Launch Member

Contributor III

X
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pressley
Member #

Hi I am getting ready to take my first multiple day overlanding trip this fall and could possibly see some rain what containers do you recommend for gear I’m the bed of my pickup?

Quper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Green River, WY, USA
First Name
Quinton
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

Plano makes some good boxs for not to much. MTI I think, ammo box's are another good option. Running in the desert and in the mtn's they have worked great for me.

Reactions: Highplainsdrifter

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Check out Right Line Gear. I bought the duffel bag last year. It kept my gear dry in the rain and 1” of snow. They also make duffel bags.

Pro: packable, rain and snow proof.

Con: Price. The side pocket zipper sucks (still works). Two Velcro square pieces came off and needs to be re-glued. 92CE8595-971E-4BDF-A20F-4A8E84B04B8D.jpegFAF2445D-1347-4D41-9D92-F457CCF4897E.png

Attachments

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

There are a coupe threads on this subject here. I own Alu-box, Plano, a generic Harbor Freight roller and two Frontrunner Wolf Packs.

Alu-box - Expensive but bomb proof.
Plano Sportman - Gets used the most. 2 month trip on my roof rack in rain, dust, forest fire smoke and snow. Dry and clean.
Harbor Freight roller - Eh. No tie down points. Better as a flight carry on.
Wolf Packs. Best of the bunch but not terribly big. Seals perfect, stackable and has taller tops that increase volume.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

I also use the Plano Sportsman trunks. They're relatively cheap and work well. But, and there's always a but, they are made out of cheap plastic so you may have an issue with off-gassing like I did with the last two I purchased just a few weeks ago. Horrible chemical smell that took multiple cleanings and days in the hot sun to minimize.

Highplainsdrifter

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

X
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pressley
Member #

I also use the Plano Sportsman trunks. They're relatively cheap and work well. But, and there's always a but, they are made out of cheap plastic so you may have an issue with off-gassing like I did with the last two I purchased just a few weeks ago. Horrible chemical smell that took multiple cleanings and days in the hot sun to minimize.
I have seen those they seem good for the price are they water proof?

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

I have seen those they seem good for the price are they water proof?
They don't have a rubber seal so they're not going to be completely waterproof. The lids do overlap the body though so they could be left outside with little worry. They also have tie down points and holes for adding a lock.

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I have both Rubbermaid ActionPackers and Plano Sportsman trunks. Not sure which I like better. The Sportsman trunks are really inexpensive though so that is what I recommend you get. Over time you may develop more specialized packing/storage requirements and you can upgrade later to something more specific.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I like the Rubbermaid Action packers, I would call them very water resistant as opposed to waterproof as there is no seal, but the lid goes down over the edge of the body. Same for dust. Lockable and the lock holes are in the lid locking handles can be used as a tiedown. What I don't like is the curved corners make packing square items harder than it should be and at 200# I can't sit on them or they slowly collapse.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

A lot of people like Plano boxes with good reason as they are about the best at that price point. If you want to get better water resistance/sealing another group to look at are the various tool case systems at Home Depot (Dewalt, Rigid) or Lowes (Craftsman Versastack), etc. They are also good value for the money, come in various sizes, and they interlock/stack.

Highplainsdrifter

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

X
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pressley
Member #

Thanks for all of the info I was looking at Plano and think I might go with them, Hoping one day I can get all pelican stuff I will just have to refinance the house lol

Reactions: USStrongman

MarcoM

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Francisco, California, USA
First Name
Marco
Last Name
Maga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
TBD
Plano Sportman 108 and 68 quart storage trunks. Best bang for the buck that I've found, sturdy, interior is waterdust resistant. One can also improve the water and dust resistancy by adding a foam/rubber window gasket like the ones used on house windows.

The 108 quarts were only $27 bucks last week but are now up to $34 (still a good deal).
Use one of the shopping apps like Amazon price tracker, Amazon price history charts, price watches, and price drop alerts. to see Amazon product price fluctuation or the 'Honey' plug in to check and set alerts on prices.

Last edited:

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I have slowly been shifting to Pelican and Nanuk cases, keeping an eye on local Craigslist. I got a 1650 case and loaded it up and went camping, the damn thing was so heavy almost got a hernia every time I lifted it back into the back of the Rover. If you go the hard case route stick to 1600 size and smaller, unless you go with clothes and sleeping bags in the bigger cases.

R Rudder

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Santa Barbara, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Rudd
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NG6S
I have slowly been shifting to Pelican and Nanuk cases, keeping an eye on local Craigslist. I got a 1650 case and loaded it up and went camping, the damn thing was so heavy almost got a hernia every time I lifted it back into the back of the Rover. If you go the hard case route stick to 1600 size and smaller, unless you go with clothes and sleeping bags in the bigger cases.
Coming soon from Pelican....

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Thanks for all of the info I was looking at Plano and think I might go with them, Hoping one day I can get all pelican stuff I will just have to refinance the house lol
If you get the 68 qt Plano. Just add some weather stripping to the lid. It will keep the dust and water out. I did this on my trunks and it worked great. Drove in the hard rain for 2 hours and my gear was bone dry.
I didn’t add glue, I just used the self adhesive stripping and it’s still hasn’t come off in two years. Leave a little gap in between the ends of the weather stripping so it doesn’t affect the air pressure inside the trunk.
Waterproofing the Plano Sportsman box

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Pelican, SKB and Seahorse are the most bullet proof containers on the market. All are pricey. I just saw another brand also very pricey.
I use Action packer but have a shell.

skijunkie

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Texas, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
K
Member #

We switched from HomeDepot containers with yellow tops to the Frontrunner wolf pack boxes. They are smaller so you need more of them, but they end up being lighter and easier to more around.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

We switched from HomeDepot containers with yellow tops to the Frontrunner wolf pack boxes. They are smaller so you need more of them, but they end up being lighter and easier to more around.
I agree with skijunkie. I have found it easier to carry more small boxes that can be moved and are easy to find stuff in them. These not being that heavy like a fully loaded Plano. I use the Front Runner cub and wolf packs. These never get to heavy, are stackable, are square with straight sides so they pack well in the rig and are quick to look through the contents.