Current Mojave Road conditions?

• HTML tutorial

slide531

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
Hi, I had a hall pass fall in my lap for 10/13-10/16 and I'm scrambling to come up with a plan. I've been eyeing Mojave Rd for a while and since it's such short notice I'd likely have to do it solo (although if anyone sees this and wants to go let me know.)

I'm most concerned about Soda Lake. Anyone been there lately? I'd assume it is dry this time of year but if it's muddy I don't think I would tackle it solo. Not that concerned about the water crossing at the western end but wouldn't mind knowing how deep it was if you have crossed it recently.

Any other conditions to be aware of? Read about the detour, heard there are a couple alternatives there but havent fully studied that yet.

Backup plan is Coyote Flats and a little backpacking/peak bagging, but looks like it will be in the teens at night and not that thrilled about that...

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

AdventurousWay

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Full-Time RVers
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Knight
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HTM
I’m going next week so I spoke to the BLM and National Park rangers last week. They said that conditions were pretty good right now but you can always check with the National Weather Service for the most up-to-date info.

They said Soda Lake should be fine unless it rains. He didn’t know how deep the Afton Canyon water crossing is but said it would be fine to cross in a 4x4. I hadn’t realized but the floor of it is concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

slide531

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
Yep, Soda lake is fine and I guessed the river crossing was about 2.5', a little deeper than I thought it would be, wake came up on the hood.

I took the 14 mile detour after Fort Piute which was pretty fun, but some others said the detour was no longer necessary, although it's still signed as closed. Have fun, the last 40 miles are the best part.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pranqster

AdventurousWay

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Full-Time RVers
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Knight
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HTM
We survived and we had an epic time. Afton Canyon was deep - I’d say 30” is about right. We saw some horse riders and one said this is the deepest she’s ever seen it in 10 years. I’ll do a full trip write up and a video highlights reel - we’ve got over 500GB of video including some epic drone footage.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk