Coming from Los Angeles to Arizona. (Need Suggestions)

• HTML tutorial

MarioDidIt

Rank III

Advocate II

Hello South Westerners!

Fellow FJ owner from Los Angeles, planning a trip to AZ next weekend. (March 24-26th) This will be my first time exploring in AZ in an overland capable vehicle so I would love to explore some areas that most people don't get to see. Thats what brought me to this section of the forum, I need opinions/suggestions from the locals! haha

My buddy and I are leaving either Thursday night (late start 9pm-ish) or Friday super early and coming back Sunday but don't really have a plan on where to go each day / or where to camp each night.

Originally I was thinking of sticking to the Grand Canyon area since I have never been there but after researching some more of the Arizona areas I started to develop another route.

As of right now it looks like we'd head out Thursday night, and find some BLM land near Phoenix to pull over and sleep in so we can get a head start Friday morning. Head north towards Sedona (maybe go check out Knoll Lake) and then the trails near Sedona like Schnebly Hill and maaayyybbe Broken Arrow (I read that one can get a little technical with the steps/ledges) then head to the Red Rock Crossing area and camp there Friday night. On Saturday we'd head up towards the Grand Canyon (maybe NE towards Horseshoe Bend) then come back down and head towards Havasupai Point and camp in that area for the night. Sunday, head out early, stop by Peach Springs, and take Diamond Creek Rd to the bottom of the canyon and hang out before coming home that evening.

TL:DR
1. Leave LA Thursday night, sleep on BLM land towards Phoenix
2. Knoll Lake, then Sedona area for Schenbly Hill and maybe Broken Arrow
3. Friday night camp at Red Rock Crossing area
4. Saturday head to Grand Canyon (maybe Horseshoe Bend)
5. Saturday night camp near Havasupai Point
6. Head to Peach Springs and take Diamond Creek Rd to the bottom of the canyon
7. Come home

This route was planned based off a ton of google searches haha but I am open to all and any suggestions from someone who is more familiar with Arizona. Here are some other areas I found interesting but I only have 3 days and don't want to try and plan something that isnt possible.
  • Toroweap Overlook
  • Marble Canyon
  • Grandview Lookout
  • Glen Canyon
  • Antelope Canyon
  • Antelope Island

MarioDidIt

Rank III

Advocate II

So far, this looks like the planned route:
1. Leave LA Thursday night, sleep on BLM land towards Phoenix/Prescott
2. Friday morning Sedona area for Schenbly Hill and maybe Broken Arrow
3. Friday night camp at Red Rock Crossing area
4. Saturday head to Grand Canyon area
5. Saturday night camp near Havasupai Point
6. Sunday head to Peach Springs and take Diamond Creek Rd to the bottom of the canyon
7. Come home

Anyone have any suggestions?

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I guess it depends on where you really want to go and spend time. AZ is big in off roading and you can drive more dirt roads than paved ones here. If you are camping Thursday night in the Phx area I-17 north, depending on when you arrive you should go to Crown King, AZ. It is a small mining town up in the hills just north of Phoenix. There is a front way and back way up to there. I would suggest the front way up to town on graded dirt roads that are fun to run especially in the evening/night with big lights. You will find rabbits, snakes and tarantulas crossing the dirt roads all evening. Camp in Crown King and then head to Sedona and hit the Pink Jeep trails that can be found on maps in any of the adventure stores in town. The trails are free to run on and you will see tourists in pink Jeeps and Atv's on the trails. From there you can get back onto the pavement and head to Flagstaff or if time is not a factor take the NFS dirt roads up. If those sound worth doing I can give you more information about each of the areas.

MarioDidIt

Rank III

Advocate II

I guess it depends on where you really want to go and spend time. AZ is big in off roading and you can drive more dirt roads than paved ones here. If you are camping Thursday night in the Phx area I-17 north, depending on when you arrive you should go to Crown King, AZ. It is a small mining town up in the hills just north of Phoenix. There is a front way and back way up to there. I would suggest the front way up to town on graded dirt roads that are fun to run especially in the evening/night with big lights. You will find rabbits, snakes and tarantulas crossing the dirt roads all evening. Camp in Crown King and then head to Sedona and hit the Pink Jeep trails that can be found on maps in any of the adventure stores in town. The trails are free to run on and you will see tourists in pink Jeeps and Atv's on the trails. From there you can get back onto the pavement and head to Flagstaff or if time is not a factor take the NFS dirt roads up. If those sound worth doing I can give you more information about each of the areas.
Thank you! The Crown King suggestion is perfect. I figure we wont be getting to that are until past midnight so itd be perfect to just drive to this area, and find a spot to sleep at for the night. The main goal for our trip is astrophotography so a late arrival isnt too bad when keeping that in mind haha

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
To get to Crown King, take I-17n to exit 248. Follow CK Road (CR59) follow that all the way into town. You will go through Bumble Bee and Cleator before you arrive in Crown King. www.CrownKingAZ.com this will give you some information about the town.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Here is a quick shot of Sedona. There are 6 trails that the Pink Jeeps do, if you pick out a number I can send you more information on that area.IMG_8325.jpg

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4 Wheel Drive Trails. second edition, 100 trails. It shows easy moderate and difficult trails Its a Funtreks guidebook. Charles A. Wells & Matt Peterson

Reactions: FrankRoams

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
There might be snow at Havasupi Point. North Rim is all snow still including stuff outside the park. You should look at the Little Colorado. Very good chance you will be the only people out there. It requires a permit, you can get that in Cameron but they are on Mountain vs Pacific time so plan accordingly.

Reactions: MarioDidIt

MarioDidIt

Rank III

Advocate II

There might be snow at Havasupi Point. North Rim is all snow still including stuff outside the park. You should look at the Little Colorado. Very good chance you will be the only people out there. It requires a permit, you can get that in Cameron but they are on Mountain vs Pacific time so plan accordingly.
I just seen that there is a chance of rain on Saturday, not much. Hopefully not enough to wash out the roads to the point.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
If it's just a chance of rain then you should have nothing to worry about here in AZ. It is very rare that we get enough rain to actually wash away our dirt roads, especially if it is just a 1 day rain.

CJ525

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Chula Vista, California 91910, United States
First Name
Chip
Last Name
Jones
Member #

It'll take some planning, for a future trip, check out El Camino del Diablo. You'll need to visit the BLM to watch a video and get permits. They are free and good for a year. There is also a $12 pay station for organ pipe national preserve. Basically it runs the Mexico border from Ajo to Yuma. Or vice versa.

Right now the desert is in full bloom and temperatures are great. I went two weeks ago. However, by the middle of April, those temps are going to start climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: YPD1

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I especially like the fact that the book is ring bound instead of glue bound. My glue bound Backroads book is falling apart.

Last edited:

MarioDidIt

Rank III

Advocate II

Ok guys, leaving tonight.

Here is the itinerary;

1. Leaving Los Angles tonight, heading for Lake Prescott/China Dam area.
(Wont be getting to that area until 1-2 am so I wanted to head to an easy area where I can find a spot to pull over and sleep for the night)

2.Friday morning wake up and go to the the Red Rock/Sedona area. Schnebly Hill, Broken Arrow, Bloody Basin, Mogollo Rim, and Devils Bridge are all points of interest for the day, but depending on how timing goes I know Ill only be able to go to a few of those places, but one of them will definitely be camp for the night.

3. Saturday morning go see the Grand Falls, NE of Flagstaff and then head to Tusayan, head to Havasupai Point and set up camp for the night. (50% chance of showers, really hoping for less since we'll be in one rig and I read that the roads can get bad when wet.)

4. Sunday morning head out, and stop by Peach Springs, AZ to head down to Diamond Creek Campground (bottom of the canyon) hang out for the day and then head back to LA that night.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Friday is going to be a full day if you are wanting to hit all of those places. Do you need maps and directions for those places?

Last edited:

MarioDidIt

Rank III

Advocate II

Theyre just the places I am interested in going to see, I know I wont be able to go to all of them. I definitely don't want to be in a scheduled rush so Ill just be going with the flow. ;)