Traveler I

Toledo, WA, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Morrison
Member #

Hey everybody,
I'm not as active on this site as I should be, but I could use some info. I'm taking a trip to Colorado the beginning of September, and while I've explored there plenty on foot, I haven't spent any real time exploring in my truck. I'll be there about a week and was wondering if any of you have any good spots to explore and set up camp around the state you'd be willing to share. I'll be heading down from Washington.
Thanks

Roam Bearded

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Ogden, Utah 84403, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Cramer
Member #

The Red Feather Lakes area has quite a few trails and a number of dispersed camp sites. Don't miss out on Gnome Road if you're in the area. And the Potbelly restaurant & bar is a great little spot for a burger.

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Colorado is my "go-to" camping,/fishing/overlanding state. You really can't go wrong in any of the mountainous areas. If you're into campground-type camping, I'd suggest looking at their State Parks system. Every State Park in which we camped was great. Clean, well managed, and in beautiful areas. I love the Grand Mesa area - amazing beauty, lots of lakes. The area around Silverton and Ouray is always amazing, but the old mining roads can get a bit crowded over weekends. Good luck on your trip.

Gillbrak

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Denver, CO
Member #

Hey everybody,
I'm not as active on this site as I should be, but I could use some info. I'm taking a trip to Colorado the beginning of September, and while I've explored there plenty on foot, I haven't spent any real time exploring in my truck. I'll be there about a week and was wondering if any of you have any good spots to explore and set up camp around the state you'd be willing to share. I'll be heading down from Washington.
Thanks
Get these books on Amazon.

Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails, 3rd Edition

There are two versions for CO. Many of these trails offer dispersed camping. Buena Vista, Telluride, Ouray, Steamboat areas are some of my favorites.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hey everybody,
Thanks
Are you coming just to do this or will you be here for something else? Just wondering what your starting point is.