Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Every trip is different and I never know where I will be headed next, so I like to pack by modules which helps me get out the door without forgetting stuff I need. @Michael dId a great video a few years ago about Getting out of town in 20 minutes and, even though I can never get packed that quickly, I share his philosophy on the method. I have a case for food, one for recovery gear, a pack for my tent and sleeping gear, you get the picture.

Over the past few years, I’ve built a sort of “communications go bag” that I can throw in the truck and know that I’ve got all the batteries, adapters, chargers, etc that I need without having to take inventory every time I pack. I added a new piece today and, since I had everything out, decided to take a few pics and share how I organize my radio gear. Keep in mind, this is just what I take when truck camping or on road trips. I don’t always take all my radios, but I’ve found it’s much easier to remove stuff than remember to pack it in the first place. Either way, the bag is ready anytime I am.

I mysteriously found myself at Harbor Freight today and they had a skid of their knock-off Pelican cases on sale. Since I‘ve wanted to build a dedicated DMR kit, I figured this would be a good way to keep my DMR radio and hotspot organized. It’s a small case but it works very well for what I need and it fits nicely in the backpack that I use.

0A977028-4A77-46C8-B05F-C0BE8B032EA2.jpeg

62140AB6-525B-4C37-86C1-2992E6FDBBCB.jpeg

This little case has everything I need to work DMR and I think it will be easy to just grab and go. The little Pi-Spot is great because it will power off the USB ports in the truck and will connect to my phone hotspot so I can use it anywhere. Essentially it acts like a very short range personal DMR repeater so I can talk worldwide as long as I’m within about 150 feet of my truck. The RT82 also dual bands on 2m/70cm so I can use it like a regular HT if I want.

I also picked up a cheap set of FRS walkie talkies last Black Friday because my wife and I wanted to have them for spotting on trails and for when we are in a group where not everyone has CB or HAM radio. They are super cheap (like less than $20 cheap) but they are small form factor and they have worked well for the first few times we have used them. I keep them in their own little case because we found - while decorating for Christmas - that we use them when working around the yard too and this keeps them and all the charging cables handy.

F00AA2AB-1534-405D-8256-833CE259F05C.jpeg

I also keep a small Asus Netbook in the backpack for programming radios and editing / sharing codeplugs. I think I’ve had this little laptop for about 9-10 years and the battery won’t even hold charge anymore but it still runs CHIRP and the DMR codeplug software so it has stayed in my kit.

The two HTs that I use most are the Yaesu VX-8r which I absolutely love and the little Baofeng UV-5R which I use to throw codeplugs onto when I want to try to hit repeaters in cities we visit. Just look up repeaters on RadioReference or RepeaterBook and load them up via CHIRP. It only takes a few minutes and it’s fun to talk on local repeaters when traveling around.

DD1A4FFF-202F-4264-8D6E-774E52BFAD0C.jpeg

I was gifted a backpack from a Motorola vendor a few years back so everything lives in that and it keeps all the programming cables, antennas, and chargers organized while remaining accessible. I keep the radios in the top compartment because it is padded but I can also put them on the side pockets if I want to turn them on and used them as scanners.

I’ve gone back and forth about hardwiring a 2m/70cm mobile in the truck. So far my HTs (when connected to an exterior antenna) have done everything I need without having to worry about programming a dedicated radio for the truck. I also connect the audio out on my HTs to my stereo so the sound is pretty good but a dedicated mobile would mean I don’t have to hook the radio up whenever I want to use it. So far the setup works well for me but there is always room for improvement, right?

So, does anyone else have a similar kit? How do you keep your radio gear organized? What could I do better?

Here is what my full kit looks like as of this afternoon. I forgot to take the Retevis RT82 out of the case and my CB is hardwired under the seat so those aren’t in these pics but this is where it stands right now.

97606B57-F340-4847-9918-50AE81FAD607.jpeg

88FCC0B8-8569-4E42-A816-F895E7851C0B.jpeg

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

One benefit of having a rig full of comms, it's one less thing I have to worry about grabbing on my way out.
I keep a HT with me often as well but I do need to get one for the wife, or put a mobile in her vehicle as well since if we have to bail we will be in 2 separate vehicles.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

One benefit of having a rig full of comms, it's one less thing I have to worry about grabbing on my way out.
I keep a HT with me often as well but I do need to get one for the wife, or put a mobile in her vehicle as well since if we have to bail we will be in 2 separate vehicles.
I would love to have a nice dual band mobile in the truck but just can’t justify it right now since the HT does what I need. I’m also curious how often you update the codeplug in your mobile? When you travel, do you program the repeaters where you are driving before you leave or just search them when you get there? The only time I hear much on simplex is when I am trail riding with a group. HF is still pretty lively (I need to level up for that one) but it seems like everyone on 2m/70cm is on a repeater. I know it’s just as easy to program a mobile as it is an HT but then I have yet another thing to keep up with.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I would love to have a nice dual band mobile in the truck but just can’t justify it right now since the HT does what I need. I’m also curious how often you update the codeplug in your mobile? When you travel, do you program the repeaters where you are driving before you leave or just search them when you get there? The only time I hear much on simplex is when I am trail riding with a group. HF is still pretty lively (I need to level up for that one) but it seems like everyone on 2m/70cm is on a repeater. I know it’s just as easy to program a mobile as it is an HT but then I have yet another thing to keep up with.
I've done it both ways, reprogramming the radio with all the repeaters along my route when I am solo or running simplex when in a group and just have the local repeater info with me in case I need it.
I do enjoy HF as well and with the next solar cycle starting it will only get better.

Reactions: J.W.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have two cases for comms, even lined with 3mm metal tape for EMP. Hand helds, GMRS/FRS/HAM and CB adds up to a lot of gear.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I have two cases for comms, even lined with 3mm metal tape for EMP. Hand helds, GMRS/FRS/HAM and CB adds up to a lot of gear.
It does add up quickly! My setup isn’t necessarily for bugging out but it is a nice side effect to have it all already packed for emergencies too.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

Mtntrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hurricane, UT
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Bauer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0THS
My commo go bag is in a Condor Utility Shoulder Bag. It has two Yaesu FT60 hand helds with Diamond SRH77CA antenna and a tactical bendable 18 inch antenna. A PTT ear piece, AC charger. DC charger, sunjack solar panel for charging batteries/cell phone/tablet, spare NIMh battery pack and AA rechargeable battery pack, VHF Slim Jim antenna 144-148 mhz for more range, a repeater directory book and notebook with pen. Inside the Condor bag I have 3 Husky zippered bags for keeping smaller items together

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow and J.W.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

My commo go bag is in a Condor Utility Shoulder Bag. It has two Yaesu FT60 hand helds with Diamond SRH77CA antenna and a tactical bendable 18 inch antenna. A PTT ear piece, AC charger. DC charger, sunjack solar panel for charging batteries/cell phone/tablet, spare NIMh battery pack and AA rechargeable battery pack, VHF Slim Jim antenna 144-148 mhz for more range, a repeater directory book and notebook with pen. Inside the Condor bag I have 3 Husky zippered bags for keeping smaller items together
How do you like the solar charger? I would like to add something like that to my kit.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I've gone with a similar idea, mostly because we have 3 vehicles we can jump in and go...

Love the Harbor Freight cases!!!
You are way more organized than I am. I need to get on your level!

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I don't know why, but somehow the more I try to get organized, the less organized I seem to be. Putting stuff in dedicated "grab & go" containers with labels seems to be working though... All I know is it's better than this:
545190c1f94fad318bd7d569486ff746.jpg

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I've gone with a similar idea, mostly because we have 3 vehicles we can jump in and go...
View attachment 134673 View attachment 134674
Love the Harbor Freight cases!!!
Same here. You can’t beat them. I’m up to 7 and still counting. Same set up as you, any combination for different trips and requirements for either of our vehicles and boat. Harbor Freight cases rock!

Reactions: HIALT2D

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Clean setup. The only thing I dislike about hardcases is all the wasted volume.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

A friend told me they are still on sale this weekend. I’m thinking about running over today and getting a couple of more. Hard to beat the price.
If you go to their website they always have a coupon for 25% off on the cases or when they are on sale they mark them down 25% so your good to go either way. I’m tempted to get a couple more. Thinking about a 4800 to put my kitchen gear in.

Sarge368

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Darby, MT
First Name
John
Last Name
Branham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7ECC
Several very nice setups shown. Thank you. I have a comms bag that a friend and I came up with. For starters I have a hard mounted Yaesu FT-8800 and a CB radio in the cab of my Jeep. The Yaesu is programmed with a couple of hundred repeaters in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana.

I always bring along is my little comms bag that is very compact for hiking/backpacking. The bag is an RRPS Admin Pouch Enhanced from TacticalTailor. It holds my Yaesu VX-7, antennae, battery, emergency antennae, paracord and carabiner as well as a printout of all the repeaters that are programmed into the VX-7. I have found that leaving the battery fully charged and not attached to the radio, I can leave it in the bag for 3-4 months and still have several hours of battery life. I don't know exactly how much as I have never had occasion to run it dead. I keep the charging cord for the VX-7 in my Jeep so the battery can be recharged as needed.

Admittedly everything in the bag is a very tight fit but it does work. I have the exact same setup with a Baofeng UV-5R and it fits much easier as the radio is a little bit smaller (and a lot cheaper!). I keep one of these setups in my wife's Jeep as she has no ham radio mounted yet.

This setup has worked really well for me as I like to go wheeling and hiking by myself. A friend of mine who also has his HAM license will turn on his radio if I let him know I am going out by myself. If you are not familiar with the emergency antennae it is called a Slim Jim. It is inexpensive and pretty rugged. It is meant to be suspended from a tree (hence the paracord and carabiner) and then attached to the radio. I have contacted a friend using this setup on simplex (no repeater) at over 30 miles.

Another benefit of this setup is the Yaesu FT-8800 can be used as a cross band repeater allowing me to use my portable Yaesu VX-7 to reach back to my FT-8800 which will then repeat the transmission on a different frequency and at a much higher power (50 watts in 2m) than the VX-7 can put out (5 watts). So far I have never been to a location that I could not hit a repeater with one or the other ham radio.

Yaeusu FT 8800.jpegComms bag.jpegOpen with contents.jpegside two with contents.jpegAll contents out of bag.jpegRadio assembled.jpegFrequency sheet.jpegfrequency sheet side two.jpegLength.jpegWidth.jpegthickness.jpeg