• HTML tutorial

d-tail_wagon's 2016 Power Wagon

d-tail_wagon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Well after selling my old Silverado and purchasing my new to me Power Wagon I have been working towards getting it set up for my adventuring and hunting trips.

IMG_2166.JPG

I have had a 2nd gen 4Runner and an FZJ80 previously that I was going to build up but it will be nice to have a vehicle base that does not need all kinds of work to develop a reliable rig (4runner had the 3.0 which I had replaced once and the 80 had all kinds of weird issues as it was abused in its previous lives but it is now in the hands of a friends dad and getting the love it deserves) to build upon. Also a plus is the Power Wagon has the OEM lockers (which my 80 did not unfortunately) and winch already!

Too start the truck got my old Cobra 18 CB and antenna

CB.jpg

Than I started with adding some wiring for an auxiliary fuse/relay box that will power LED lights on the front and back as well as the CB and the addition of OBA soon.

IMG_2192.JPG

IMG_2194.JPG

This project is still underway as I am waiting on a few more pieces to come in to complete it. I am trying to keep it as factory and clean as possible.

Took it on its first real trip out to Parker, Az to watch some offroad racing and than took some trails out to the Desert Bar. Following a couple friends in a FJ40 we went through a small wash trail that went parallel and below the normal dirt road out there. over heard some people saying their was a truck stuck in the wash :tearsofjoy:.

The trail ended up being extremely narrow but the lockers made it easy, other than the 27 point turn I had to make at the beginning of the obstacle to get lined up.

IMG_2198.jpg
I did manage to smash the front bumper and the passenger rocker into some of the big rocks on the trail. We didn't get as many good pictures as I thought unfortunately.

After smashing the bumper up a bit I figured it was as good a time as any to take a grinder and cut off wheel to the truck.

Bumper Cut.jpg

Bumper Clearance 2.jpg

Bumper Clearance 3.jpg

Had to trim the fog light mounts as well

Fog Light Clearance.jpg

Was planning on putting a Bestop Soft top on the back with a bed platform/drawer system however it showed up today with a large deal of missing pieces. So now I am back to debating between that method or building a rack and putting an RTT above the bed.

Does anyone have experience with the Smittybilt Overlander tents? I have been around several of their awnings and those seem to be pretty nice for the money saved compared to the other companies but I am not sure the money saved on the tent vs. say Tepui or CVT would be worth it?

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

It's nice to see another PW build!!! Do you plan to lift or level and add bigger tires at some point? It kind of looks like it might already have both done!?I need to add our newly acquired 2018 to my existing build thread for my F-250.

I can't be of any help in regards to the Smittybuilt RTT, but I can confidently recommend CVT, Tepui, and James Baroud from first hand experience.

d-tail_wagon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

It's nice to see another PW build!!! Do you plan to lift or level and add bigger tires at some point? It kind of looks like it might already have both done!?I need to add our newly acquired 2018 to my existing build thread for my F-250.

I can't be of any help in regards to the Smittybuilt RTT, but I can confidently recommend CVT, Tepui, and James Baroud from first hand experience.
Thanks! The truck has a +1 tire. They are Toyo ATs in a 275/75r17 so about a 34. Wishing I had gotten them in 35s however. I will probably get a second set of rims with 37s for off-road use.

For now this is my only vehicle and I drive quite a bit so I would hate to wear out a set of 37s just driving to work.

I am possibly picking up an 84 4runner this weekend that will end up being built up as my trail rig and will primarily be towed around with the power wagon. That will let me keep the wagon less beat up from the trails. It will be nice to tow the toy to the trails and sleep in the rtt.

Last edited:

d-tail_wagon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Over this last weekend I took the truck up to the mountains and went skiing. A friend up there was out shed hunting in his f250 and set the front axle on a rock that was hidden. I got a call from them right as I was getting back from skiing.

Went out to pull him out with my truck, they were only about 10 miles down the road at one of the tanks we hunt often. Well the road there wasn’t bad until I got about 100 yards from his truck and than i sank in about 3 feet of snow and lost all momentum. All 4 wheels spinning even with axles locked.

09C7E7B8-A079-4504-BEAF-F381D967F47D.jpeg

Luckily there was a tree just barely in reach of the winch and I pulled myself out and proceeded to winch my friends truck out.

29507B71-7697-4E78-BDE7-426A3BAF5505.jpeg

35FE0B45-08D2-4A9B-911D-314F0C9957AB.jpeg

Than it was a beautiful evening drive back to the house

9D5F7D38-3583-45F7-A512-F5E4F3DE918D.jpeg

JR402

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Over this last weekend I took the truck up to the mountains and went skiing. A friend up there was out shed hunting in his f250 and set the front axle on a rock that was hidden. I got a call from them right as I was getting back from skiing.

Went out to pull him out with my truck, they were only about 10 miles down the road at one of the tanks we hunt often. Well the road there wasn’t bad until I got about 100 yards from his truck and than i sank in about 3 feet of snow and lost all momentum. All 4 wheels spinning even with axles locked.

View attachment 49281

Luckily there was a tree just barely in reach of the winch and I pulled myself out and proceeded to winch my friends truck out.

View attachment 49282

View attachment 49283

Than it was a beautiful evening drive back to the house

View attachment 49280
Great looking Wagon!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

d-tail_wagon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Got my badge on the truck

2CAE1C9F-F0AC-4D30-989A-68D6D8472CA1.jpeg

Another picture from last weekend driving around the red dirt in Sedona
E79131FD-CF90-42DB-9D45-D4B5EB22116E.jpeg

d-tail_wagon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Found a great deal on a Smittybilt RTT on craigslist and picked it up after work. I have a design in my head for the bed rack and hopefully get to building soon.

RTT.jpg

d-tail_wagon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Finally got around to building a bed rack and mounting my tent up higher. Still need to weld on some awning mounts to the pass. side.

CD5B792D-B3AB-4A3C-8644-AFD44A2F8EBE.jpeg

Ladder barely reaches the ground

1B40C72B-CD1E-4C26-842E-EBC7EEF3077C.jpeg

Also welded up some jerry can mounts that will get mounted to the rack.

C57B946C-2C19-446E-8ED4-A20C4A81DB76.jpeg