Corral Hollow and Mattley Ridge, now with more snow! - CA

• HTML tutorial

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
This weekend some friends and I were planning to run the Deer Valley trail, but then a winter storm warning was issued and we decided to change our plans. Instead we headed up to the Bear Valley area and ran Corral Hollow and Mattley Ridge. There are other write ups for Corral Hollow on this site, but I thought people might be interested in seeing it in the snow.

Here's an overview of our route. We first went up the the Bear Valley ski resort to check on how much snow was on the ground. Highway 4 is closed before Lake Alpine for the winter so this is the end of the road. We then headed back down and ran Corral Hollow from east to west. This is the more difficult direction because you run the rock garden uphill, and we wanted to get through that first since it was snowing and we did not know how much was going to come down. After Corral Hollow we still had some daylight so we ran part of the Mattley Ridge trail.

-----
Public Service Announcement

Obviously you need to be extra careful when offroading in the snow. We are familiar with the area and were prepared with warm clothes, shovels, boots, gloves, food, water, sleeping bags, and recovery equipment just in case. Neither of these are hard trails, but route finding can become difficult during a snow storm and traction is greatly reduced.
-----

Here is the start of Corral Hollow. There was just a few inches of snow on the ground and it was not coming down too heavily so we felt that it was safe to head in.

The small rock garden was not a problem, even for my friend in his Sequoia which was pretty large for this trail.

This was the only tricky spot we ran into, and only because the snow and mud really limited traction. In these conditions you have to be careful not to tear up the trail, so we just took it slow and easy. I wish I had video, but this was a really good example of the benefits of the solid front axle on the WJ vs the IFS on the Toyotas.

Up on top of Blood's Ridge where we stopped so the dog could play in the snow.

Here's the view from @Michael 's favorite camping spot. Usually you can see across the valley to the backside of the Bear Valley ski resort, but we just saw clouds this time. Temperatures were in the low 30's, so not too bad.

This shot really shows how much larger a Sequoia is than a 4Runner.

Local wildlife.

We stopped at the USFS cabin in Bear Trap basin to build up our self esteem. Thanks Abe, see you next time I'm in Chicago.

In a few months the cabin will be surrounded by more than 10' of snow.

We were surprised to run into two other groups on the trail, and I have a few trail tips based on what we observed.
1) Drinking beer and shooting rifles at the same time probably isn't the best idea.
2) Shooting towards the trail and/or using granite as a backstop are both not great ideas.
3) Traveling on a trail without a GPS or a map during a winter storm is not a great idea.

The western half of Corral Hollow had less snow and was bare dirt in areas. We dropped down onto NF-7N09 and debated what to do next.

to be continued...

Reactions: K1mj

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
There was still some daylight left so we decided to head north on the Mattley Ridge trail. When heading from south to north most of the trial is uphill and some sections were loose and rocky.

A dense fog started to roll in and the light started to fade since it was late afternoon. Bright lights just blind you since they reflect off the snow and fog, but they make pictures more exciting.

The trail started to get covered by snow, but we had no real issues navigating.

Though it did get difficult to spot the trail in sections, but here you could easily see where there was no grass.

But then more fog came in and made things fun. If the snow had been any deeper finding the route through the meadows would have been difficult, and we did not want to veer off trail.

We were quickly loosing light and gaining fog, so we decided the best plan was not to run the upper loop and instead we stayed on NF-7N69 and headed west towards NF-7N09 which is a large graded dirt road that heads back to highway 4. Someone had recently come up this section of the trail and dug things up a bit, so it was a bit of a slippery and bumpy ride for us coming down.

We made it back to highway 4 about 6pm and stopped for a quick post-trail vehicle check before heading down to dinner at Snowshoe Brewery in Arnold. The fog on highway 4 was really thick and we had to drive quite a bit below the speed limit due to limited visibility.

As always it was great to get out and go exploring, and the snow was an added bonus that made the experience all that much more enjoyable. If you do go offroading in the snow please be prepared and keep a close eye on the weather, and please be careful about treading lightly.

- Matt

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Was considering going there in my JKUR next week for an overnight camp at the overlook spot. Hmm. Snow might be thicker by now. Decisions...decisions...