CrusaderZR2

Rank 0

Contributor II

Wichita Falls, TX, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Ingram
Here are few more pics from Last weekend! I'll have even more from this weekends Overlander meet in Coppell! And I may even have a few cool things to reveal as well!!

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow

CrusaderZR2

Rank 0

Contributor II

Wichita Falls, TX, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Ingram
Had a great time at the 4 Wheel Parts Overlander Meet this past weekend in Coppell, TX. They are going to be making it a monthly meet as this one had 52 Vehicles at the meet! so if any of you are interested follow and like their FB page for updates (4WP Overlander) And maybe we can get to one of these meets and go to trail or something right after! Here are a couple pictures I took!

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow

CrusaderZR2

Rank 0

Contributor II

Wichita Falls, TX, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Ingram
Awesome News!

I have placed the order for my new tent! I am working with Crusader Overland to bring in a tent that has not been seen in the industry to date! This is going to be a Game changer. Stay tuned to see what it is Once it arrives, and as soon as we get it we will be opening up pre orders as well. This is a huge void in the industry that is about to be filled. especially for those of us with trucks

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Do you ever flex in 4Lo? Have any pics?
I tried a spacer lift on my Tacoma for about a month before I ripped it out because I hated the lack of suspension travel. Do you flex often? I'm looking into switching my Tacoma for a ZR2, but I see a lack of suspension upgradability with the new Colorados, whereas with my 3rd gen Tacoma there are a plethora of non-spacer lift options.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Do you ever flex in 4Lo? Have any pics?
I tried a spacer lift on my Tacoma for about a month before I ripped it out because I hated the lack of suspension travel. Do you flex often? I'm looking into switching my Tacoma for a ZR2, but I see a lack of suspension upgradability with the new Colorados, whereas with my 3rd gen Tacoma there are a plethora of non-spacer lift options.
If your looking for articulation in the front suspension aka flex you should look into vehicles that have a solid axle , ifs suspensions arent know for crazy flex no matter what you do, if you heart is set on ifs then you can disconnect the sway bar and get a little bit more travel or do it the right way get a long travel a arms and get a few inches more.

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

Nice ZR2. I had one of the old S10 ZR2’s that I loved. Only downside was the lack of room and the gas mileage

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Had a great time at the 4 Wheel Parts Overlander Meet this past weekend in Coppell, TX. They are going to be making it a monthly meet as this one had 52 Vehicles at the meet! so if any of you are interested follow and like their FB page for updates (4WP Overlander) And maybe we can get to one of these meets and go to trail or something right after! Here are a couple pictures I took!
Wow nice turn out and some awesome rigs out there!

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

If your looking for articulation in the front suspension aka flex you should look into vehicles that have a solid axle , ifs suspensions arent know for crazy flex no matter what you do, if you heart is set on ifs then you can disconnect the sway bar and get a little bit more travel or do it the right way get a long travel a arms and get a few inches more.
That's not accurate. I don't have a solid axle but I flex fine in my Tacoma. I put a 2.5" OME lift on mine with a 3leaf AAL. The flex/suspension travel is great. A spacer lift preloads your suspension, which decreases the amount of potential travel your shocks can move, which is why spacer lifts are known to be a bad option for offroading etc. That's why I'm surprised to see many people referencing the ZR2 as a solid offroading platform after they've put a spacer lift on it. I'm just looking for info here, I want to understand more.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

That's not accurate. I don't have a solid axle but I flex fine in my Tacoma. I put a 2.5" OME lift on mine with a 3leaf AAL. The flex/suspension travel is great. A spacer lift preloads your suspension, which decreases the amount of potential travel your shocks can move, which is why spacer lifts are known to be a bad option for offroading etc. That's why I'm surprised to see many people referencing the ZR2 as a solid offroading platform after they've put a spacer lift on it. I'm just looking for info here, I want to understand more.
Im not sure what your definition of travel is then, i dont have a zr2 i do however have the z71 duramax and a 3 inch lift all around using spacers up front and shackles in rear. Ive offroaded in fairly large rock gardens and havent had anything hit, or rub and i havent noticed one tire off the ground at anytime, the ride on the highway is no different. The only time my tires have been off the ground is the one time i high centered on a steep small hill and when i jack the truck up. If you only do spacers and dont also do the diff drop, steering rack drop and the swaybar drop yes you will eventually run into problems, the cvs will wear quicker, the cv length and angle will limit the suspensions ability to take advantage of the spacers, the sway bars will bind, and tie rods will not be able to reach their full potential and all of these would have undo stress at all times. So in a way yes if you just put the spacers on its crap. On the otherhand if you did it the right way you just lowered stuff that will be able to hit sticks and rocks easier and may break.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Zoom in and you can see the difference in my control arm positions the rock on drivers side was about 1 ft higher than the passenger side rock if that helps you see the flex.
20190420_112318.jpg

Same position on the rocks from driver side. Note the tire isnt stuffed into the wheel well with the 1 ft difference and the truck is still relatively level

20190420_112254.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jun Dinsay

CrusaderZR2

Rank 0

Contributor II

Wichita Falls, TX, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Ingram
My
We have multiple options for lifts. The most common being the PEAK suspension coilover conversion kit which is relatively cheap. And basically is just an adjustable front spring swap, and a rear add a leaf to level everything out. And is what I will be moving to eventually. We have body lifts, BDS lift, kings lifts, many others. I wheel with Toyotas all the time and they are always impressed with this truck. Most even admit it is more capable. But I'm not trying to start a debate about that. The reason you see so much more for the Toyota is because it's not a brand new platform. Even though yours is a 3rd Gen and it's newer, they still have a much larger fan base, and aftermarket support system. The Colorado has just now started leaning this way in the aftermarket and is just now getting people on board with making products for it. As for flex my truck has no issues at all. However, flex is all relative. A jeep or anything with solid axles will always be more capable of flexing than IFS. It's just part of the game. But I'm not going on trails where I need to have crazy flex so I'm fine with how my truck performs. And love the fuel mileage range I get out of it as well. My spacer lift doesn't seem to affect the travel or preload of the suspension but I'm new to this kind of thing. So I'm not sure. I am used to building Race cars, not an off-road rig. This is my first off road rig that I am modifying very slightly. I'm not going for the best, just what fits why I'm using the truck. Which is daily, to tow every now and again and take me offroading and camping every now and again.

On another note I have plenty of updates that I can post later. I'm on lunch in my class. So after class I'll be able to update everyone on the build.IMG_20191027_152457_237.jpg

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

My

We have multiple options for lifts. The most common being the PEAK suspension coilover conversion kit which is relatively cheap. And basically is just an adjustable front spring swap, and a rear add a leaf to level everything out. And is what I will be moving to eventually. We have body lifts, BDS lift, kings lifts, many others. I wheel with Toyotas all the time and they are always impressed with this truck. Most even admit it is more capable. But I'm not trying to start a debate about that. The reason you see so much more for the Toyota is because it's not a brand new platform. Even though yours is a 3rd Gen and it's newer, they still have a much larger fan base, and aftermarket support system. The Colorado has just now started leaning this way in the aftermarket and is just now getting people on board with making products for it. As for flex my truck has no issues at all. However, flex is all relative. A jeep or anything with solid axles will always be more capable of flexing than IFS. It's just part of the game. But I'm not going on trails where I need to have crazy flex so I'm fine with how my truck performs. And love the fuel mileage range I get out of it as well. My spacer lift doesn't seem to affect the travel or preload of the suspension but I'm new to this kind of thing. So I'm not sure. I am used to building Race cars, not an off-road rig. This is my first off road rig that I am modifying very slightly. I'm not going for the best, just what fits why I'm using the truck. Which is daily, to tow every now and again and take me offroading and camping every now and again.

On another note I have plenty of updates that I can post later. I'm on lunch in my class. So after class I'll be able to update everyone on the build.View attachment 124552
I appreciate that info, thanks. I know one of the biggest appeals of the ZR2 compared to a Tacoma is the dual locking diffs stock. I also really like the look of the ZR2 with the bed light bar. Would love the Bison but that jacks up the price significantly. No matter what, I'd want 33s to make me feel better about the low hanging rear shock mounts. Definitely not a fan of that design choice. So I'll look into those few options you mentioned for suspension lifts. I assume I'll still need to cut some fender to fit them without rubbing while flexing.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
589FAB has a new kit to move the rear shocks to outside the frame, no more shock clearance issues. 33" and above require cutting the fender wells.

Reactions: geekyadam

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Can you link to info on that? All I can find are shock skids
They are sold out on the first batch already. Little over $300 plus I figure about $300 labor for install. I have had 589 shock skids since they first came out, hit them on logs and maybe 1 or 2 times on a rock. The relocation kit well remove any worry about damaging the oem mount. It well also void the shock warranty. A small percentage have had leaks at the shaft seals, it's a uncommon but known problem. I still have 8 months of warranty left and I'll wait until it's up the do this kit.

Reactions: dp454so