Launch Member

Contributor II

Texas
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Arnwine
Member #

I saw the video on the turbo diesel crate engine. Does anyone know what it costs? Engine and install? 1993 Land Cruiser. Thx

Reactions: BeastModeABM

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

After watching the video I requested more info from their website but haven't gotten anything from them yet.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I think their is an age limit for vehicles, to pass emissions. I don't think my rig is old enough.

Reactions: flex

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

I googled around and so far no "real" numbers are available. However, the consensus seem to be between $7-10k. But again, even those numbers are based on speculation.

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
FWIW: It will depend greatly on who does the install and what it goes in. For example do it yourselfers, independent shops, or dealer. Is it going in a Samurai or a Land Cruiser. Do chassis mods need to be made or are any adaptors needed.

Sent from my LGLS996 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Thelgord

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I have also seen some requirements on age limits and only speculation on price. If its under 10K that's a hell of a deal considering what you get, used rebuild Toyota 1HZ-T can set you back that much without all the accessories and support that comes with the cummins. Really looking forward to find out more.

jscusmcvet

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
I saw this engine In their test TJ and spoke with the guy from Cummins at overland expo east last year. Install looks stock and he spoke of some early real world figures of upper 20's mpg on the highway! He said this swap, all in, would be comparable in price to a GM crate engine swap all in. I am not sure what that figure is but sounds like some of you know more on that side than I do.
They have 25 engines that have been sold or being used as test cases and are going to release another 75 - 100 in the coming months. Sounds like by fall their production will be up enough to make it a call in your order and it ships to you in a couple days. If I recall correctly they have 2 locations that are going to produce it, one east and one west, which should help with shipping.
https://cumminsengines.com/repower.aspx

Reactions: Thelgord and 1derer

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

Thanks! I really hope they get eventually get this approved for newer vehicles. I would love to do this to my '13 Tacoma!

Reactions: Jeff Graham

Chappy Brent

Rank 0

Contributor I

ive been on the list for a long time now... would be nice to know how much I am going to have to throw onto the credit card or put into or pull out of the piggy bank. I have heard it would be competitive with a hemi or LS DIY swap. I was losing hope, and was just about pull the trigger on a hemi, but got inspired to wait just a little longer.

Reactions: flex

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
Cost of LS swap into a rover will run about $12k for engine/tranny/wiring and another 6 to 8k for install. The cummins will probably be around that all said and done. If you can do it yourself, obviously, you save a ton. Cummins is trying to get the motor under $10k, but then adapters,, tranny and integration will push it over $10k.

Chappy Brent

Rank 0

Contributor I

T
Cost of LS swap into a rover will run about $12k for engine/tranny/wiring and another 6 to 8k for install. The cummins will probably be around that all said and done. If you can do it yourself, obviously, you save a ton. Cummins is trying to get the motor under $10k, but then adapters,, tranny and integration will push it over $10k.
That is similar to what I heard. I can do a 5.7 hemi swap for about same, but the Cummins seems optimal for my Jeep Jk.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
IIRC, the Cummins package comes with a 50 state emissions package so chassis year of production is moot. Someone correct this if it is wrong.

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

IIRC, the Cummins package comes with a 50 state emissions package so chassis year of production is moot. Someone correct this if it is wrong.
Steve from Cummins said they are first going to release a 50 state compliant, gas to diesel swap, for vehicles up to 1999 (target for the first release). The EPA/emissions test vehicle is a 2000 TJ. I so can't wait until September.

Reactions: Mad Garden Gnome
T

The Raven

If this comes out our older LCs are going to get a boost in resale price if the swap is only available for older vehicles

flex

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tulare, California, United States
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Army
ive been on the list for a long time now... would be nice to know how much I am going to have to throw onto the credit card or put into or pull out of the piggy bank. I have heard it would be competitive with a hemi or LS DIY swap. I was losing hope, and was just about pull the trigger on a hemi, but got inspired to wait just a little longer.
I've been waiting a while also. I got an email saying they'd let me know when one was available. That was months ago.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
From what I read on their web site, they are 50 state legal and do not need to be year specific vehicles.
I can't imagine how they are making this work for Kali. Out here, anything I change needs to have a CARB EO number.

But if they can pull it off I am very interested. Among other things, if my '96 Cherokee were a diesel then I would no longer have to get it smogged. And that right there is why I really have to wonder if Cummins can pull it off. Kali doesn't like to give up that kind of control over people. Heaven knows people might go have fun or something. We couldn't have that, now could we?

Reactions: HeliSniper