Coms suggestions

• HTML tutorial

Fifty

Rank I

Traveler I

Norcal
I was just over on the coms forums finding out how dumb I am.... But one thing I kept getting hints at was: Find out what the groups your running with are using, and get that.

What version of coms are people using, what models and most important, who are they getting it through. Id be happy to go visit a brick and mortar shop to sort out the correct equipment for a crew cab mid size pick up.

If I can, any antennae needed will be mounted to an aluminum bed rack....

BTW, Im in east bay area.

Chris Arnesen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KU7PDX
Ham radio, GMRS/FRS, CB, cellular, satellite phone, smoke signals?

Many options to choose from, but it's very important to figure out who you will be communicating with and what they are using.

Personally, I got my amateur radio license a number of years ago and my GMRS license 5 years ago and CB doesn't require a license - so these are a one-time installation cost. I carry my cell phone and I have an on-call cell phone for work on a separate provider, so that gives me two more options.

Sent from my SM-P550 using OB Talk mobile app

Fifty

Rank I

Traveler I

Norcal
Yea. That’s why I’m trying to find out what the Bay Area based or NorCal based groups are using.

There are two groups in waiting to hear back from. I believe it’s cb as the organizers have more involved equipment...

WheelMe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aptos, California
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Hung
Member #

The first group that I wheeled with uses CBs, so that's what I started with - I didn't get anything fancy, just a Midland handheld, with a Firestik antenna attached to my front steel bumper; this has worked very well.

There are however other groups that I'm planning to wheel with, and these folks push for Hams as the preferred comm. of choice; I obtained a Technician license (KM6DPW), and initially bought a Baofeng UV5R. A few months later I purchased an ICOM mobile unit with a rooftop antenna.

Now I have both, and love the flexibility :-)

Bill S

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Castro Valley, CA
Member #

I have all 3 (HAM, GMRS, CB) as well as a satellite device. I am also in the East Bay (Castro Valley) and would be happy to meet you and show you what I have. I can help you develop an integrated comms plan that will work for you.

Bill

N6SGT

Fifty

Rank I

Traveler I

Norcal
That would be awesome. I would like to see if I can get two of my friends along as well. That way it’s not just wasted on me.

Bill S

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Castro Valley, CA
Member #

That would be awesome. I would like to see if I can get two of my friends along as well. That way it’s not just wasted on me.
That works for me. I’m retired so my schedule is pretty flexible. PM me for my cell number to coordinate.

Bill
N6SGT

sonicstage

Rank II

Advocate I

The first group that I wheeled with uses CBs, so that's what I started with - I didn't get anything fancy, just a Midland handheld, with a Firestik antenna attached to my front steel bumper; this has worked very well.

There are however other groups that I'm planning to wheel with, and these folks push for Hams as the preferred comm. of choice; I obtained a Technician license (KM6DPW), and initially bought a Baofeng UV5R. A few months later I purchased an ICOM mobile unit with a rooftop antenna.

Now I have both, and love the flexibility :-)
I do the same as well I have the uniden bearcat as well as the baofeng UV5R, I wheel with two different sets of friends overlanding and rock crawling. I love the flexibility as well and the firestick gives the CB great range I have it installed on my spare tire mount, have only used it a few times as I haven’t been overlanding as much Lately, the Baofeng is a rooftop magnetic antenna and that’s what I use the most. both are great and would definitely recommend to anyone looking for those types of comms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WheelMe and Fifty

Fifty

Rank I

Traveler I

Norcal
I havent forgotten about you bill. But the kidngot sick, and now we have it so we are in quarantine

WheelMe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aptos, California
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Hung
Member #

...the Baofeng is a rooftop magnetic antenna and that’s what I use the most.
The Baofeng and rooftop antenna is a great setup - I had to meet up with a friend for a weekend of trail-running at Bald Mountain a few years ago, and was able to chat (and rendez-vous) with him via a local repeater when I was still more than 20 miles away (he'd already arrived and had no cell signal) . Hams are awesome for off-the-grid stuff or long-distance communications, and especially in an emergency.

California is pretty well covered by the WIN System network of ham repeaters, which encompasses repeaters from 13 other states, as well as a number of other countries (Canada, Australia, etc.) - this means that if you can access any one repeater in the system, you can talk to anyone with access to any of the other repeaters. California hams make up the majority of the users on the WIN System, but out-of-staters frequent the airwaves, as well as internationals from Europe and down-under; lots of fun. From Santa Cruz, I mostly use the Santa Cruz-San Jose (442.900) repeater in the Santa Cruz mountains - I can access it from as far north as Hayward or so.

Here are a few links to the WIN System:

WIN System Repeater List (scroll down to see the complete list of repeaters)
WIN System Usage Guidelines