Couple onboard water questions, thinking of changing my setup

• HTML tutorial

OutdoorsBen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Western Massachusetts
Member #

I currently use one of those collapsible 5gallon bladder jugs for drinking and I have a 4gal waterport that I use for dishes, hosing off the dog, hosing off fishing gear, hosing off canoe's, etc... The waterport is mounted in the rear receiver and usually the bladder is at camp. I'm thinking of changing this up a little and using one or two jerry cans mounted on the front fender with those moryde mounts. Now i've looked at some jerry cans and I came across the lifesaver ones which seem convenient. They seem to do a good job filtering out things, albeit super pricey.

Has anyone modified a Lifesaver can to use a compressor/bike pump instead of the hand pump?
Does anyone have any documentation or suggestions to filter the water in the waterport I have now?

Reactions: DMS1

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I wish someone made a horizontal jerry-can with the cap on the flat side. A jerry can sits too tall on my roof rack when mounted in the upright position. The rotopax are too big in the footprint.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Has anyone modified a Lifesaver can to use a compressor/bike pump instead of the hand pump?
I have been looking at the life saver for a bit now. The one I saw a while back made me wish the water flowed a bit faster. The biggest issue is the filter is very restrictive. A better flowing one either wont filter as well or would be too big. If you over pressurize by accident, you damage the filter. Adding a shrader valve would be very easy as long as you could get something to hold the nut on the inside while you tightened it.

Does anyone have any documentation or suggestions to filter the water in the waterport I have now?
This is something else I have been thinking on. I have several scepter water cans. People add in electric pumps, pressurize the can or add hand pumps. I want an electric motor with a filter all built into the unit. Running external filter pump is easy but not portable.
The challenge is the filter. It has to be at least a solid carbon and would be nice to have it be carbon/ceramic or membrane. I cant find a membrane or carbon/ceramic that is a good size and flows well. My solution so far is a garden hose filter. They come in two designs either charcoal or solid carbon. The charcoal is out because it breaks down over time. I run the solid carbon as a filter when I fill my water tanks and cans. The only issue is the over all length but it filters very well and have a good flow rate. Garden hose filter
It would attach as high as possible and have a narrower diameter hose to the bottom of the can. I'm still looking for something a bit smaller. As I said, finding something that I can put inside, filters well and has a good flow rate has been an issue.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I have been thinking of trying a small outboard gas can. They hold 2-10 gallons, usually sit low profile, have a gravity flow and primer bulb. Might take some finagling to sort out the shower head, but it’s metal, will heat by the Sun or by the fill cap... can probably be pricey to buy a new one, but I have seen them... Things that make one go “hmmm”.