Cutting a big honkin hole in the roof of my rig??

• HTML tutorial

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I really, really want to install a MaxxFan Deluxe in the roof of my 4Runner. With my upper window shades that allow me to leave the windows cracked in the rain, and the rain-proof fan, I could maintain constant airflow through the vehicle in any condition, with minimal security risk. I already have a 2nd isolated battery that would power it.

Pros:
1) When sleeping in the rig (on my sleeping platform) on hotter evenings, I could go as extreme as blowing the fan inward, directly onto us (the fan would be roughly in line with the rear headrests, or at our waists when sleeping in the rig), and keep the windows cracked to allow outflow. This greatly extends our overlanding options into the summer months.

2) During hot summer days, as mentioned above, I can keep the windows cracked while I am away (as I already do), but also allow the fan to run at a low setting. Between this and the winshield shade, the inside temp shouldnt exceed ambient for the most part, which will make returning that much better, and my coming fridge from having to work as hard. Even now, on a breezy day, getting into the rig provides immediate relief from the harsh sun without that "baking in an oven while you wait for the AC" feeling. Of course, the fan would allow me to replicate these conditions all the time. I would likely spring for the remote-controlled version, potentially allowing me to "purge" the vehicle before I wnter on particularly hot days.

Cons:
1) I'd have to cut a big ol hole in the roof. I am indeed planning on keeping this rig forever, or at least well past any point where the value would be significantly affected by this hole (anyone buying it would just be looking for an old reliable 'wheelin' rig). But still, it's not something I can undo if I end up not liking it.

2) It might look a little goofy, especially when open (it is like 9.5" tall when open, and a hair over 5" closed). I plan to mitigate some of this by paint-matching it to my rig, but overall I say form follows function. One real caution will be making sure it is closed before entering any garages or parking structures. My rig isnt terribly tall, and when closed the fan cap will only sit 1-1.5" above the factory roof rack, but it might be a factor with the fan open.

Thoughts?

hqdefault.jpg

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I have read a good bit about possible wind noise. Some folks have come up with creative solutions, like fitted pillows in the internal opening when not in use, or otherwise covering it with something (I am pondering about a hinged piece of thin wood or plastic that is secured by magnets).

My rig is not exactly quiet (3rd gen 4Runner on MTs). But, some have described the noise as being as bad as having a window cracked, which would be annoying if that opening is 6" above the heads of any rear passengers.

Hrmm. Still trying to come up with various other options to provide the same benefits, but am coming up blank...

Last edited:

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Pass.

I sleep in my GX when camping and use window screens and two smal battery powered fans to keep the inside cool at night. Granted, I'm not in Florida.

I wouldn't cut a hole in my roof, regardless of the reason. Toyotas have enough rust problems as it is. Haha.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Pass.

I sleep in my GX when camping and use window screens and two smal battery powered fans to keep the inside cool at night. Granted, I'm not in Florida.

I wouldn't cut a hole in my roof, regardless of the reason. Toyotas have enough rust problems as it is. Haha.
Yeah, I have seen examples of screens and fans that folks mount in the windows, but like you implied, they don't offer many of the desired advantages. I am really hoping for the ability to maintain a secure and rain-proof vehicle without sacrificing airflow (even with the windows completely closed, it would simply pull air through the cabin vents).

Unfortunately, I can't think of many other options which can meet those objectives that don't also involve cutting a hole somewhere, heh. I have also considered a smaller fan mounted in the cargo door itself, with a louvered cover on the outside for rain resistance. But, that would require a lot more physical and electronic creativity. And, of course it introduces minor additional occasional challenges like packing without blocking or damaging the fan. However, it would likely add a lot less wind and road noise, which would be good.

But yes, sealing it up tight would be a high priority! :P

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Looks interesting, went to their site to get more info.
From my experience, being in the car business for almost 4 decades and one of my specialties being body electrical. I have had the interior apart on more car's than I care to count. I also had to deal with wind noise and water leaks.
Here's my pro/con list.

pro: Added airflow in vehicle while you sleep.

Con: Your obviously pulling the headliner which means partial interior removal. Placement is going to be based on where the roof braces are and may not be centered. Beg, Borrow or Buy a nice sheet metal nibbler. Big potential for leaking after a few years. Being it's plastic the least you will have is a good wind rush sound over it and as high as it sits, will most likely howl on the highway (I had to attend several aerodynamic classes to deal with factory wind noise) . Roof rack is most likely out of the question or going to be limited and I would probably hit it with a low tree branch.

I am in no way bashing your idea. I have seen over the years people add sunroofs. When the car wasn't designed for it, it usually had some issue I couldn't deal with short of welding the hole shut. One of the issues I saw was the brand or style no longer being supported after a few years. Poor installation from a "professional" installer was probably the biggest issue.
personally I would grab a few of the battery powered fans that go into your window opening and use those. If you do install it make sure you use the correct sealant. I used mostly urethane based when I dealt with resealing the sunroofs to metal. I don't have any brand names or types, they were supplied to me.

Scott

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Thanks for the insight! Indeed, another thing I hadnt thought of is tree branch damage. I even just repainted my 4runner (in a color and finish that is easy to touch up) specifically to fix a bunch of pin striping! So yeah, that would be another challenge with a rooftop vent.