Launch Member

Traveler III

Monroeville, PA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Russell
Member #

I live in Pennsylvania and am a member of an Overland group here. I am currently trying to figure out the feasibility of going up to Canada for an overlanding trip prob early next summer or late spring. I am currently coming up with a potential plan for the trip so that I may be able to propose the idea and have some locations of camps, places to go, necessary equipment, etc. ready to propose to our next meeting.

What I am asking for are suggestions of where to go. We are a group mainly of Jeeps so we can go well off the beaten path. Also are there any limitations on Americans camping in Canada.

I have already done some research on what we can't bring... i.e. No self protection weapons....etc.

Thanks for any help

Migu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toronto, Canada
Member #

That's awesome! Do you have any goals in mind of which parts of Ontario to go to? The province is ridiculously huge (example: Pennsylvania is 120,000km2 while Ontario is 1.075million km2) so there are a lot of options and would be good to know if you have anything in mind.
As well a few more questions to help everyone provide advice:
- how long will the group be here
- how remote do you want to get
- are you looking for remote wild campsites or provincial parks/private campgrounds

Things to keep in mind:
- there are Not many trails/crown land near the Greater Toronto Area or southwest of it (Niagara/Hamilton)
- if you want to hook up with a huge amount of Jeep crew on any given weekend, check out OF4WD group and Ray's Place in Minden, ON, dozens there every weekend doing trail runs of various complexity. Ontario is Jeep-heavy and all the Jeep clubs have Facebook groups where they post trail runs too
- if want remote, look for Crown land. It's federal land with few restrictions on camping. Mostly north of Sudbury or east of Kawarthas (if sticking to the south)
- check out Backroads Mapbook for detailed trails
- check out graveltravel.ca for awesome GPS tracks
- there is no differentiation in pricing for US vs Canadian in provincial parks, assuming you aren't trying to claim one of the discounts. All the prices listed here:
https://www.ontarioparks.com/fees/camping/2018
- provincial parks are very glamping luxury, they have full washrooms, showers, laundry, RV dumps, etc. Some even have community theatres and events. Note they are usually very booked up in the summer months, but you can check and make reservations on the website above, before you head out
- Trailfest is a huge Jeep event, coming up Aug 3-5:
http://www.of4wd.com/event/trailfest-2018/?

I can go on, there's really no shortage of stuff so long as you're willing to drive the distance (key word is distance haha)

Hope this helps and a pre-welcome to Ontario!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

ASRussell

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Monroeville, PA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Russell
Member #

Wow that's a lot to take in....
- I am going to be proposing between a week to maybe even as long as 10 days.....
-Remote and scenic....most of us have winches etc just incase recovery is necessary
-My goal is to be able to check out the back country of Canada (Ontario). We are trying not to go
glamping.
I will definitely check out the books and sites that you listed. Looks like some good resources.
A few members of my group already know that I have started a preliminary planning phase of this epic trip.
I'm mainly looking for good camp locations

Migu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toronto, Canada
Member #

With 10 days you definitely have time to head north and I would recommend doing so (or head north east and into Quebec)

Reach out to graveltravel and get their tracks, they'll have suggested camp sites listed. Keep in mind the group size, if you're going with 5+ trucks you will likely need to figure out very large spots (this one's tough just based on GPS tracks, may need to look at satellite images). When in the remoteness, should be able to find clearings. But closer to the south will need to consider private sites or getting multiple sites perhaps

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reactions: ASRussell

Blacksmith Scott

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

If you are worried about self protection I would recommend watching this video...
http://www.bearconflict.org/education-and-training/living-in-bear-country/
Go to Canadian Tire ( a huge hardware chain) and buy some bear spray. You will not have issues with armed people in Ontario...especially on trails and in a group. If you come in the fall you might meet turkey hunters with guns...but they try not to shoot people!
Seriously though, keep your trail clean and the bears will stay away.
And I live about half way between Detroit and Buffalo, north of Lake Erie. Stay away from here as you may die from boredom!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: ASRussell

Joseph Seymour

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Export, PA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Seymour
Member #

Keep us posted on your plans. I might want your notes for a 2020 run. Also I’m right down 22 from you. If the Jeep club is open to new members, let me know. 2013 JKU Rubicon.

ASRussell

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Monroeville, PA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Russell
Member #

Keep us posted on your plans. I might want your notes for a 2020 run. Also I’m right down 22 from you. If the Jeep club is open to new members, let me know. 2013 JKU Rubicon.
Look us up on Facebook and youtube.... Destination Adventure Overland