Cushman Overlander?

• HTML tutorial

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I'm just waiting to see you end up on some season of Pawn Stars or Antiques Roadshow where you find out it's worth like 20K
Ya know...it is possible. I found a trailer that is incredibly similar to this one - fender style, basic size, those top flares with the square holes and so on. The trailers are very rare and sell for around $2K. It was a short lived trailer. Who knows, the company that made it, as well as Cushman, were asked to come up with a design and Cushman's just didn't pan out.

If you Google "Sterling Willys Utility Trailer" you'll see the similarities.

It wouldn't be the first time the government asked companies to develop a batch of prototypes for testing.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

I wasn't able to get to my old Jerry can. They are right at 6.5" wide by 13.5" long though.

Keep in mind, the wooden platform is something that was probably added later. The tire mount at the front was probably added later as well, at least the top part looks like it was added. If the mount is original to the trailer it could be the external support with the tire on the inside of the tub. On vintage military trailers if something were placed on the tongue it was usually a storage box for stowage.

Last edited:

Doc Rey

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca.
Member #

Riiiight???
New question...why are VW wheels on this thing ( I owned an '81 VW Caddy back in the day. These are the exact same wheels)? Because they fit & the originals were missing?
So there goes my Pawn Stars $$$!

I'll check out the Sterling Willys. Thx.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Riiiight???
New question...why are VW wheels on this thing ( I owned an '81 VW Caddy back in the day. These are the exact same wheels)? Because they fit & the originals were missing?
So there goes my Pawn Stars $$$!

I'll check out the Sterling Willys. Thx.
They probably used what was easiest and cheapest. Military hubs and tires tend to be pricey.

Doc Rey

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca.
Member #

The Sterling Willys is indeed very similar. One difference noted is how the Cushman (?) fenders are away from the body. There appears to be body -filler where the one metal strap at the top meets the body.
Ya know...if it's a mongrel, I'm o.k. with that.

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Something else... you said you found no data plate. Did you find a spot anywhere that had four holes indicating a data plate had been attached?

The military is a stickler for data plates on things such as trailers. Many of the companies that made trailers for the military made civilian versions as well and they would attach data plates indicating it's for civilian use.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

The Sterling Willys is indeed very similar. One difference noted is how the Cushman (?) fenders are away from the body. There appears to be body -filler where the one metal strap at the top meets the body.
Ya know...if it's a mongrel, I'm o.k. with that.
True about the wells. I ran across a couple pics of them though that were pushed out.

Just to toss another monkey wrench into it... most of the trailers I've seen with the wells pushed out have been British and Canadian.

Being a mongrel is a good thing - you can do what you want to it without worry about destroying something historic.

You should see my trailer! It's a heavy duty mongrel that makes yours look like a beauty queen!!

Other than telling you to make it yours, the only other suggestion I have is this; if you like the historic "look" of it just try to preserve some of that "look" while making it yours. I hope that made sense. ;-)

Doc Rey

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca.
Member #

True about the wells. I ran across a couple pics of them though that were pushed out.

Just to toss another monkey wrench into it... most of the trailers I've seen with the wells pushed out have been British and Canadian.

Being a mongrel is a good thing - you can do what you want to it without worry about destroying something historic.

You should see my trailer! It's a heavy duty mongrel that makes yours look like a beauty queen!!

Other than telling you to make it yours, the only other suggestion I have is this; if you like the historic "look" of it just try to preserve some of that "look" while making it yours. I hope that made sense. ;-)
Thanks. I think as long as it holds up pretty good after the going -through, I'm good with that...for now.

Reactions: Correus

Fireplug117

Rank 0

Contributor I

Mcconnelsville Ohio
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Mansfield
Can you check with Cushman? Are they still in business selling utility vehicles for factories?

Quick story. Collector I know bought a rusty crusty lawn tractor at an auction only because the engine had Harley Davidson markings cast into the engine. He threw away the tractor and kept the engine on a stand in his little museum. Years later he had Dr. Martin Jack Rosenblum, Harley’s Historian, run the numbers on the engine. He came back with “where’s the tractor?” He said Harley had built 3 tractor prototypes. This was the only one they had ever had a lead on. He said it was essentially priceless.

The museum is/was owned by Jim’s Harley Davidson in Mendon, Ohio north of Greenville.

Might want to do some investigating before you cut her up....

Reactions: Doc Rey

Doc Rey

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca.
Member #

Can you check with Cushman? Are they still in business selling utility vehicles for factories?

Quick story. Collector I know bought a rusty crusty lawn tractor at an auction only because the engine had Harley Davidson markings cast into the engine. He threw away the tractor and kept the engine on a stand in his little museum. Years later he had Dr. Martin Jack Rosenblum, Harley’s Historian, run the numbers on the engine. He came back with “where’s the tractor?” He said Harley had built 3 tractor prototypes. This was the only one they had ever had a lead on. He said it was essentially priceless.

The museum is/was owned by Jim’s Harley Davidson in Mendon, Ohio north of Greenville.

Might want to do some investigating before you cut her up....
Thanks for the tip. All I did to it was put new tires, rewire it & re-paint it o.d. green again.