Gary
Last Name
Priest
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8JOK
Service Branch
USAF
I have a USGI cot and like it for the durability but the fabric is so tight it is impossible to properly assemble by hand. I’d like to find a similarly rugged cot that packs well for the road. When I read reviews of commercially made cots most complain of shoddy materials, stitching, etc. Is there a commercial cot worth buying?

Gary

Bad River Runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Milwaukee, WI, USA
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Gagnon
Member #

I picked up the Coleman trailhead very decent cot I do put form underneath just because of my back they are wider but great. The only issue I have had is the assembly when you’re putting it together got to use a lot of elbow grease but the more you use it at breaks in

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I have a USGI cot and like it for the durability but the fabric is so tight it is impossible to properly assemble by hand. I’d like to find a similarly rugged cot that packs well for the road. When I read reviews of commercially made cots most complain of shoddy materials, stitching, etc. Is there a commercial cot worth buying?

Gary
It's all about technique. Stand the cot on it's end. Stand on the lower legs and use your legs and arms to help push the crossbar into place. You can also flip it the other way and use your foot press down on the bar.

Reactions: Ubiety

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We have a couple of cots from Cabela's seem to be of decent construction and solid when set can hold a lot of weight. They are just a bit short for me as I am 6'4" but most cots are. Only real downside is that they are fairly heavy, but the do fit into a pretty compact bag and they have a neat organizer that hangs of one side to stash all your small items. A bit tight to set up at first , but gets easier as they are used. We put two of them side by side in our Gazelle tent. normally $80, but see them on sale for around $50ish sometimes
1610163884571.png

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Second the nicer Cabelas cots, well made but heavy and bulky packed. Some models have mechanisms to help get the final crossbar on a little easier. One has a little pry bar mechanism but I prefer mine which has a lever that shortens one of the lengthwise bars to make getting the crossbar on easier. Have used it for about 5 seasons with no issue or degrading of the cot.

The pic that @OTH Overland shared shows the organizer hanging off of the side which is an extra. I have one but rarely use it. I prefer the “cot tree” option that allows you to hang your coat and has some pockets of its own. In a pinch you can throw a tarp over the top of the “cot tree” on one end and your feet on the other end, the extra elevation of the coat tree will cause rain to run off and not pool.

A buddy of mine extends the canvas from his bedroll up the cot tree making a nice wind break

ECB11151-CDED-47D1-9444-98FEA28EEB6F.png

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Re read other posts... The side organizer was an extra for my cot as was cot tree, some may come with it per @OTH Overland’s comment. Definitely bulkier packed up but it is solid. Never tried mine in the T4, usually have wife and son in there when I tent, use mine for sleeping under the stars which is where hanging a tarp and wind guard are beneficial.

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Teton Sports cot purchased from Sportman’s about 7 years ago is holding up well. Full size cot used for camping under the stars or at my bud’s cabin. Camping with my TJ, I use(d) an Alps Mountaineering Ready Lite cot. Fits inside my Gazelle T3 tent and breaks down into a compact size to fit in the Jeep. The down side is the setup & breakdown. I tried a Wallyworld air mattress & 12v pump on my last trip, not bad but bulky. Next trip will try the recently arrived Go-Kot. Similar size & layout to the Ready Lite but much easier and faster to setup & breakdown. Slightly bigger pack size but still good for the TJ.

Attachments

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I tried a few cots at an RV show and found this was best for me at 300lbs. Love the tilt up head so I can bring just one pillow. Supports 500lbs, but did find a few others that supports 600lbs from other manufacturers. Two of these do fit inside a Gazelle tent with room to spare.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shamu and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Teton Sports cot purchased from Sportman’s about 7 years ago is holding up well. Full size cot used for camping under the stars or at my bud’s cabin. Camping with my TJ, I use(d) an Alps Mountaineering Ready Lite cot. Fits inside my Gazelle T3 tent and breaks down into a compact size to fit in the Jeep. The down side is the setup & breakdown. I tried a Wallyworld air mattress & 12v pump on my last trip, not bad but bulky. Next trip will try the recently arrived Go-Kot. Similar size & layout to the Ready Lite but much easier and faster to setup & breakdown. Slightly bigger pack size but still good for the TJ.
If you remember I would love to hear how your lighter cot serves you - thinking one or a few would be nice for the family T4 camping. Thanks!

Reactions: Shamu

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I tried a few cots at an RV show and found this was best for me at 300lbs. Love the tilt up head so I can bring just one pillow. Supports 500lbs, but did find a few others that supports 600lbs from other manufacturers. Two of these do fit inside a Gazelle tent with room to spare.

Broken link :( Which cot is it that you are liking?

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

T3 or T4 tent?

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

If you remember I would love to hear how your lighter cot serves you - thinking one or a few would be nice for the family T4 camping. Thanks!
Will do. The Ready Lite is still going strong and is comfortable once setup but, the setup is the tradeoff for its small pack size. Takes longer to setup than the T3 tent, for me at least.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Will do. The Ready Lite is still going strong and is comfortable once setup but, the setup is the tradeoff for its small pack size. Takes longer to setup than the T3 tent, for me at least.
Thanks! The T4 has the same tradeoff - huge and bulky but sets up and tears down quickly and easily. I'm not used to a tent and only got it for the family so went big - but I am becoming a convert especially with the Mr Buddy Mr Heater goodness.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
The organizers were included as part of the cot. We place both cots side by side in the T4 Gazelle with a 24"X36" dog crate on one side, leaving about a foot of space on the other side of the tent, enough space for me to get off the cot and stand to get out of the tent. We use the dog crate to keep our GSD from laying against the side of the tent, and to prevent excessive shedding of hair on our sleeping gear. We pack the tent, both cots, and sleeping bags on the roof in a narrow Thule rocket box.

Reactions: syncro and Ubiety

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Broken link :( Which cot is it that you are liking?
Weird. Fixed now. It is wider than most and supports 500lbs. I am 300lbs so having a bit more room and the head tilt makes it a lot more comfy. It is a bit big to store on the roof rack, but nothing I cant make work out ok.

Wandering_Wolverine

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Papillion, NE, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Priest
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8JOK
Service Branch
USAF
Thanks for all who replied with your recommendations. I live near a Cabelas so I got one of their big outdoorsman cots to try out. It is large and heavy but very comfortable. I set it up in the basement and slept on it the last two nights. Most importantly, my wife gave it tentative approval. I’m trying to get the whole family out this summer and making everybody comfortable will be important. We have a Gazelle T4 plus for the family of four So space isn’t really an issue.

I had not heard of GO-KOT but like made in the USA gear so might get one of those also for solo trips.

syncro

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle
First Name
Tim
Last Name
K
Member #

Weird. Fixed now. It is wider than most and supports 500lbs. I am 300lbs so having a bit more room and the head tilt makes it a lot more comfy. It is a bit big to store on the roof rack, but nothing I cant make work out ok.

Still broken ;-(

edit: sorry, link is not "broken" . It's just the way the OB software converts links to amazon affliate links -- flags them as advertising and some browser plugins block 'em.

Last edited:

syncro

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle
First Name
Tim
Last Name
K
Member #

This is the cot I bought and love it, needed the extra length since I'm 6'4" tall.

Your link's broken. I'm 6'6 so I'm interested in tall-friendly cots.

edit: sorry, link is not "broken" . It's just the way the OB software converts links to amazon affliate links -- flags them as advertising and some browser plugins block 'em.

Last edited:

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

I recently bought 3 different cots (and so far kept all 3, since each of us liked one in particular - how convenient). Anyway, here's a short list of details on each one:

Oztent King Goanna Cot - $100 + shipping from Oztent US
Packed: 43" (L) × 7" (W) × 9" (H)
Frame size: 82.5" (L) × 31" (W) × 19" (H)
Inside bed size: 78"x26"
36" (W) crossbars
Weight: 25lbs
Padded. Easy to assemble. Wobbles a bit, but sturdy. A little bit harder to pack away due to padded bedding, but has the nicest carry bag.
5-year warranty.
Super easy to setup
King Goanna Cot

Coleman Trailhead II Cot - $31 on Amazon
Packed: 37" (L) x 5" (W) x 7" (H)
Setup: 75" (L) x 30" (W) x 16" (H)
Inside bed size: 71"x25"
35" (W) crossbars
Weight: 19lbs
Steel X-Frame
Easy to setup, but requires some strength. Sturdy. Easy to pack up.
1-year warranty
https://amzn.to/35Ve3Qr

Coleman Camping Cot with Side Table - $60 on Amazon
Packed: 40" (L) x 7" (W) x 7" (H)
Setup: 81" (L) x 31" (W) x 18.5" (H)
Inside bed size: 77"x25"
43"(W) with side table attached
Weight: 19lbs
Very easy to setup, but unstable until you place it down. Very easy to pack up.
Side "table" with cup holder.
1-year warranty
https://amzn.to/38GWXaI