Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

From the Cummins website.....

The R2.8 Turbo Diesel is a powerful 2.8-liter 4-cylinder engine targeted as a cleaner and more efficient alternative to many older original gasoline and diesel engines used in iconic small pickups, SUV's, 4x4's and more.

The applicability of the R2.8 engine to any vehicle is the responsibility of the installer and may depend on state or area laws.
Installation of this part in a vehicle for which it is not intended may violate U.S. and Canadian laws and regulations related to motor vehicle emissions.
U.S. EPACARB

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

They are CARB compliant in Cali up to model year 1999 for Gas to Diesel swaps. The tech will only get better and they will be able to raise that nunmber as they sell more engines. Of course, if you live just about anyware else, that really doesn't matter. Put Nevada plates on it and call it good.

Reactions: HeliSniper

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

They are CARB compliant in Cali up to model year 1999 for Gas to Diesel swaps. The tech will only get better and they will be able to raise that nunmber as they sell more engines. Of course, if you live just about anyware else, that really doesn't matter. Put Nevada plates on it and call it good.
I like the way you think......

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Where is the information that they are CARB compliant to '99? That is awesome for me if that is indeed correct. Only remaining issues become price and whatever it takes to adapt that motor to an AX-15.

I don't think registering out of state is a good idea unless you keep your vehicle in a closed garage and drive it infrequently. Kali is pretty big on collecting its share of your tax dollars. Much better option is to register it in Kali, but in a zip code that doesn't require smog. Those areas exist. Local to me are Julian and Boulevard. Generally speaking it is the rural areas. Kali still collects their tax dollars. You just get out of jumping through hoops every two years. Everybody wins.

Reactions: HeliSniper

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

Overland bound did a video interview with them at OLExpo a while back. It's on YouTube. In that video the Cummins rep says they are emissions compliant up to model year '99.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Overland bound did a video interview with them at OLExpo a while back. It's on YouTube. In that video the Cummins rep says they are emissions compliant up to model year '99.
I will trust what a sales/marketing guy says when I see it backed up on a CARB EO document.

Otherwise it is likely to turn out that it is federal emissions compliant up to '99, but only legal in Kali on the two test vehicles that have been approved in this messed up state.

Just a perspective based on personal experience and 30 years of dealing with multiple iterations of the smog laws.

Edit to add, here is the Youtube for the Overland Bound video where they say 1999:

http://youtube.com/video/Eo5OZELKaVw

And here is another video where they are a bit more specific and say 1994 for Kali.

http://youtube.com/video/3TyKnfLuFNs

Like I said, I want to see the CARB EO documents before I go any farther down this path.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thelgord

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

Still works for me, I don't live in Cali. ;) and still won't stop people from dropping a Nevada or Oregon plate on it.

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
I have run into major push back from CARB trying to get my Land Rvoer Santana imported and even have a lawyer involved. CARB is ridiculous and overstepping their legal authority. My lawyer will be taking them to court but in the meantime, I will be registering out of state. A 50 state legal diesel would be worth its weight in gold in Commyfornia.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I'm a little disappointed in the Cummins engine specs.

It has 267 hp (120 kW) @ 3,600 rpm, 267 ft-lbs (362 N-m) torque at 1500-3,000 rpm, and the engine itself weighs in at over 500 lbs!
Not a big performer, but for a retro-fit engine maybe not too bad, and depends greatly on what the vehicle weighs that it goes in to.

For comparison, the Chev Colorado diesel 2.8L in-line 4 has 181 hp (135 kW) @ 3,400 rpm, and 369 ft-lbs (500 N-m) torque @ 2,000 rpm.

Anyone coming out with a 4 cylinder diesel in the next few years better compete with GM rather than Cummins if they want to sell cars!

And maybe if Cummins is on top of their game, they'll figure out a way to get more Torques out of their engine.

...just sayin'

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
Registering out of state will require you get a drivers license for that state. You need a address in that state in order to get a license. With the new federal compliant drivers license requirement coming in 2 years, mousing a drivers license is not something you would want to do. Many of the folks living on the road nowadays are going to have a tough time getting those licenses because they require a physical address, one you actually live at. I recently got my compliant license here in Az. and it was a pain. The regular got a job, got an address, got utilities type folks will have no issue but if you live outside that norm?

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I'm a little disappointed in the Cummins engine specs.

It has 267 hp (120 kW) @ 3,600 rpm, 267 ft-lbs (362 N-m) torque at 1500-3,000 rpm, and the engine itself weighs in at over 500 lbs!
Not a big performer, but for a retro-fit engine maybe not too bad, and depends greatly on what the vehicle weighs that it goes in to.

For comparison, the Chev Colorado diesel 2.8L in-line 4 has 181 hp (135 kW) @ 3,400 rpm, and 369 ft-lbs (500 N-m) torque @ 2,000 rpm.

Anyone coming out with a 4 cylinder diesel in the next few years better compete with GM rather than Cummins if they want to sell cars!

And maybe if Cummins is on top of their game, they'll figure out a way to get more Torques out of their engine.

...just sayin'
I suspect Cummins is playing the "lets get this thing approved" game. After that is done I suspect there will be magical improvements.

Keep in mind. politicians do not like it if anyone is having fun. That makes them hungry for more regulation. IF it sounds like this motor has the potential to be fun then it will get squashed like a bug. "Boring" is good at this stage of the game.

Once this boring motor is approved the aftermarket can step in and wake it up. Much like has happened with the 5.9.

Bronco Driver

Rank 0

Traveler I

Having done a engine swap into a vehicle, make sure the person that is doing it is experienced, that the company offering the swap components has worked out all the kinks and has the parts avail. Fabrication gets expensive quick! Did a 5.9 conversion into an f-350 a few years ago and what a bear getting the auto trans to work right and then getting all of the other stuff like back up lights, and T case to work and then integrate with the electronics on the vehicle.
Be ready for the long haul when doing a conversion. When something breaks most shops won't know what to do or will charge you through the nose as the vehicle is "special". As for cost- have 15-20K available if going with all new components. Lastly ask yourself do I really need it? Yes you will have a cool one off truck but is the juice worth the squeeze?

QCNR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Stavanger
First Name
Q
Last Name
R
Diesels, especially ECU controlled ones are very easy to tune, much easier than petrol engines.
So the specs for the engine are bottomline, give it to someone that knows what they are doing
And expect at least a 10-15% increase in performance, with no loss of economy.

xathor

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Harvest, AL
Member #

A buddy of mine got one of these in and I checked it out. Comes in pretty nice crate with pretty much everything you will need. It's a slick looking kit and the parts definitely look top notch.

People complaining about power are missing the point here. The point of the motor is to be able to legally put it in a wide variety of vehicles. It has to be emissions compliant to be legal. There are tunes for this ECU already that near double the power with just a tune.

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
With a simple reflash from Cummins, it will out out 300ftlbs and 200hp. They detuned it to meet emissions and be CARB certified.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

If I remember right, there was an article in JP mag. with the $10,000 for the Cummings 2.8 complete running crate motor. It is 50 state legalized now. Benz

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Not quite 50 state legal.

From Cummins' own page:

Due to state / provincial law restrictions, these engines are not currently available for purchase in the state of Texas or the province of Quebec.
That is in the fine print, most of the way down this page: https://cumminsengines.com/repower.aspx

Additionally, I have yet to see a CARB EO number for this package. Until they release a CARB EO number the only vehicles for which this is legal in Kalifornia are the 1975 and earlier smog exempt vehicles.

I am still waiting for details. Best info I have seen so far suggests it will be legal for '94 and down. This means I may have to buy another XJ if I want to build a legal Cummins XJ. That will elicit more than just a raised eyebrow from The Bride.