Compaction, Transfer and Cutting Waste

• HTML tutorial

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

I have read several articles on the forum about trash along routes, and campsites with permanent campsites with so much waste scattered around and what we can do to help pick the places up. I have even posted about how much I love my trasharoo and take the time to pick up at least 10 items that are not my own each time I go out to help the cleanliness of our world and leave it better than I found it.

BUT...this is what I want to discuss here...in YOUR EXPERIENCE...how do you, in your packing and planning cut down on the total amount of things you take (compaction), and the way you pack things (transfer) cut down on waste? Or is it a priority?

I know most of us don't have trailers to pull behind our vehicles for one reason or another so our space is limited in what we can take. So how do you compact what you carry? Do you leave all of your canned goods in the can or transfer to plastic bags and freeze? Your dry goods...do you take the time to transfer them to plastic washable containers for storage or do you take them in the original containers? Do you have containers to hold your food that are washable that you can wash and pack out of the woods? What kind do you use? Do you use plastic utensils or washable ones? If so, what do you take to wash your dishes and other items or maybe even clothing?

What kind of trashbags do you use and how do you use and pack them? How do you remove them from where you are to your home or trash cans/dumpsters? What about water? How do you carry? Nalgene bottles or regular water bottles?

I know there is really not much difference than throwing away something at home while doing all of the work, taking the time to transfer, prepare and move things around from trashable containers to washable containers...BUT if we are all educated and informed on different ways to not even take trash to the trails, then that would help everyone cut down on the total amount of trash that even makes it there.

A couple things I use and never leave the house without...

Love this thing. So easy to use and easy to dry out for next time. Great for washing dishes or even clothes.

Canisters to store everything from dry goods to soups etc. clear lids so you know what is in them. Washable with no mess.

What are your favorites for dinnerware, storage, transfer and packability so that we don't pack trash in, so we don't have to worry about packing it out?

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
When I'd go backpacking, my group would make a point to not create more pieces of trash than we had to, meaning anything with a tear-off top would stay attached rather than tearing it all the way off. Same way with canned goods, leaving the lid still attached. Less opportunities for things to get lost or blown around. We also made sure to compact our trash constantly and double/triple bag it so it wouldn't get loose on the trail. What we could burn, we'd burn. Otherwise we carried out whatever we brought in, as well as anything we found on the trail that shouldn't be there. It was difficult for us to repackage items, but now I try to utilize reusable containers as most of the meals I take are something I prepare in advance or buy in bulk.

Reactions: theBROFESSOR

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

I do love the already prepared meals where you just add water also. Saves a ton of pace and now they do most of the work for you when you are in a time crunch. Hot meals are the best.

https://www.packitgourmet.com/Dinner-c7.html

But when we do have time and space available there is nothing like cooking everything fresh in the outdoors. I need To spend more time prepping and preparing things so that they get transferred and organized into washable containers.

Reactions: Kent R

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

I repackage a lot of stuff and vacuum seal it. Canned goods like refried beans get repackaged into vac bags, packed in the fridge and then boiled in the bag which makes for less bulky trash and less water used for washing dishes. I usually fit all of a meals vac bags and other trash into a ziplock bag to keep the trasharoo from getting funky, everything paper gets burned in the campfire. A lot of my meals are leftovers from from previous dinners at home that get vac sealed and frozen until I go on a trip. This saves a lot of time cooking and cleaning, and the food is better than backpacker food. Doing this also saves a lot of fridge space.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Very good! Thank you for the reply! Great ideas. Leftovers are always awesome at my house. Your process of taking a little time to vacuum pack things to take later are great tips for everyone. Thank you again.

Reactions: 000

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

51743743.jpeg this is an item I will be bringing with me to Afghanistan. ill be living out of my truck while I'm there for the most part and will need a way to wash my clothes. this is the best product I've been able to find.