Considering adding boards under my RTT's mattress...

• HTML tutorial

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
I have an older Smittybilt Overlander tent mounted up on my truck that I purchased used. It's in moderately good shape with just a few small issues. One of these issues is the aluminum skin on the platform of my RTT is a little beat up and makes an annoying hollow noise as it's compressed under my weight when I move. I'm thinking about getting some kind of wood sheet, cut to shape to fit both halves of the floor, and secure that down as some sort of additional decking. Other than the added weight, are there any other reasons I'm not seeing that might make this a bad idea? Thanks guys!

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
A mattress that I'm researching has a layer of "hard" foam on the base. Although not for a RTT, the concept may have some merit being much lighter than wood.

Reactions: GLOCKer

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
We added a 3/4 " Dow insulation blue board under my Smittybilt mattress to control condensation and insulate against cold/heat. Worked like a charm and cost about $12. It's been under the mattress for 4 years now. It should take care of your problem as well.

• Love
Reactions: Road and GLOCKer