Converting a dual axle 16' enclosed trailer to single?

• HTML tutorial

spazatac

Rank 0

Traveler I

Iowa
Hello everyone..

I cant seem to locate a used narrow track 7x16 enclosed trailer I want to convert into a mini toyhauler, so I'm considering modifying a existing trailer instead of custom ordering. Mainly because manufactures wont work with me when I want two 7000 # axles on 3500# springs, and I guess I cant blame them.
Featherlite will build me a single axle 7x16 cargo trailer for $12k, so I know they have considered the liability of such a large trailer on a single axle. Plus Ive found a couple single axle travel trailers for sale that are even longer.. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to convert to single axle instead of over rated duals. Because I don't want to bend one of the axles on a dual when traveling over a deep rut or over a rock that totally unloads one of the axles placing the entire load on one. Am I being rational here?

But I just wanted to run it by some experienced individuals.. If I purchase a single axle capable of what the dual's did, for example one 7000# to replace two 3500# axles I should be ok?

Thanks!

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Maybe I'm being stupid, but isn't it better to have load spread over 4 tires instead of 2?.. If the axle gives away then at least there is another.. and if a tire gives way there are still 3 more.. intead of 1..

Reactions: spazatac

spazatac

Rank 0

Traveler I

Iowa
Maybe I'm being stupid, but isn't it better to have load spread over 4 tires instead of 2?.. If the axle gives away then at least there is another.. and if a tire gives way there are still 3 more.. intead of 1..
It would be better "to have load spread over 4 tires instead of 2" But axles bend as soon as you place the entire load on a axle designed for half.