Cummins "Re-Power" Program.

• HTML tutorial

Gnasher_PNW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Graham, Washington
Member #

So, has anyone else seen Cummins talking about releasing their first crate motor for the re-power program, early 2017?

2.8l, 4 valve common rail, diesel.

They're supposed to be 50 states legal diesels, and will come with everything you need to install them, and all the paperwork you need to register it legally with your state.

I am pretty excited about this, as this is perhaps the golden ticket I've been waiting for, for Gnasher.

Anyone have any input on this?

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
So, has anyone else seen Cummins talking about releasing their first crate motor for the re-power program, early 2017?

2.8l, 4 valve common rail, diesel.

They're supposed to be 50 states legal diesels, and will come with everything you need to install them, and all the paperwork you need to register it legally with your state.

I am pretty excited about this, as this is perhaps the golden ticket I've been waiting for, for Gnasher.

Anyone have any input on this?
I'd swap in a second!!! Wouldn't bet a dollar the People's Republic of California won't figure out a way to make it illegal :-(

Last edited:

Gnasher_PNW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Graham, Washington
Member #

I'd leave the state to get a diesel in the ZJ :-)
My hope *fingers crossed into pretzels*, is that Cummins will do something for us NICHE guys (DII), and that Washington state will get the hell over itself and let us register them.

Washington follows pretty closely to Californian standards.

OB member #2014, @Nigel88 (Instagram https://www.instagram.com/nigel_warrack/) put an old Mercedes OM617 into his Discovery I.

He's trying to get it into Washington, and I don't think they'll play ball.... poor guy. I am so stoked for him to have it in Washington in the next few years, more Disco's for me to adventure with!

But hey, I'm with you Reconnoiter, more diesels the merrier!

Reactions: Kelly

Gnasher_PNW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Graham, Washington
Member #

I've already been doing reading on how to get a Cummins 4bt into a Jeep JKU. I'm no where near needing a new motor, but when I do I want to go whole hog and throw a diesel in it.

If I could do that with a crate engine and not a rebuilt one that would be even better.

Right?

That would be awesome.

The 4bt gets a thumbs up too.

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I've already been doing reading on how to get a Cummins 4bt into a Jeep JKU. I'm no where near needing a new motor, but when I do I want to go whole hog and throw a diesel in it.

If I could do that with a crate engine and not a rebuilt one that would be even better.
Keep us wrangler guys posted!! I don't need one right now either but when I do I will probably jump all over it. Lol

Reactions: Gnasher_PNW

dghcruising

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mission Viejo
Member #

I read about a group doing VW TDI conversions in Jeeps.
The 4BT is very heavy, tall and loud. The Cummings ISF engines sound awsome.
The older Cummings engines had really low redlines, not good for the freeway, hopefully these will be different.
Dirt Everyday on youtube put one of the Cummings ISF engines in a jeep.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
For all you guys ready to pull this trigger, what would be a price you'd be willing to pay for this "kit"? Apparently Cummins is going to provide an ecu and a throttle pedal.
I'm looking forward to this as well, it would look really good in a 2nd gen 4runner where that 3.slow V6 used to be.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
For all you guys ready to pull this trigger, what would be a price you'd be willing to pay for this "kit"? Apparently Cummins is going to provide an ecu and a throttle pedal.
I'm looking forward to this as well, it would look really good in a 2nd gen 4runner where that 3.slow V6 used to be.
A new gas engine would be $5k. If I paid twice that for a Cummins, the increased fuel economy would totally make it worth it. My guess is, it will be $15-20k.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmnorthdirections

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I would pull the trigger on it if my gas engine was near the end of its service life or had been damaged in some way. I don't have the money to drop on an engine swap "just because".

Maybe sometime in the future, I could afford the swap and sell the VQ40 to offset the cost.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
If it includes the transmission, transfer case, and axle re-gear, then 15-20k is in the ballpark. If not, then it is high. I can get a new crate 4.7 for ~2500-3000. Knowing that the trans will have to be replaced and maybe the transfer case if it won"t mate, plus an axle re-gear to keep the highway RPMs rreasonable, I would not want to pay more than 5-7k for just an engine kit.