Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx Review

• HTML tutorial

TheSkiingJeep

Rank 0

Contributor II

The review is semi-specific to the WK2, as both include details that are specific to the WK2, but also generic details. I figured I'd link both winter and summer reviews, maybe they'll help someone. :)

I just released the summer review.

You may find it here: Summer Review

If you're interested in the winter review from December

You may find it here: Winter Review

Last edited:

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I was thinking to go for these at my next tire change. I spend a lot more time on road than off so seems a better compromise than the mud terrains are have been running. Also heard good reports on them. Unfortunately they are no longer available in Europe [emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Neither of the links work. Link says "Hmmm, we can't reach this page".. As a side, I JUST ordered a set of the ST MAXX for my '16 Tundra with a set of new wheels.. I can't wait..

TheSkiingJeep

Rank 0

Contributor II

Neither of the links work. Link says "Hmmm, we can't reach this page".. As a side, I JUST ordered a set of the ST MAXX for my '16 Tundra with a set of new wheels.. I can't wait..
My bad, I edited the wrong line of text without paying enough attention.

Links should now work. I'm definitely a fan of the tires.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Nice write up and comparisons.. I wish I could give you credit in helping me make my decision but I didn't see your post until after I ordered..lol.. sorry..

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

I have worn a set of Cooper ST Maxx out in 30,000 miles. I'm not sure if this is good or bad for them but I loved the way the preformed on my Defender 110. I had issues with my suspension that caused the inside half of the tyre to wear heavier that the outside half, this is despite rotating the wheels around my vehicle. With a new chassis, suspension and steering sorted I'd like to fit them again. However, as Tim mentioned above, I can't find another set in the UK.

Reactions: Scout

TheSkiingJeep

Rank 0

Contributor II

I have worn a set of Cooper ST Maxx out in 30,000 miles. I'm not sure if this is good or bad for them but I loved the way the preformed on my Defender 110. I had issues with my suspension that caused the inside half of the tyre to wear heavier that the outside half, this is despite rotating the wheels around my vehicle. With a new chassis, suspension and steering sorted I'd like to fit them again. However, as Tim mentioned above, I can't find another set in the UK.
I'm not sure what's up with them outside of the US, but they are definitely an incredible tire with the only real downside being the tread life imo(the extra noise doesn't really bother me). I think 30,000 miles is pretty accurate, but I haven't had them on long enough to really get an accurate measure for what to expect.

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

I didn't really notice the road noise from them, they where significantly quitter than the Goodyear G90's that were on my Defender when I got it, plus it's a Defender most of the noise is on the inside. The less worn part of the tyre still has about 6mm of tread depth left but the more worn part is down to 2mm. As I do far more on road mileage than off road I am likely to go for a set of the KO2 as I know I can get these. Oh I forgot to say not a single puncture in the 30k/4 years, good strong tyres.

LockedUp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Member #

I highly recommend Cooper ST Maxx's! I have a set of LT255/80R17 with about 10K on them. I run them on a GX470 that weighs in at about 5k lbs loaded for a weekend.

On the highway, they are quiet, ride well, they balanced easily and track really well. They have better then stock wet traction and they are also wearing very well. I'm fully expecting to get at least 50k out of them of mixed highway/trail use.

On the trail they have been even better. I was a bit concerned that the side walls of the E rated tires wouldn't flex as would like given my moderate weight. After having them they are perfect. They flatten out just enough at about 25 psi to be great running dirt/fire roads and really take out the bumps without heating up. They've been through lots of miles of sharp/jagged rock without any issues (White Rim, Big Bend and various other NV/Utah trails). The big lugs grip really well and do a decent job not picking up rocks. I ran a really sandy trail in Utah (Barracks Road) and they were exceptional in the deep/lose sand.

My last pitch is to at consider a tall skinny tire for your overland rig. I did a lot of reading on the pros and cons and decided to pull the trigger (just search tall/skinny tires and all the forums have tons of info for and against). I went from a stock tire (29"x10.5") to what is essentially a 33"x10" vs the more common 33"x12.5". I picked up several inches of ground clearance, I don't rub anywhere with a 2.5-3" lift (no spacers) AND gained a full 1 MPG (went from averaging 15.5 MPG with stock height and tires to 16.5 MPG with lift and 33"s. Apparently 33"s are a more economical fit with the stock gearing (3.73). Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting to lose 2-3 MPG and instead I gained! In the overlanding world, range is a big factor and at least with this specific vehicle/tire setup I added nearly 75 miles of range when compared to going with other's MPG experiences going with 33x12.5s. May not be the best fit for everyone, but definitely worth considering depending on your vehicle and your driving style.

Reactions: Kermitt Gribble