Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I agree 70% with it being the same. The one thing you miss is being in the vehicle to apply the breaks. I wouldn’t hand winch alone up over obstacles. However I wouldn‘t put myself in those situations alone. I think it’s super useful for average mud or just when you are hung up on something small and need a tug. As I said, you won’t be in the vehicle to hit the breaks or gas so there is an increased risk.
That’s what I meant by the question. It seems you can get the vehicle moving, but you might need some other means to slow it once out of the muck. With a winc, you are in the vehicle and can apply brakes. Are there vids on YouTube that show how to use a come along solo?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Grubworm is from LA (Louisiana) not the west cost. They have bogs that are swamps by any other name. He might have a pretty good idea.
Love the meme....

Maybe on the west coast.

But overlanding in the mid west be like:

Reactions: MidOH

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

That’s what I meant by the question. It seems you can get the vehicle moving, but you might need some other means to slow it once out of the muck. With a winc, you are in the vehicle and can apply brakes. Are there vids on YouTube that show how to use a come along solo?
There are 400 hours of YouTube of uploads every minute, it may take a while to find them.