Explorer I

Irvine, Orange County, California, United States
First Name
Marco
Last Name
Brettschneider
Member #

Hi there!
We are planning our first trip to Baja California!
We want to carry a propane tank for our gas campfire and gas grill. Someone told me that I could not take the tank across the border. Does anyone have any comments and experiences ?
Also with all that overlanding gear stacked up to the roof in the car I wonder if we would have to take the "nothing to declare" or the red lane at the border to declare the items and carry a packing list?
Appreciate any comments.
Thanks and Cheers

Marco

ButcherShop

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Eastvale, California, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Butcher
Member #

Bookmarked! I haven’t crossed the border becuase I don’t know where to start with all that. I also want to do a trip into Canada as well.

Anyone out there able to point us in the right direction? People do these trips everyday so it can’t be that tough.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

We use to go to Pete's Campo all the time and had no problem with all the crap we carried , but coming back we had to give all our eggs, even though they were from the US. We found it was easier to just give all the left over food away than crossing the Border with it....We have not been across since Covid.....

Reactions: Bretti

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I didn't have an issue. My vehicle and trailer were casually searched at all checkpoints. It has been a few years since I have crossed. I have heard they don't want you to have full gas cans. That may or may not be true. Mine were empty. Your mileage may vary. Generally speaking the checkpoint people are just trying to do their jobs. I never had any issues. Have others? Possibly, it probably depends on the crossing and if you are with a group or not.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Bretti

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hi there!
We want to carry a propane tank for our gas campfire and gas grill. Someone told me that I could not take the tank across the border. Does anyone have any comments and experiences ?
Also with all that overlanding gear stacked up to the roof in the car I wonder if we would have to take the "nothing to declare" or the red lane at the border to declare the items and carry a packing list?
Appreciate any comments.
Thanks and Cheers

Marco
Only thing I am sure about is absolutely no weapons or ammunition.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Only thing I am sure about is absolutely no weapons or ammunition.
If you carry these things in your vehicle in the states TRIPLE check you do not leave anything by accident. Lots of folks rot in jail for months when caught. Mexico does not take kindly to this violation. Plenty of sad stories online for people that have made the mistake.

joseluis.17g

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Gomez
I´m from México and I´ve crossed the border many times with coleman propane bottles, as they are way cheaper in the US,
the only thing that would get you into trouble is as mentioned before, is carrying any type of firearm or amunition.
if you have anything that looks like a gun carying case, you migth get asked to open it, but nothing more, they are for the most part very nice people just doing their job

if you want you can send me a DM with any questions

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Hi there!
Appreciate any comments.
Thanks and Cheers

Marco
@Hourless Life just crossed the border recently. Maybe they'll have some tips.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Hi there!
Appreciate any comments.
Thanks and Cheers

Marco
@Hourless Life just crossed the border recently. Maybe they'll have some tips.
We crossed the border in Eagle Pass, Texas to Piedras Negras on October 9th.

I don’t foresee any issues with propane tanks other than refilling them if needed.

As other posters have mentioned, no guns, no ammo, nothing that would even suggest you are carrying a firearm.

I’m part of a veterans Jeep club in the states and our club logo had a pair of M16s on the decal. Even took the decal off.

Biggest thing is to be patient at the border and if you don’t get flagged and they allow you to drive through, make sure you still stop at the aduana/Banjercito for your FMM and TIP (if heading to interior) if just going to Baja you won’t need the TIP.

Check with the FB group On the Road In Mexico for the latest update on which crossing is the best. They can change from week to week and sometimes a small 2 hour jaunt to the next border crossing can save you a bit of a headache.

I’m actually working on a YouTube video about the most common questions we get asked about overlanding in Mexico. If all goes well it should be up this Thursday.

Not sure when you are leaving but feel free to respond with any specific questions and I’ll do my best to answer. ~ Eric

Reactions: Mark E and Bretti

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I cross almost monthly, No issues with propane, Mexico runs on it, you can get filled in most towns and it's less expensive BTY. The 1# are expensive and sometimes hard to find, but a small tank is the way to go (2.5 or 5 gal). Take the nothing to declare lane, you are not importing anything. Depending where you cross you might get X-rayed, or searched. I had a friend get pulled into secondary coming north with 3, 5gal propane tanks, he set off the radiation sensors.
Don't take:
Ammo or firearms
Wood
Fuel in the Jerry/roto cans. Fill south of the boarded.
Drugs
A shitty us and them attitude !

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I cross almost monthly, No issues with propane, Mexico runs on it, you can get filled in most towns and it's less expensive BTY. The 1# are expensive and sometimes hard to find, but a small tank is the way to go (2.5 or 5 gal). Take the nothing to declare lane, you are not importing anything. Depending where you cross you might get X-rayed, or searched. I had a friend get pulled into secondary coming north with 3, 5gal propane tanks, he set off the radiation sensors.
Don't take:
Ammo or firearms
Wood
Fuel in the Jerry/roto cans. Fill south of the boarded.
Drugs
A shitty us and them attitude !
Solid info Mike! Didn't know that about not having fuel in the jerry cans. I've always crossed with my tanks full and never had an issue, but probably because they just didn't hassle me or ask. I'm sure you know of what you speak. Appreciate your insight. ~ E

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

You'll have a great time.I hope the weather holds. As the low get over the 4 corner states the winds, It will blow south, consider the pacific side.

Jhop567

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sagle, Idaho
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFL231
Service Branch
LEO
I used to pit crew for an off road race truck years ago. The no ammo or firearms rule is NO SHIT!!!! You definitely don't want to go to their version of jail.
We would go to Costco or Walmart before the trip south and buy a couple of soccer balls. When we set our pit up, we'd give them to the kids who were always drawn to the activity. Great way to make friends as the same kids showed up each race.