Custom Jeep trailer

• HTML tutorial

jamdeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ogden, Ut
Figured I’d start a trailer thread instead of cramming it all on my Jeep thread.

Bought this little toad a while ago-
IMG_9343.JPG
It’s completely custom made. From tongue to back door. I don’t know the original builder, but I’m the 3rd owner and the 2nd owner never used it. (Sold his rig for a full size)

First order of business was flipping the axle to give it a few inches:
IMG_9345.JPG
It definitely helped- about 3.5”
IMG_9350.JPG

Taillights:
IMG_9351.JPG
They’re quite temporary considering I’m planning on new fenders.

Next thing I wanted was some solid jacks since it is such a small trailer. Some old military jacks:
IMG_9360.JPG
Cut the handles off and welded lug nuts for quick deploy of the jacks with a dewalt drill-

IMG_9362.JPG

IMG_9510.JPG

Next was the lid. It was just sitting on top with 2 twist latches to hold it on. Kinda just flopped around.
Welded up a frame and fit it in-
IMG_9527.JPG
Added some hatch shocks and hinges, solid liftable lid:
IMG_9530.JPG

Reactions: Prerunner1982

jamdeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ogden, Ut
From day 1 I knew I wanted to put full size tires on. I also figured i might as well not mess around and get matching wheels and tires as the Jeep.

To do so, I needed to get a new axle- the original axle was a 3500lb 5on5 weird one off axle that I couldn’t find hubs for. It was also too short to throw any type of full size wheel on it.

Anyways, I got the wheels yesterday and had my old feathered tires I had saved for my OTHER jeep mounted to the matching wheels:
IMG_9660.JPG

So— with this, I’m waiting for the custom 58” axle to mount these up. This probably won’t be ride height. I think it’s too high, so I may mount the new axle back over the leafs to lower it a bit. Depends on how the height is compared to the jeep.

We wait. [emoji1360]
IMG_9641.JPG
(Last weekend) also need to figure out how to keep the leaf shackles from sticking up when the trailer is weighed down.

Shocks? Maybe a little bit of science. We’ll see.

jamdeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ogden, Ut
Made progress tonight. My axle finally came in yesterday after about a month and a half.

IMG_9893.jpg

After install- I can’t quite decide if I should have left it under the axle or not. I first anticipated it to be way high, now I think it’s too low. Best thing will be to line it up with the Jeep and see how it levels up to it.

IMG_9905.jpg

I have about 2.5” in between tire and frame. Seems pretty good. Definitely looks goofy without fenders- they’re next. I hope.

IMG_9904.jpg

Also received my lift latches. Should do better than the little gate latch that’s there now ha ha

IMG_9906.JPG

See you in a few...

Last edited:
Reactions: JDGreens

jamdeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ogden, Ut
Hey y’all. Figured I’d post up some pictures of the maiden voyage. I still haven’t done fenders or the latches. I really just wanted to roll it out and see how it pulls.

Everything worked out awesome. It’s cool to have this to keep everything dry and clean. Enjoy.

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

GPTempDownload.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

My only complaints as of now:

Gas mileage. Getting about 9....

Also broke one of the leaf shackles. You can see in the last photo ha ha. We’ll get that welded up.

See you soon.

jamdeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ogden, Ut
Have you thought about moving the roof toop tent onto your trailer?
Yes and no.

Yes- so I can drive around with camp set up elsewhere.

No- because I actually want to get a 2nd tent for the trailer so my kids can have their own sleeping area.

I’m more inclined to just get a second one, that way if it’s just me, I can take the trailer and be able to drive around. If the whole family goes, we can just post up and park the Jeep and trailer.

Still on the fence about it. Want to get the trailer tuned in and fenders made up first- as well as build the tent rack.. So I’ve got a while to decide.

sri kamas

Rank 0

Traveler I

Chicago,IL
Member #

Yes and no.

Yes- so I can drive around with camp set up elsewhere.

No- because I actually want to get a 2nd tent for the trailer so my kids can have their own sleeping area.

I’m more inclined to just get a second one, that way if it’s just me, I can take the trailer and be able to drive around. If the whole family goes, we can just post up and park the Jeep and trailer.

Still on the fence about it. Want to get the trailer tuned in and fenders made up first- as well as build the tent rack.. So I’ve got a while to decide.
Aah , i see. I am in the process of building a M416 trailer and the works. Thinking of getting a 4 people RTT from smittybilt. Stands at 74 inches from ground and not sure how stable it will be on and off road. Good thing is it stands perfectly aligned with my jeep so no issues with visibilty but bad thing is its center of gravity is a bit high and i am concerned. What do you think? I am looking for suggestions and ideas on improvisations to it.

Attachments

jamdeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ogden, Ut
Aah , i see. I am in the process of building a M416 trailer and the works. Thinking of getting a 4 people RTT from smittybilt. Stands at 74 inches from ground and not sure how stable it will be on and off road. Good thing is it stands perfectly aligned with my jeep so no issues with visibilty but bad thing is its center of gravity is a bit high and i am concerned. What do you think? I am looking for suggestions and ideas on improvisations to it.
I am concerned about being top heavy on my little one.

I don’t think you will have any issues. Those trailers are heavy enough. Just sleep on the trailer end of the tent [emoji23]. Worst case you can get some trailer jacks for the food out side of the tent. I personally think you’ll be okay tho.

sri kamas

Rank 0

Traveler I

Chicago,IL
Member #

I am concerned about being top heavy on my little one.

I don’t think you will have any issues. Those trailers are heavy enough. Just sleep on the trailer end of the tent [emoji23]. Worst case you can get some trailer jacks for the food out side of the tent. I personally think you’ll be okay tho.
Thanks, appreciate it. I am getting telescoping trailer jacks that kinda stretch outwards parallel to the tire on the back both sides of the trailer so there is no tipping over and such. Can't wait to finish the trailer and hit some trails.I could get some towards the front to evenly have 4 jacks for stability even if its an overkill just for stability sake.

jamdeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ogden, Ut
Thanks, appreciate it. I am getting telescoping trailer jacks that kinda stretch outwards parallel to the tire on the back both sides of the trailer so there is no tipping over and such. Can't wait to finish the trailer and hit some trails.I could get some towards the front to evenly have 4 jacks for stability even if its an overkill just for stability sake.
Sounds like a good plan. Can’t be too stable with 4 people crammed in a tent. [emoji1360]