CVT RTT Waterproofing Problems

• HTML tutorial

Jeff Greene

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Biddeford, Maine
Member #

I was just curious if anyone has had recent problems with a new CVT not being waterproofed? I have had CVT send me two extended stargazer Pioneer RTTs over the past 2 months and both of them allowed water to soak through the edges and get the edges of the mattress sheet wet all the way around the base.

I'm so frustrated I'm at the point of wanting a full refund and change to Tepui or something else. Thanks!

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

All I can do is speak for myself...my RTT, Smittybilt in the instructions suggest rain fly the tent needs to be "seasoned". Seasoning process is remove the mattress from the tent. Then remove the rain fly. Take a hose & water down the tent & rain fly. Let dry for 24 hrs & follow with another application of water & another 24 hrs dry time. What this does is pulls the fibers in the fabric together tighter as well as the stitching.

On Facebook overlander groups I see many complaints on this subject. Personally I never had any issues because I followed the instructions before I mounted my tent on the trailer tent rack. But I see many who openly said they never read the instructions "thinking it's straight forward install" they stated.

Another issue with RTT owning is condensation. Personally IMO anti condensation matt does work for the floor & mattress. Our sheets & mattress is moisture free. Walls & ceiling are other issues, the only solutions "I" found that works for Sally & I are opening the skylights up 1\4 open, & unzip the windows about 3". We found by doing this we have hardly any moisture clinging to our ceiling or walls of our RTT. I called Smittybilt about putting on a waterproofing solution on the tent. They did not recommend that & would not warrant the tent if problems happen. I'm saying again just for me & Smittybilt RTT's is that if following the instructions of seasoning the tent before use, the moisture problems wouldn't happen. I can honesty say Smittybilt was right on the seasoning of the tent. I've camp'd were sudden heavy down pours came w\o water wicking in anywhere in our RTT.

Jeff Greene

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Biddeford, Maine
Member #

I followed these directions to a T on the second tent and had the same problem. Seasoning it did no good. That’s when it leaked. I waited 24 hours and tried again and leaked again.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I followed these directions to a T on the second tent and had the same problem. Seasoning it did no good. That’s when it leaked. I waited 24 hours and tried again and leaked again.
Jeff, have you been able to pinpoint where the leak exactly is? Is it coming from the stitched seams? Is it possible that the seam tape isn’t covering all of the stitch holes?

I only ask because it’s definitely not the norm with CVT products, or any of the major RTT companies. I wonder if it’s possible they had a bad run on their canopies.

Reactions: Jeff Greene

Jeff Greene

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Biddeford, Maine
Member #

Jeff, have you been able to pinpoint where the leak exactly is? Is it coming from the stitched seams? Is it possible that the seam tape isn’t covering all of the stitch holes?

I only ask because it’s definitely not the norm with CVT products, or any of the major RTT companies. I wonder if it’s possible they had a bad run on their canopies.
I just don’t think it’s waterproofed. When I took fly off to wet and “season” it.... the water poured right through the Stargazer roofing all over into the tent...

Reactions: sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I just don’t think it’s waterproofed. When I took fly off to wet and “season” it.... the water poured right through the Stargazer roofing all over into the tent...
Wow....that’s interesting. I’ve always used my rainfly with my Tepui so no experience without it. I did get caught in a 2 day 6” storm, and had a SMALL bit of leakage through a taped seam-but this was literally a 6” storm, lots of rain. Tepui actually sent me an entirely new canopy, which was easy since they just unzip.

What is CVT saying about this? No other users recently with a similar problem?

Reactions: Jeff Greene

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I had no such problems with either of my olde rCVT's, though neither had the stargazer option. That said, I have found that CVT's customer service is outstanding and I'm pretty confident they will do whatever it takes to get you squared away. Well, at least it was when I was dealing with the owner (Bobby) directly.