QuinnD

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Orlando, Florida, United States
First Name
Quinn
Last Name
DuBre
Hello, I posted here about 6 months ago about starting to mod my 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ for overlanding, however, there have been persistent engine issues. Currently, the most troubling one is a consistent but random misfire on cylinders 1 and 3. Battery connection has been checked and fixed, spark plugs have been replaced, ignition coil replaced, and compression test has been performed, all good there. A potentially unrelated thing: radiator has been flushed, new coolant was added. I've read across the internet that it could be the IAC or O2 sensor which I am unsure of how to check those things. The odd thing is is that it doesn't throw codes very often when the check engine light goes off, even when the check engine light is blinking. Not sure where to go from here, slowly going insane lol.
Edit: These misfiring issues also cause my heat gauge to go out, only happens with these misfires and usually starts working mid-drive.
Edit 2: I do not have a distributer cap I have an electronic ignition

Last edited:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I assume when you replaced the spark plugs you made sure the gap was appropriate for your particular engine?

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Could be somewhere in the electronics. I had the exact same issue with a 2000 Dakota truck (which is a totally different engine and platform) and it was a bad throttle position sensor which I replaced and then everything was good after that.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Read about a similar problem on another 2000 on cherokeeforums.com
They ended up replacing the distributer that the cam sensor sits on . Something about the wear in the gear causing excessive movement. ``
If that is the problem, you would need a scan tool synchronize the cam and crank sensors after replacement.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Cap, rotor, plugs. Remove and clean ground wires.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Try replacing the wiring from the distributor cap to the plugs. You may have done this already, and I guess the distributor may have come with new wiring in which case ignore this.

QuinnD

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Orlando, Florida, United States
First Name
Quinn
Last Name
DuBre
I haven’t looked into that yet, someone else mentioned checking the cap too, thanks!
I misread the posts and thought that you'd already replaced the cap, so yes - cap AND wiring.
Just discovered I don’t have a distributer cap, I have an electronic ignition (I’m still learning) so I guess it’s definitely electrical