Calgary, AB
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6EVL
Most of the offroad events in my neck of the woods seem to default to CBs. They're cheap, easy to use and meet the need.

In my YJ I've got a Cobra 75WXST, in the Dodge I've got an old Cobra 29 something. In the garage, I've got a Cobra 29 LX LE that I'm trying to figure out how to fit in the Liberty. (I will probably end up putting a 75WXST in there....)

I've also used my Motorola FRS handhelds between vehicles. The nice thing about the handhelds is that they work well for communications between the driver and someone outside the vehicle. (Spotting, helping guide a vehicle backing up, or trying to get unstuck, etc.) These are also pretty cheap and Costco often sells them for a good price. One of the key things is to make sure you get waterproof ones, since they WILL eventually find a nice, muddy puddle. Don't pay any attention to the claims about amazing distance - you won't get anything close to the ranges they advertise.

jacks dad

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello gents. Being new to this i have been wondering what type of communication device to go with. I have FRS radios but I'm torn between a CB and Ham. Should I choose or just have all 3 types? I'm just beginning to gear up for my first extended venture this summer. I'll be in the Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia area somewhere, just haven't narrowed it down yet.

Any advise is appreciated.

Ty

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello gents. Being new to this i have been wondering what type of communication device to go with. I have FRS radios but I'm torn between a CB and Ham. Should I choose or just have all 3 types? I'm just beginning to gear up for my first extended venture this summer. I'll be in the Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia area somewhere, just haven't narrowed it down yet.

Any advise is appreciated.

Ty
For general communications I would go with ham radio. If you are wanting trail comms it's going to depends on what everyone else in your group is running though GMRS or ham would be better than CB, most groups still use CB.

Jaydub514

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rangsipat
Member #

Just got two Baofeng UV-5Rs programmed via CHIRP for a maiden FRS attempt this upcoming weekend! I think I did everything correct so far, radios communicate with one another, just need to check range.

Interested to see how they perform from vehicle to vehicle, also changed out the stock antenna for a Nagoya 810 short one. If this works out, will definitely be getting more into it!

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Just got two Baofeng UV-5Rs programmed via CHIRP for a maiden FRS attempt this upcoming weekend! I think I did everything correct so far, radios communicate with one another, just need to check range.

Interested to see how they perform from vehicle to vehicle, also changed out the stock antenna for a Nagoya 810 short one. If this works out, will definitely be getting more into it!
I bet you'll be pleased, those are great little SDRs. Don't expect it to last forever but it'll do the trick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jaydub514

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I have a Uniden Cb radio in my 4Runner and a couple of handheld FRS radios. I am looking into purchasing a Midland GMRS radio that can be mounted inside of a vehicle and it has an external antenna. I really like those UV-5R's my only concern is that they are not waterproof so that limits their capabilities. In the Southwest, a CB or FRS will get out far enough to talk to your group of trail riders.

Chris Arnesen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KU7PDX
So no license is needed to use this one?
Technically it's not legal to transmit on FRS frequencies on that radio, only amateur radio frequencies (which you would need a license for).

For vehicle-to-vehicle license free communications, I would recommend just picking up some basic FRS/GMRS radios (like these: http://amzn.com/B001UE6MIO) and sticking to the license free FRS frequencies. Legal and license free.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

For vehicle-to-vehicle license free communications, I would recommend just picking up some basic FRS/GMRS radios (like these: http://amzn.com/B001UE6MIO) and sticking to the license free FRS frequencies. Legal and license free.
I emphasized the key aspect of that recommendation. Just because you can buy a GMRS capable radio, it is still illegal to operate on those bands without appropriate licensing. And it is illegal to tune the aforementioned Baofeng radio to FRS or GMRS frequencies.

Reactions: Chris Arnesen

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

2M and CB, I prefer 2M 4W compared to 60W , plus the option of repeaters that can relay an emergency call hundreds of miles, the only reason I have the CB is for the folks that don't have 2M, the test isn't that hard

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Jaydub514

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rangsipat
Member #

Just wanted to circle back here - Baofeng UV-5R vehicle to vehicle worked great, and especially so once we got out to the Trona Pinnacles area which was wide open. Excited to dive in and get licensed, having communications helped on the trip tremendously!

Reactions: Graeman

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Having just finished a 40+ vehicle trail ride over 3 days, my experience there was that most people used CB for trail comms.
There were more than a few of us that used 2Meter for additional comms and that came in very handy. It's great to crank it up to 50W and reach across a valley, especially when half the group is pulling into the campsite after dark (thanks @TOMB1957 ).

There has been a lot mentioned here about using Baofeng for FRS comms, it's easy to set up, but it is illegal and easy to overpower the FRS with too much wattage
- 0.5W vs. 5.0W.​

If I had my choice and I was king, it would be a law that everyone should have at least a 2M radio with license, and happiness would reign over my kingdom.
OK, I'm not king and CB's are cheap, which is what makes them popular and useable. It's also one of the worst things it has going for it. People don't put the effort into properly powering the radio, it should have clean power directly from the battery for both POS and NEG leads. It should have a well-matched antenna that is properly grounded and tuned for the vehicle.

On our ride, there were varying degrees of clarity among the CB'ers. Some I could clearly hear from a good distance, some I could barely hear even if they were right behind me.

If you do go the CB route, spend the time, talk to a knowledgeable user (OTR truckdriver?) and get it set up right. You will likely be happy with it.

Then, you'll see someone use a HAM radio, and be able to clearly talk longer distances, and also go through repeaters to get really far away, then you won't be happy with your CB anymore.

I have both CB and HAM to accommodate as many as possible. I've given up on FRS. Antenna has low performance inside a car, and a host of other issues has talked me out of them entirely. Save those for family trips to Disneyland. For your rig, get a real radio(s).

Dan.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm a communication freak. There, that's out of the way! I'm planning on having a dual band Ham radio, a HF +6m Ham radio, and a CB in my rig. That's not just for trail coms though, I enjoy doing portable work and having the ability to do EMCOM if need be such as Winlink E-mail and digital modes like PSK31 and Olivia.

I worked some mobile/portable some during our state QSO party this year and really enjoyed that and I'm wanting to get a little more into it next year, doing a mobile station again if not a full on expedition station. With HF, you can get through in an emergency. You might not be able to reach someone local, but they will be able to relay information to those who need it to get you help and I just don't see a good reason to be without it.

I've posted information several places on this site about the Laurel VEC and their free Ham test sessions around the country. You still have to buy your book and study, which I suggest you do instead of just taking online tests since there is a LOT of information in the books that you need as a Ham such as understanding basics of propagation, building simple and effective antennas and understanding the basics of your equipment and the modes it is capable of. It really is an interesting hobby to be in and goes well with overlanding. Study for both your Tech and General, the extra privileges that come with the General license are well worth it. Also, get involved with a club, many of our rigs are well suited to be used for EMCOM and ARES/RACES applications and local clubs welcome the new hams. There's a lot more to the hobby than a bunch of old guys sitting around talking about the weather, even though that does happen too!

de KJ4TOZ

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
A good frs or gmrs should get out as good as a cb does. With an external antenna it should be even better.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Communications for the Beginner? I think i'm even more confused than before I started reading these threads. I would consider myself proper beginner. I've never used any form of Radio Communications other than the stuff I used when I was in the Navy. I have been considering CB for my Land Rover and I think I've found the one but it comes as a package. I'm now torn between the 2 aerials. The pack is from Thunderpole and the 2 options are a Thunderpole Orbiter (1.55m) with a range of 5-10 miles and the second is a Thunderpole Mini Orbiter (0.89m) with a range of 3-5 miles. obviously the second option is cheaper but has anyone got any recommendations on which I should opt for?

Incidentally the CB is a TTI 881 although I may be swayed by the Thunderpole T2000

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
The radio looks good to me, seems similar to a mid range Cobra here in the states. I don't like any CB antenna except the true quarter-wave 102" stainless whip. People complain about the size till I get them to try one and then they are hooked on it as well.

I'm not a fan of the big coil at the bottom of those Orbiter antennas, that seems like a spot that could easily be damaged plus most of the time a coil like that is simply creating loss in your system. You'll need to make sure the countries you will be visiting allow use of the frequencies on that radio and that you won't need a non-resident license to use them abroad.

Also keep in mind that some of this was written to apply to those of us in the States.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

The radio looks good to me, seems similar to a mid range Cobra here in the states. I don't like any CB antenna except the true quarter-wave 102" stainless whip. People complain about the size till I get them to try one and then they are hooked on it as well.

I'm not a fan of the big coil at the bottom of those Orbiter antennas, that seems like a spot that could easily be damaged plus most of the time a coil like that is simply creating loss in your system. You'll need to make sure the countries you will be visiting allow use of the frequencies on that radio and that you won't need a non-resident license to use them abroad.

Also keep in mind that some of this was written to apply to those of us in the States.
THANKS for the reply. Hopefully I'll be getting more UK responses which will be more beneficial to me.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
THANKS for the reply. Hopefully I'll be getting more UK responses which will be more beneficial to me.
@Joedie To get information that will apply more to you, you might consider putting the country/region where you are in the title so only those with info that you can use would post. This would also be good so in the future when someone is wanting to travel to Japan, they could easily search for the country they were researching.

@Defender 90 Keith You might want to start your own UK/EU thread. I don't know how much reciprocity there is over there concerning things like this. I know I'd have to apply for non-resident Amateur licenses in about any country I'd travel to coming from the US but those are generally granted without issue and for minimal cost most times.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

@Joedie To get information that will apply more to you, you might consider putting the country/region where you are in the title so only those with info that you can use would post. This would also be good so in the future when someone is wanting to travel to Japan, they could easily search for the country they were researching.

@Defender 90 Keith You might want to start your own UK/EU thread. I don't know how much reciprocity there is over there concerning things like this. I know I'd have to apply for non-resident Amateur licenses in about any country I'd travel to coming from the US but those are generally granted without issue and for minimal cost most times.
I think there is too much repetition throughout the forums so I don't want to add to it. I'll keep my eyes peeled for UK responses on here

Reactions: TerryD