Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I've been carrying a Stihl MS 170, but no more. No more gas fumes. No more Sta-Bil. No more spark plug changes. No more problems at high-altitude. No more pull starting. No more earplugs.

9.0 Amp Hour battery runs all my other tools.

First "tree across the trail" I run into, I'll shoot a review video.

IMG_6767.PNG

Last edited:

kkauweloa

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

You being up some great points about gas altitude and stabilizer. After seeing the dewalt in action I'm convinced battery power is the way to go. Especially with the flexibility of multi tool capability with one battery

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Sure could have used that today coming back from Prewitt Ridge. Luckily I had an axe and a hand saw with me. One way out. This chainsaw looks huge tho. Seems like it would take a lot of room up in the rig. At least I got a good workout hacking and sawing. It's amazing how the tree fell RIGHT in-between another "V" of a tree. Then when it finally dropped it got hung up on a root. Well...last bit was pulling it down with a tow strap.

Prewitt Tree.jpeg

Prewitt Tree 2.jpeg

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Since you used Stihl in the past, did you compare the DeWalt to the Stihl battery Chainsaw
The only comparison I did was that they both clear trails, AND the Dewalt runs guiet, always starts, needs little maintenance, and does not require fuel/oil/Stabil/spark plugs. PLUS, I can keep it inside the rig AND I can power it with the sun :-)

Reactions: Sherwood and britz

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I was thinking of this vid in the backcountry yesterday. We cleared a 1/2 mi of blowdown on a blocked trail. I tracked 35 trees, average 12-15"dia. fir was about 80 cuts, just to clear a path (I didn't count bucking cuts). Given the size of the trees, that'd take 2, maybe 3 batteries, not bad at all. And early season, there's a lot more cutting. Are there chain options, like an aggressive chain?
If I didn't live at elevation, have a good amount of larger dia. cutting on trails , I'd make my Stihls backups and throw this in the rig.

Thanks for posting the vid.

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I was thinking of this vid in the backcountry yesterday. We cleared a 1/2 mi of blowdown on a blocked trail. I tracked 35 trees, average 12-15"dia. fir was about 80 cuts, just to clear a path (I didn't count bucking cuts). Given the size of the trees, that'd take 2, maybe 3 batteries, not bad at all. And early season, there's a lot more cutting. Are there chain options, like an aggressive chain?
If I didn't live at elevation, have a good amount of larger dia. cutting on trails , I'd make my Stihls backups and throw this in the rig.

Thanks for posting the vid.
I carry 3 batteries and two chargers, so I can cut indefinitely.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

That's pretty slick.. I've taken my gas saw to Colorado a couple of times but getting it started and keeping it running at 11,000' is a chore for this novice.

I do have an electric pole saw (corded) that I use for trimming our trees at home, and like it.

Reactions: Kelly

BPCLFD

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
it has been 2 yrs do you still like the dewalt for overlanding also what kinda solar charging system do you use Thanks

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

I have used mine quite a bit and its holding up great. I have a lot of other Dewalt 60v tools and the power is amazing.

BPCLFD

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
awesome definitely going to add this to my gear before next trip thanks

Last edited:

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I’m going to be “that guy” and critique the video posted. Anytime you pick up a chainsaw, electric or gas you should have chaps, gloves and eye-pro.

The new gen of battery powered saws is straight up awesome and I’m excited to try some in the field. Good to hear these are holding up.

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
I have been looking into an electric battery powered chainsaw for a while, I still haven't pulled the trigger though. I am leaning toward the Kobalt 80 volt unit, as it looks a bit more compact in the main body, has 80 vs 60 volts, and I really need to upgrade my weedeater- and there is a Kobalt 80 volt weedeater as well which Dewalt doesn't offer. Any thoughts? Pros and Cons?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/kobalt-80-volt-lithium-ion-18-in-brushless-cordless-electric-chainsaw-battery-not-included/1000430175?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-sol-_-google-_-pla-_-239-_-soselecchainsawsandtrimmers-_-1000430175-_-0&kpid&k_clickID=go_1793258876_73056829801_346853044754_aud-449333924337:pla-696070075820_c_1016140&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtr_mBRDeARIsALfBZA5KHyY7n5bKYxuMRoJ2M_nRVMACOOtcpwhfEcyV5_ak6JTcBryv7AwaApeWEALw_wcB

OutsideSeth

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1SLA
This is higher voltage than my 40V Ryobi 14" chainsaw which I got to share a battery with my matching push mower. Has had plenty of power for yard work and campsite duty. I suspect this will work well for you. For occasional use I am enjoying not having to take care of a 2-stroke and keep fuel stored.