DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
So I decided to get out to Loyalsock. It is a 2 hour highway drive. But who wants to drive the highway.

So, starting in Rothrock going through Bald Eagle up through Pine Creek and then over to Loyalsock and across is about a 14 hour dirt road extravaganza.

So that is too much for a day trip. But I have it routed...2021_PLP_locator_August_v1_lettersize_copy_752c2435-d86c-48e1-8e32-f435e594f63e~9.jpg

The RED line is the sections I have routed to be inclusive to dirt.
The green is just a direct route for the long trip...and blue is just a direct route for the scouting trip. I still need to route this area for off pavement...another GAP in the maps.

Using the blue route it is only 7ish hours to the Loyalsock set in. And then about 3 hours to drive across the Loyalsock map. Giving me enough to time to...ugh...drive the highway home.

I again plotted the route on google maps. I have been trying to find a way to match up the routes...but it seems to be something you need to use a computer for and a bunch of cutting and pasting.

I will share the routes with more posts in this thread...the blue and green are still a work in progress.

The full route is 343 miles...guessing about almost 290 miles is off pavement.

And the scout route is 232 miles with probably 190 miles off pavement.

Think that makes for a pretty good overlanding route...even by Western standards.

TSO_NJ

Rank V

Explorer I

Burlington County, NJ, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mez
Member #

So I decided to get out to Loyalsock. It is a 2 hour highway drive. But who wants to drive the highway.

So, starting in Rothrock going through Bald Eagle up through Pine Creek and then over to Loyalsock and across is about a 14 hour dirt road extravaganza.

So that is too much for a day trip. But I have it routed...View attachment 213247

The RED line is the sections I have routed to be inclusive to dirt.
The green is just a direct route for the long trip...and blue is just a direct route for the scouting trip. I still need to route this area for off pavement...another GAP in the maps.

Using the blue route it is only 7ish hours to the Loyalsock set in. And then about 3 hours to drive across the Loyalsock map. Giving me enough to time to...ugh...drive the highway home.

I again plotted the route on google maps. I have been trying to find a way to match up the routes...but it seems to be something you need to use a computer for and a bunch of cutting and pasting.

I will share the routes with more posts in this thread...the blue and green are still a work in progress.

The full route is 343 miles...guessing about almost 290 miles is off pavement.

And the scout route is 232 miles with probably 190 miles off pavement.

Think that makes for a pretty good overlanding route...even by Western standards.
Great information! We’re planning an overland outing in March-April-May (just one of these months) to your area. I can use this data for nailing down our route.

A BIG THANKS!

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Nice work and if I understand it's a route 'in progress' of exploring. I will ask, because I'm interested, is to the rating of trails. We travel mostly solo on Byways (love dirt) and have taken caution towards extremes, being we're traveling.. Please do rate these, as best you can for those like I that really wish to travel along.

Not completely knowing the area, is this between the MABDR & the NEBDR? What a connection if so!

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Nice work and if I understand it's a route 'in progress' of exploring. I will ask, because I'm interested, is to the rating of trails. We travel mostly solo on Byways (love dirt) and have taken caution towards extremes, being we're traveling.. Please do rate these, as best you can for those like I that really wish to travel along.

Not completely knowing the area, is this between the MABDR & the NEBDR? What a connection if so!
These are all forest roads...so basically any vehicle with decent ground clearance. In the winter they may be impassible though.

I lost interest in the BDR routes as they miss so much dirt...

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer

As far as the in progress. At the moment both routes are a direct route from pine creek or bald eagle to Loyalsock. I plan to make them off pavement, but there is no purple lizard map of the small GAP.

In my other route i was able to use the Sproul SF Day use map to "close the GAP"

On this route I need to get the Tiadaghton SF Day use map to do that...which I currently do not have.

I have extensively ran the Rothrock and Bald Eagle Route and had a helper scout the Pine Creek route and am planning information on the Loyalsock Route soon.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer

And as far as the MABDR and NEBDR...i would say with a bit more eastward and northward expansion...you could connect themdownload.jpegNorth-East-BDR-route-released.jpg

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
These are all forest roads...so basically any vehicle with decent ground clearance. In the winter they may be impassible though.

I lost interest in the BDR routes as they miss so much dirt...
That being said...you can easily incorporate many of the 4x4 HC trails in the area with just a few left or right turns. I have a 4x4 HC trail route I am also working on...but it is a bit rough using them for scouting trips.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Connecting the Purple Lizard Maps

A couple people have been able to import this right to GAIA

TSO_NJ

Rank V

Explorer I

Burlington County, NJ, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mez
Member #

Last edited:

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
The @DevilDodge Central Pennsylvania's Overland Route is shaping up to be a great multi-day outing at 380 miles (not including Loyalstock State Forest)

View attachment 213452
And each section has hundreds more. I bet you can easily cover 1000 miles off pavement in the area.

Rothrock easily has over 100 miles. bald eagle close to 200. Same with Moshannon. Sproul has endless roads...and most are dead end...do we count that twice...lol.

The routes are direct travel. My original plan is to stay 2 nights in each Map...lots and lots of miles

I have many more routes...both planned and scouted...for another day....i need more seat time and less planning time lol