Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Does anyone still include a good reliable CB radio ? Or is it strictly GMRS and HAM now ?
I have a CB in my rig, it’s even hooked up... but typically it stays off... I find myself talking more and more on 2M and less on the CB... I use GRMS for spotters... your mileage might differ.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
CB? I have one, but it stays home a lot since I can’t tell you the last time I heard a conversation, much less an intelligent conversation.

I’ve carried ham gear for many moons, but the guys I typically overland with use gmrs.

Stormcrow

Rank IV

Traveler III

Houston, TX
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bleakley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5DSB
I have CB, GMRS, and ham in my rig. I try to stick to the ham as much as possible but it really depends on the situation. One of the lessons-learned the local ARES group here took away from Hurricane Harvey was that all of the fanciest ham equipment in the world doesn’t help coordinate semi trucks bringing in supplies if the trucks only have CBs.
C667167E-E782-488C-A81B-F4E45E51C776.jpeg

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I have CB, GMRS, and ham in my rig. I try to stick to the ham as much as possible but it really depends on the situation. One of the lessons-learned the local ARES group here took away from Hurricane Harvey was that all of the fanciest ham equipment in the world doesn’t help coordinate semi trucks bringing in supplies if the trucks only have CBs.
View attachment 152866
Amen, the right tool for the right job. But training often helps the use and understanding of that tool so you'll be effective when the time comes. Plus, it's fun.....

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'm setup for HAM, GMRS and CB. I rarely use the CB, use the GMRS about daily and HAM when I feel like or am running with people who are setup for. I was licensed for HAM for a few years before getting my GMRS license and I have to say I probably use GMRS more often now days than HAM.

Reactions: Xjguy76

Xjguy76

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Reeves
Member #

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good yet affordable GMRS unit ? I appreciate you guys input very much ! Just trying to decide which way to go first . No sense in spending money on or installing gear that I will never use .

Reactions: Graeman

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Does anyone have a recommendation on a good yet affordable GMRS unit ? I appreciate you guys input very much ! Just trying to decide which way to go first . No sense in spending money on or installing gear that I will never use .
Turn Key Mobiles-

BTECH makes a GMRS version of their 50watt HAM mobile called the BTECH GRMS 50X1. It's under 200 dollars and offers features other radios (Midland) on the market do not have, such as ability to monitor HAM frequencies. It'll allow you to access GMRS repeaters as well. I use a lot of BTech products and haven't had any issues and questions to customer service reps have typically been answered quickly.

The Midland radio that comes close to it is the MXT400. Runs at 40 watts. Is a rebadaged Chinese HAM radio (nothing wrong with that) programmed and FCC certified specifically for GMRS. This radio will run you aroudn 250 dollars. Allows access to GMRS repeaters. Some of the smaller less powerful Midland units don't have repeater capability.

Some lower cost Midlands that have less features and lower power output.

Here's Midlands whole mobile product line up

Not Turn Key mobiles-
Basically any surplus commercial radio. This has the possibility of being the lowest cost option since you can get surplus UHF commercial radios on Ebay for 50-100 bucks all day long. The Kenwood TK880 is super popular option here. Motorola has some good stuff but their software is insanely hard to find since they've super protective of it. This isn't a turnkey solution because any surplus commercial radio would have to be programmed before use and you can't change settings on the fly most times requiring you to hook a computer up to reprogram. I've got a couple of Motorola Surplus mobiles I have programmed up for GMRS use. Commerical radios are also built like tanks. They'll probably outlast your kid's kids.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Handhelds-
Cheapest option but not a substitute for a good mobile with an external antenna no matter how much people try to rig their way around it. Lots of manufacturers make them. Midland of course (they're basically the GMRS leader at this point they have jumped in with both feet)

BTECH makes a version of their UV-82 that's certified for GMRS use. I've got one of them it's a pretty good GMRS handheld.

Cobra, some no name brands at Wal Mart, various Chinese brands on Amazon

You can go with surplus units here as well. I've got a handful of surplus Motorola Jedi series radios that I use for GMRS and HAM. But again these aren't turnkey and require computer programming.

SO yeah sorry for the flood of info but without more data on what you want to do it's hard to say "here this is the best option". Do you want handhelds? Do you want a permanently installed mobile? Both? Budget?

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I dislike anything permanently mounted in the cab, invites thieves. I have CB/GMRS/Ham as portable units, GMRS is the most often used.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I dont know about down south, but here in the Northwest I think a CB is a necessity if you will be around any active logging. Most logging operations here put out a CB channel and mile markers on trails they are using, its good practice to be able to at least here when a truck is calling out mile markers so you can get out of the way. For that reason I just have a super basic hand held CB that gets turned on if I see signs for active logging.

Reactions: Elk311 and Xjguy76

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I have a CB, GMRS and Ham in my Land Cruiser. The CB does not take up any space as it is a remote head unit. I mostly monitor the CB on the highway and it has saved me a couple of times in avoiding closed interstates due to accidents.

I also have it because I'm heading to Alaska and the truckers on the Dalton Highway use their CB .

Attachments

Xjguy76

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Reeves
Member #

Wow ! thank you first and foremost for the info ,I will definitely have to do my research lol as this will be my first delve into anything other than CB I'm a little overwhelmed to say the least....that being said I do know I want a permanent mount in my rig . As far as handhelds , not sure maybe add at a later date if the need arises ? I want to be able to communicate in a convoy should I need to . That's the short list ...budget can be flexible would love to be $200-300 all in ,not even sure if that's fesible. Just looking to be setup to what everyone else is using . Thank you again for your help, as this will be my first true "overland " build not just an off-road toy guidance is very appreciated !

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Wow ! thank you first and foremost for the info ,I will definitely have to do my research lol as this will be my first delve into anything other than CB I'm a little overwhelmed to say the least....that being said I do know I want a permanent mount in my rig . As far as handhelds , not sure maybe add at a later date if the need arises ? I want to be able to communicate in a convoy should I need to . That's the short list ...budget can be flexible would love to be $200-300 all in ,not even sure if that's fesible. Just looking to be setup to what everyone else is using . Thank you again for your help, as this will be my first true "overland " build not just an off-road toy guidance is very appreciated !
You can get good quality 2meter radios for around $150, then about another $50ish for a good antenna. Then cable and mounting will depend on how you set things up. But I think $300 is a reasonable budget, especially if you grab some used gear.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You can get good quality 2meter radios for around $150, then about another $50ish for a good antenna. Then cable and mounting will depend on how you set things up. But I think $300 is a reasonable budget, especially if you grab some used gear.
Used gear is good. I purchased my 2M radio used for 100 shipped, built the antenna, and bought coax... all in all about 120 bucks.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We aren’t really into the whole communications thing. However, I do lead one tour per year so I did break down and purchase a CB. It’s a small 100 dollar job, mounted discreetly so it’s hard to see from outside the vehicle. If we did go wheelin a lot in groups, which we don’t, I’d get what our local chapter recommends which is a hand held HAM. We ( my wife and I ) prefer going out alone so there is really no need to communicate with anyone but ourselves. If an emergency should ever arise we do carry a PLB along with a pretty good safety kit and proper survival gear.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

For CB, I have a Cobra 75WX installed under the seat and the controller/mic in the center console which keeps it out of sight when not in use. For the antenna, I have a mag-mount that is stowed with the spare when not in use.

For GMRS, I just have a pair of inexpensive FRS handhelds that will let me talk to the GMRS folks in a pinch.

I mostly use Ham radio and talk to way more people on my Ham radio than either CB or GMRS.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Interesting thread, in BC most groups have gone Ham. CB is all but dead in and GMRS and FRS simply do not seem have much of an adoption rate. Part of the reason I suspect for ham popularity up here is the logging companies are all on VHF, and those trucks will call thier KM markers and do not move over ,most because they can not.

The problem is to transmit on the commercial band you need a different license, you can listen but not transmit. It is pretty common for people to get a handheld that transmits on those bands and sends their KM without a license, as far as I know no one gets charged as a pretty big safety issue on both sides. Not to mention trying to figure out the licensing will drive you insane.

I do it myself, and the logging truck drivers appreciate knowing there is incoming traffic.

Reactions: Dilldog and Downs

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Interesting thread, in BC most groups have gone Ham. CB is all but dead in and GMRS and FRS simply do not seem have much of an adoption rate. Part of the reason I suspect for ham popularity up here is the logging companies are all on VHF, and those trucks will call thier KM markers and do not move over ,most because they can not.

The problem is to transmit on the commercial band you need a different license, you can listen but not transmit. It is pretty common for people to get a handheld that transmits on those bands and sends their KM without a license, as far as I know no one gets charged as a pretty big safety issue on both sides. Not to mention trying to figure out the licensing will drive you insane.

I do it myself, and the logging truck drivers appreciate knowing there is incoming traffic.
I wish loggers here would go ham, but iys still all cb.

Reactions: M Rose