass, etc?[/QUOTE]

Neil, those all sound good... but of course I have no experience with any of them, hence my search for those who know! Are these trails on the OB forums?

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Try these:

If it requires you to setup a login, it's worth it. You can also google "Alpine Loop".

Also, have a look at Crystal City:

Reactions: 2 is 1 OVERLAND