Contentment

• HTML tutorial

whec716

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Does anyone else struggle with contentment - in regards to their gear. I've gone through vehicles - Tacoma - JKU - now a Subaru. I've gone through 2 RTT's, a trailer, 2 ground tents, etc etc et.

Does anyone else struggle with being content with what they have? If so, how did you deal with it?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

very content. Having spent 40 years building vehicles now I just keep it stock. I'm done with one mod leading to needing another mod. The factory today builds pretty capable, reliable 4x4s. I'd only do mods to improve gas mileage, range or comfort. I got rid of the 33s last summer and went from 17mpg to 22mpg. That increased my range between gas stops bt 95 miles. That makes mr very content.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I try not to let the novelty of the "latest and greatest" influence me if I can help it. I stick to the older tech myself because I like it. Cast iron pans, gas fired Coleman stoves and lanterns, and a ground tent.

We do have more modern sleeping pads and bags though.

It suits our needs and fits our budget.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i was working overseas in my 20s and saw a lot of people living in shanties with dirt floors and no electricity and getting drinking water from a muddy ditch...after seeing that, i was not only "content" with what i had...but extremely grateful!

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
i was working overseas in my 20s and saw a lot of people living in shanties with dirt floors and no electricity and getting drinking water from a muddy ditch...after seeing that, i was not only "content" with what i had...but extremely grateful!
Perspective is key to contentment.

I have spent a good bit of time in colonias in Mexico. One of the more memorable "structures" I saw was a shanty (even that is being generous) made of bread wrappers stapled to scrap wood. By bread wrappers I mean the plastic bags your loaf of Wonder bread comes in. And that was someone's home.

By and large, if you were born in the USA you already won the lottery.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

My solution is to get out! Crap does not the make the experience better, getting out there does. There is a "fashion" being pushed in overlanding and marketing is at the head of the line. I know as I worked with marketing for years. I don't own a RTT, some of my stuff is 30 years old, I look at some of these cook sets and think they are wasting space with all these cubbies. If that floats your boat, cool. I camp as well as anybody I know and do more than most. I do ask myself while looking at the new widget where can I go with the money this cost.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I agree with MMc the best thing to do is get out and enjoy the world or at least your part of it. I see a lot of people waiting for the "right" or "trendy" things to show up so they'll fit in with their friends before they leave the driveway.

I'm still using a used Coleman stove I bought in the late 60's to cook on and some gas lanterns I bought at the same time. I have some cast iron pans and dutch ovens that are at least 75 years old and they work fine.

I do have a new (10 yrs old) coffee pot and a propane stove I'm trying to see if I like it. I also have a new 12v/120v fridge/freezer and it's awesome.

I'm happy with my old school Willys and while I've improved a lot of stuff in it I don't see the need for a new vehicle. Same with my old trailer I built for it to camp and hunt with, it is getting new paint though. ;))

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Does anyone else struggle with contentment - in regards to their gear. I've gone through vehicles - Tacoma - JKU - now a Subaru. I've gone through 2 RTT's, a trailer, 2 ground tents, etc etc et.

Does anyone else struggle with being content with what they have? If so, how did you deal with it?
:-) go broke ! Seriously !

Reactions: grubworm

Sean's #1 Pop

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Phelan, CA, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6UEP
The recipe for better camping/back roading?

I thought it was a better tent....Nope
Maybe a better vehicle...Nope
Maybe a bigger group of friends...Strike!!!
Had to be the gear - Yeah that's right - get better gear -- invested $$$ in a pop-up trailer to make camping easier, you know...ready to go, just hook up and split, onboard water, refrigerator, off the ground -- WRONG!!!!! Actually went less and learned that "hook-ups" are chains that tie you to uninteresting places.

Finally realized I had made camping a hassle. When I could go I added so much crap to my load out that I had limited accessibility to where I wanted to be. To steal a phrase from another forum -- "Less Gear=More Go" - definitely worked for me. Left the pop-up at home, dug out the Ozark Trail 3 man tent and coleman stove, threw them in the truck with the cooler. Now we wake up to elk munching grass 50 feet away, milky way views that would make an astronaut stare in wonder and a better group of people to hang out with than I've ever known in my 1/2 century.

Contentment is a likely reflection of environment, and we decide our environment.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
The recipe for better camping/back roading?

I thought it was a better tent....Nope
Maybe a better vehicle...Nope
Maybe a bigger group of friends...Strike!!!
Had to be the gear - Yeah that's right - get better gear -- invested $$$ in a pop-up trailer to make camping easier, you know...ready to go, just hook up and split, onboard water, refrigerator, off the ground -- WRONG!!!!! Actually went less and learned that "hook-ups" are chains that tie you to uninteresting places.

Finally realized I had made camping a hassle. When I could go I added so much crap to my load out that I had limited accessibility to where I wanted to be. To steal a phrase from another forum -- "Less Gear=More Go" - definitely worked for me. Left the pop-up at home, dug out the Ozark Trail 3 man tent and coleman stove, threw them in the truck with the cooler. Now we wake up to elk munching grass 50 feet away, milky way views that would make an astronaut stare in wonder and a better group of people to hang out with than I've ever known in my 1/2 century.

Contentment is a likely reflection of environment, and we decide our environment.
I agree, "oh give me land, lots of land, under starry sky's above, don't fence me in" !
Easy to forget this is the goal.

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

This isn't what makes me content. Someone always has better "stuff". ALWAYS.

This is my contentment:

and this:

and these:

Water color in last photo hasn't been adjusted/enhanced. No one there, just the two of us.

Lots of folks have better stuff than us. But another $15k in the latest and coolest isn't going to change anything in those last 4 photos.

Last edited: