Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Going to head up to Corral Hollow for a quick weekend get away June 24th. Will be heading up with Jelorian in his Z71 Suburban and an FJ. Not sure if we are heading up the 23rd after work early on the 24th. Anyone else interested you are welcome to join. More to come as I confirm.

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut Grove, CA 95690, USA
First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

Good luck, the East entry by Bear Valley is about 4 feet deep. The West entry behind the Cabbage Patch Maintenance Station still has the gate closed. Even if they open the gate by 6/24, the snow pack at the top will most likely to too deep to get to the summit. Right now, Lake Alpine is still at least 80% frozen. Cal Trans is not projecting to get Hwy. 4 open until the July 4 weekend.

I would suggest contacting the local forest service to see if they will have that road open by then.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Thanks for the info will have to try in July. Looking to do a weekend getaway close by maybe Pewitt ridge...hnm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: john casson

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

Looks promising for this weekend. Looks like HWY 4 closed east of Alpine but trail head should be accessible.
Yes, Hwy. 4 will be closed well into July due to repairs. Not sure what kind of snow may be left at the trail head, but you can count on large drifts at the summit in the trees. Look forward to hear an update on the conditions.

Reactions: boss324

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

I still plan on heading up this weekend with Jelorian and maybe a few others. Will call tomorrow for trail condition. Also looks like we have a plan b and head to Barney Riley. Cheers!

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Just confirmed with Calaveras Ranger District Corral Hollow Trail open. Some snow banks, muddy wet conditions reported. Also HWY 4 clear up to trail head however closed due to construction by Lake Alpine.

Reactions: rochmpr

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Yeah we seen someone else posted on another thread yesterday so will be heading up to Barney Riley Trail instead.

The plan is to meetup with a group coming in from the Bay Area at the Tracy Black Bear diner around 7a then head out on HWY 5 toward Sacramento to HWY 50.

Trail info and directions:

http://4x4trailmaps.com/4x4Trails.php?Trail_ID=76

Last edited:

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

Yeah we seen someone else posted on another thread yesterday so will be heading up to Barney Riley Trail instead.

The plan is to meetup with a group coming in from the Bay Area at the Tracy Black Bear diner around 7a then head out on HWY 5 toward Sacramento to HWY 50.

Trail info and directions:

http://4x4trailmaps.com/4x4Trails.php?Trail_ID=76

Nice, hope to go there this summer after Ebbett's Pass opens. I spend most of my weekends in Dorrington, so Hwy. 4 is where I like to spend a lot of time. This winter has caused so much damage to the roads and trails up here, it is going to be interesting to see what is accessible after all the snow melts.