San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
So Overland Expo West 2017 is roughly 5 1/2 months away(May 12, 2017 to May 14, 2017). I have already got my tickets. I am seeing who from Texas is going and who would like to meet up and convoy there with the possibility of site seeing and hitting some trails either on the way or on the way back or both. As of right now I plan on May 10, 2017 stopping somewhere to camp for the night and the continuing on into Flagstaff, AZ for the Expo. I am camping onsite at the Expo. Then Leaving Monday May 15, 2017 and returning home. The route there and back has not been planned yet. I am planning on stopping in Phoenix, AZ on the way there or back depending on route planning. So if your interested and have ideas for route or place to see or trails. Post it here and lets see what we can come up with. Hopefully we make this a great trip.

Dominic OB0158

US West Region Member Rep
Founder 500
Benefactor
Launch Member

Member II

Perris Ca
First Name
Dominic
Last Name
Moschetti
Member #

Looking forward to Overland Expo 2017 - I have two rigs coming from southern California from our club... - CaliforniaOff-RoadClub.com. This picture was taken at 11pm Nov. 14 the night of the supermoon.

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Nice Picture. Me and a couple of mine friends are going. But hope to get a group of us from Texas together and Convoy up.

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I understand I have a friend shes a teach and its hard for her to do things

Reactions: Lenny

Lenny

Rank 0

Contributor II

Texas
I might can work something out. My principal is pretty cool, so maybe...
On you on the Texas Overland facebook page?

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Cool I'll probably post something about the Expo here in a few days and see if anyone is going

pixelsailor

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boerne, TX
Member #

These are some of the routes I've been considering:

SA to Flagstaff
To OEW 1 (Highlights: Roswell, NM; Valley of Fires Rec Area; Very Large Array Observatory)
Hwy 285, Carlsbad, NM to Roswell
Hwy 380 Roswell, through Carrizozo and the Valley of Fires, to I-25 up to Socorro
Hwy 60 W from Socorro, past the Very Large Array, to Springerville, AZ
Hwy 191 to Hwy 180 (St. John's) to I-40 (Holbrook)
I-40 to Flagstaff

To OEW 2 (Highlights: Coronado Trail - considered a "classic" scenic byway)
I-10 to Lordsburg, NM
Hwy 70 to Duncan, AZ
Hwy 75 to Three Way
Hwy 191 (Coronado Trail) to Springerville, then to Flagstaff via I-140 as before

Flagstaff to SA
From OEW 1 (Highlights: Gila NF and Gila Cliff Dwellings)
I-40 to Holbrook, AZ
Hwy 180 to Hwy 191 to Springerville
Enter Gila NF via Hwy 60 and Apache Creek or continue south to Alpine and take Hwy 180 to Luna
Once GNF there are several gravel and dirt roads accessible from Hwy 180 and Hwy 12 that cross the Tularosa Mts and eventually connect to NM 59, which also intersects a Forest Road that leads to NM 35. From there you can turn back north to see cliff dwellings or continue south and out of the park

A map of Gila NF is available here. Lists a lot of roads that you don't see in Google Maps. There's a lot of options for exploring, beyond what I mentioned.

Time will be a factor for me. San Antonio to Flagstaff is about 15 hours so while it's doable in a day, spreading it across 2 would be preferred. Traveling through Gila NF is possibly the biggest unknown. Not sure how long it takes to cross and you can always make the time spent there longer with the more exploring you do.

Ideally, I think I'd like to leave early Wednesday, from SA, and arrive in Flagstaff Thursday afternoon. 3 days of expo and hit the road late Sunday. Be back at work again Wednesday or Thursday. I've even considered not staying for the entire thing but it seems like you lose access to a lot of good classes if you don't register for the full expo. Balancing family, work and time away will be key for me and play a large role in how much time I spend on this trip.

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I am down for either route going and coming back is good too. Timing I am good I am open on both sides. I was planning on staying for the hole event and leave early Monday morning. I talked to the event manager and was told we had to check in by 7pm Thursday.

Update: I kinda like route 1 a little better. My kid would love to see the Array.

Last edited:

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
So looking at the Details. Leave Wednesday morning get to Valley of Fires Recreation Area, Camp there (9hrs 45Min) from SA to there. Thursday morning, get up and stop at the Array and continue on to Flagstaff (6hrs 45min). Get to flagstaff around 5pm. Set up camp and relax until Friday morning. Then Leave Monday morning, and get on the road to Gila National Forest for the Night (5hrs 30min). Tuesday Morning Head out and get home.

buz1nonly

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brisbane, CA
Member #

It's a shame!!! I lived in Flagstaff for over 3 years and I didn't even know the overland expo was there. I use to work across the street from the expo and mountain bike in Fort tuthill. After leaving I learned about the overland expo....:(

Reactions: Travis Barker