Considering an LX470

• HTML tutorial

Should Lifestyle Overland build an LX470 Overland Rig?

• Yes

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

We've been looking at selling our GMC Sierra and going "full-overland" with our fleet (4Runner and FJ45).
Anyone out there have any input on the LX470 platform? This would be a totally mild build consisting of quality tires, front bumper w/winch, sliders, and a few other items so I think I would be fine with the factory adjustable suspension.

Here's an example of what we're looking at:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Lexus-LX-470-Phoenix-d567_L1064#listing=178007122

2005_lexus_lx_470-pic-8538781388160586119-1024x768.jpeg

Thoughts?

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Specifically Lexus? Or either Landcruiser 100 or LX470 is OK?

Just curious if you're specifically after the suspension that is unique to the LX...

But, I have a 100 series and it's, bar none, the most comfortable car I've driven. Seats are very subjective but it works so well for me.
I think the LX must be that much better.
The 4.7 is now known as the "Million Mile" engine after that one Tundra owner drove his 1,ooo,ooo miles then sold it to the Toyota Tech Center.

My vote is, of course, a big 'what the hell'!

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I have a sequoia and it’s basicly the same drivetrain platform but with a little more room it has been awesome for just back Road exploring and light trail work . I was actually looking at the lx before but the sequoia had more room for the 4 of us .

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

The LX is mostly the same as the Toyota Land Cruiser. Just a little softer suspension and softer leather on the seats! Slee off-road, has some great products to take a LX and make it even better for off -road exploring! Benz.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Have you checked out the 100 series section on ih8mud? Years of info and build threads there on the 100 series.... I'm biased but the LX is one of the finest 4x4's platforms ever made...
I was on there a few months ago but I'll head back that way again for a refresher. Thanks!

Specifically Lexus? Or either Landcruiser 100 or LX470 is OK?

Just curious if you're specifically after the suspension that is unique to the LX...

But, I have a 100 series and it's, bar none, the most comfortable car I've driven. Seats are very subjective but it works so well for me.
I think the LX must be that much better.
The 4.7 is now known as the "Million Mile" engine after that one Tundra owner drove his 1,ooo,ooo miles then sold it to the Toyota Tech Center.

My vote is, of course, a big 'what the hell'!
I'm leaning towards the LX because they seem to be a bit more availible and a little less expensive than the 100 series in the Phoenix area. The adjustable suspension is a novelty to me, but will suite mild off road travel just fine... until I upgrade.

In a couple years we plan to sell the wifes 4th gen 4Runner and get one of these or a 100 series. We want something a little bigger with a 3rd row for our 3 kids, and keep it in the Toyota family.
Nice!

I have a sequoia and it’s basicly the same drivetrain platform but with a little more room it has been awesome for just back Road exploring and light trail work . I was actually looking at the lx before but the sequoia had more room for the 4 of us .
I've looked at those a little bit as well. I guess the styling and larger frame isn't what I personally like; but I'm not opposed to it. How is the modification selection out there? I hear a lot of Tundra parts are interchangeable.

The LX is mostly the same as the Toyota Land Cruiser. Just a little softer suspension and softer leather on the seats! Slee off-road, has some great products to take a LX and make it even better for off -road exploring! Benz.
Thanks! I'll probably build my own bumper and sliders (I have access to cool toys at Turtleback Trailers) but I'll check them out!

BackcountryNomads

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bellingham, WA
Member #

You got my vote! You guys should definitely join the 100 club!

I am unfamiliar with the AHC suspension, but I have heard that it is nice. If you don't like it, I believe it is pretty easy to dump it and throw on a OME, or other decent suspension setup on it.

Don't expect good gas mileage, but you can feel the quality of the build compared to other rigs.

The only major maintenance item to look out for is that the timing belt has been changed at roughly 90k mile increments.

Definitely check out ih8mud, tons of info.

Do it!

Greg